I have a horrible computer problem

DAL59

My Windows 10 computer freezes every few minutes.  My mouse does not freeze, but I cannot use the taskbar, I cannot interact with any programs like google, and I cannot use wifi.  I fix this by using cntr alt delete to open task manager to reset windows explorer, and then my computer works normally for a few more minutes before freezing again.  However, it takes 5 minutes to reset windows explorer, making using my computer very inefficient.    

Isolate it from the .net OR leave it connected to the .net alone.

Either it's trying to do something impossible or it's in an impossible state that it needs some confessions.

Edited by YNM

I am incredibly tempted to recommend that you install Linux. But, barring that, here are some recommendations in addition to what the other posters have given:

0. Back up all your important information, just in case. USB flash drives, an external hard drive, or a cloud storage account will all work for this.

1. Unplug everything that isn't your screen, mouse, and keyboard. If the problem goes away, plug it all back in, one at a time, to see if you can figure out what hardware is causing the freezing. If you find it, try updating the drivers or switching for a different one.

2. Check your task manager to see if any processes are taking up huge amounts of memory/CPU. If they can be safely removed, try uninstalling and then reinstalling them, paying close attention to the install options.

3. Try running a malware scan on your computer. I recommend the free version of Malwarebytes, but it doesn't hurt to use two scanners (just not at the same time)

4. Try checking your hard disk for errors. If it is an older computer, system files could have gotten corrupted and may need to be restored.

5. If nothing works, try restoring or reinstalling Windows. I don't know exactly how to do this for Windows 10, so do some googling first. Again, back up all your information.

6. If all else fails, install Linux.

3 hours ago, MDZhB said:

If all else fails, install Linux.

If OP (@DAL59) is sure that this is caused by some sort of malware, I'd recommend this as well, albeit on a dual boot. I know it's kind of a PITA but if possible, you can hunt down the malware/virus yourself from Linux.

Although if that is the case you can also see it from Task Manager, in the services/processes. Just look for anything out of place.

Edited by YNM

Linux would be a very last resort for me, and I mean a last resort after formatting all my hardrives and dumping all my data.

But if that doesnt work then your computer is haunted and linux doesnt help with that.

Liniux is not a gamers OS (dont tell me you're a professional e-sports player and you have a hand-soldered rig with custom linux build and bespoke software ports, you know that doesnt count)

Edited by p1t1o

try this

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/windows-10/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532

if that doesnt fix it you could have a windows update that is messing with the pc.

you could also have some sort of malware that shuts down explorer.exe so download a program like CCleaner and some sort of malware remover. you should run those every month or so anyways.

honestly it may be faster and better to do a complete reinstall of windows 10 so its all fresh and ready for abuse.

On 7/7/2018 at 7:36 PM, DAL59 said:

Oddly, it fixed itself.  

Was probably some kind of background update then. Or potentially an unnoticed update fixed whatever bug or incompatibility was causing it.

When Einstein [supposedly] said “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” he had obviously never encountered a modern computer.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.