Mk3 Cargo Bays with high ground plates! (Postponed indefinitely)

Kebab Kerman

13 members have voted

1. 1. Would you guys like to see 7.5m Mk3 (Mk3XL) parts? (Will include 5m, 10m, and 20m parts, cargo doors, and multiple adapters, and are just enlarged Mk3 parts.)

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but in another mod
    • Just make the DS cargo ramp you walnut

1 minute ago, Kebab Kerman said:

Got it. I'm only just starting, so I'm not the best at it. The colliders are made form several different parts, all combined together in Wings 3D. I'll work on it more tomorrow.

ok, you need to not combine them then. They need to be separate game objects in unity.

Oh, and @neistridlar are triangular prisms accepted or do I need to use more cuboids? I want to make sure the new collision model is fine before uploading the new version to SpaceDock.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's fine. Everything works now! Updating now. Going to be adding more parts later on, probably some double-stacked parts.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

Tested it out, and yup, colliders are fine now. There is still some small discrepancies with the nodes, but at least there are no gaping holes. It's still does not have smoothed normals though.

Also, note that you have a moduleCargoBay in your configs, but this will not function. It needs an other module, like an animation to tell it whether it is supposed to be closed or not, so parts inside are not actually going to be shielded in any way in the current form.

@Kebab Kerman I use Felbourn''s NodeHelper to quickly and easily place nodes. With it, you can view live changes in node placement, without having to guestimate, then needing to restart KSP after each cfg edit to view the changes.

*Note that moving/editing nodes on rescaled parts is a bit moar involved, and takes some moar work/calculating.

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

@Kebab Kerman I use Felbourn''s NodeHelper to quickly and easily place nodes. With it, you can view live changes in node placement, without having to guestimate, then needing to restart KSP after each cfg edit to view the changes.

*Note that moving/editing nodes on rescaled parts is a bit moar involved, and takes some moar work/calculating.

THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU

Sorry for the caps and bold and italics but I'm just so happy right now!

7 hours ago, neistridlar said:

Tested it out, and yup, colliders are fine now. There is still some small discrepancies with the nodes, but at least there are no gaping holes. It's still does not have smoothed normals though.

Also, note that you have a moduleCargoBay in your configs, but this will not function. It needs an other module, like an animation to tell it whether it is supposed to be closed or not, so parts inside are not actually going to be shielded in any way in the current form.

Oh. I'm not skilled in coding for KSP, so I had no idea if it was necessary or not. My parts aren't going to have animations unless I make a Mk3 DS ramp tail. Here's a screenshot of the adapter for the DS parts!

QSqoDb0.png

I'm thinking of adding 3 cargo doors: A simple, ramp door, a clamshell-style door, and an upwards opening door. Might just stick with the first one, though.

EDIT: Decided on the simple ramp. Going to make it now.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I found out why I couldn't switch part tabs: I had to organize the files. Who knew? Probably a lot of you... Anyway, thanks @JH4C for telling me.

In other news, I might be making an elevator part. It will be the same length the 10m section, and will have the bottom completely flat. The animation shouldn't be too hard, as it is just a part lowering. The HS version will also extend up, so that you can utilize the extra space if you need to build, lets say, an aircraft that carries cars, or rovers. The tail ramp will be the hardest part, might actually just scrap it altogether. Probably will just make four new parts in the next update: A normal, single-level elevator, a separate adapter for the rectangular bottom, and HS versions of the two.

1 minute ago, Kebab Kerman said:

@neistridlar I'm making the animation for the elevator, should I create each frame as a separate model or animate it in Blender?

I do all my animations in Unity. It is less confusing than blender, at least for simple stuff like you are doing. One mesh for the moving stuff and one for the static stuff should be good (but avoid having lots of lots of separate meshes, as that is bad for performance).

@neistridlar Do you mind doing the animations for me? I think it's because I'm using a different version of unity from the tutorials, but I failed horribly and now the elevator just goes down and teleports back up only to go right back down again. It's starting to break my sanity.

EDIT: I'll try again tonight, and if I can't do the animations, I'll do a second edit and say so.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

20 hours ago, Kebab Kerman said:

@neistridlar Do you mind doing the animations for me? I think it's because I'm using a different version of unity from the tutorials, but I failed horribly and now the elevator just goes down and teleports back up only to go right back down again. It's starting to break my sanity.

EDIT: I'll try again tonight, and if I can't do the animations, I'll do a second edit and say so.

I could take a look. Just send me the models that need animation, and tell me how you want them.

49 minutes ago, neistridlar said:

I could take a look. Just send me the models that need animation, and tell me how you want them.

Alright. I'll send them when I get home in about 7 hours(?).

Oh, and should I attempt to make a ramp? I'm not sure if I should or not, because I'm scared I might screw up horribly.

Edited by Kebab Kerman

On 9/13/2018 at 6:54 AM, Kebab Kerman said:

Alright. I'll send them when I get home in about 7 hours(?).

Oh, and should I attempt to make a ramp? I'm not sure if I should or not, because I'm scared I might screw up horribly.

Go for it bro! Trying and failing is better than not trying at all. May learn something new too. Just make a copy of the model and dont work off the master repo incase stuff breaks :) im happy to see youre still working on this. I saw earlier posts you got a bit frustrated. Thats normal i think. Keep up the hard work and im sure this will turn out as a splendid addon to the mk3 profile. Cheers!

What i think of when i see this mod in addon-dev :)

Edited by Jesusthebird

Alright, got the elevator parts exported, launching the game to test them now. Lets hope for your sake I don't get angry and open the portal to the Kraken's home dimension to unleash it's divine wrath upon the multiverse.

EDIT: Worked like a charm! :D

Edited by Kebab Kerman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.