How do I download mods?

In general, you can install mods 1) automatically (CKAN) or 2) manually.

1) CKAN

CKAN is the easiest solution. The tool will take care of dependencies, updates and compatibility. Many mods support CKAN (but not all of them) and usually, everything works perfectly fine. The linked thread contains a download link right at the top.
RCmd2xj.png

The GUI is pretty simple. You can filter the displayed mods, search for names, authors or description, apply updates and even launch the game.
To install a mod, all you have to do is put a checkmark on the left of the mod list, right in the column called 'installed', and hit 'Apply changes' (it is grey in my screen but it becomes green as soon as you change anything in your selection).
CKAN will automatically select the dependencies, suggest some additional mods you may be interested in as well and download + install everything for you.
There are some additional nice features like export/import mod lists but lets focus on installation ;)

2) Manually

Some mods don't support CKAN and some mods are compatible with a newer version of KSP but are not listed as compatible (i.e. EVE, SVE...). Than, you have to install these mods manually. Don't worry, it is not very complicated :)

First of all, there are different sources of mods:

• Spacedock (provides a short preview/description and you can search for mods, many mods available)
  • CurseForge (also a short preview/description and a search function)
  • This forum /github (searching the forum can be difficult but the mod threads contain the most informations about the mod. Most threads contain a download link to Spacedock, CurseForge and/or GitHub)

Wherever you find and download a mod, you will always end with a .zip file (or tar.gz for linux) which contains the mods files.
MOST times, the .zip file will contain a folder structure like this:

• GameData
    • ModName
      • ModFiles

Sometimes, the GameData folder is missing, but that is totally fine, don't worry about it...it's more for orientation ;)

To install the mod, you have to open your KSP install directory. You have to find it on your own, but I'm sure you can do that :)
You wil lfind this folder structure:

• KSP_install_directory
    • GameData
      • Squad
      • SquadExpansion (DLC,optional)
    • [...]
    • KSP.exe
    • KSP_x64.exe
    • [...]

The 'GameData' folder is the same as the one which comes with your mod!
Extract/copy the content of the mod 'GameData' folder, into the 'GameData' folder of your KSP install, so, you will end up with this structure:

• KSP_install_directory
    • GameData
      • ModName
        • ModFiles
      • Squad
      • SquadExpansion (DLC,optional)
    • [...]
    • KSP.exe
    • KSP_x64.exe
    • [...]

As you can see, you don't need the 'GameData' folder which may comes with the mod, it is more like 'hey look, everything wich is in this GameData folder must be in the GameData folder of your game' ;)

That's all, you installed this mod manually ;)

BUT:
Check the OP in the mod release section. Some mods require other mods to run properly (or at all), these are 'dependecies'. Dependencies are mentioned in the OP of the release thread or the description on Spacedock or CurseForge. You have to install these dependencies as well.
Sometimes, a mod is bundled with all required mods but not everytime. ALWAYS CHECK THE RELEASE THREAD and you will avoid a lot of problems ;)

Also, you have to take care of updates by checking the forum or the mod hosting site. Many mods use MiniAVC which will check for updates but like before: not all of them ;) These mods are bundled with a MiniAVC.dll. You can also install KSP-AVC which is like the big brother of MiniAVC ;)

I hope, I didn't missed anything^^

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

15 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Honestly, @4x4cheesecake's answer should be sticked at the top of the mod support forum.  It's a repeated question, and that's a great answer.

Thank you :)

You are right, questions about installing mods are pretty common. I already though about taking my post, fine tune it a bit (I'm not a native speaker and there are a few syntax/grammer/whatever issues I want to fix) and make it a tutorial... I'll see to find some time to do it ;)

7 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

By the way in case it's not obvious you need to put the CKAN executable into the game directory (inside KSP_win64 if it's on windows 64 bit) which is the same folder that the GameData folder and the KSP.exe are in.

Uhm...I got mine on the desktop and its working fine though...
A quote from the github notes:

SImply download the ckan.exe file and either store it in your game directory or somewhere in your filesystem that you have non-admin write access. Never run the CKAN client as Administrator!

So you don't need to place it in the game directory it is just one where you will definitly have write access ;)

Anyway, it is a good hint :)

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

Just now, 4x4cheesecake said:

Uhm...I got mine on the desktop and its working fine though...
A quote from the github notes:

So you don't need to place it in the game directory it is just one where you will definitly have write access ;)

Ahh, I've been doing an unnecessary step then!

If you have multiple installs of KSP (I have probably over a dozen) then you probably need to have it in your game directory to keep it from getting confused.

1 minute ago, Ultimate Steve said:

If you have multiple installs of KSP (I have probably over a dozen) then you probably need to have it in your game directory to keep it from getting confused.

I'm not using CKAN on a regular basis so I have no long-term experience with it but I have only one CKAN install which manages mods for 3 KSP installs without any issues so far :)

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I'm not using CKAN on a regular basis so I have no long-term experience with it but I have only one CKAN install which manages mods for 3 KSP installs without any issues so far :)

They can do multiple at once? I didn't know that! I guess I've been doing it wrong this entire time!

25 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

So you don't know this window? It should pop up everytime you launch CKAN:

It doesn't popup if it is only managing one install. 

So if you have an exe for each of your installs, then you'll never see the popup.

I think @Ultimate Steve may sitting in the corner, weeping, reconsidering decisions made in life at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

It doesn't popup if it is only managing one install. 

So if you have an exe for each of your installs, then you'll never see the popup.

I think @Ultimate Steve may sitting in the corner, weeping, reconsidering decisions made in life at this point. 

Aha, makes sense^^

@Ultimate Steve If the windows doesn't appear, you can open it through the menu: File -> Select KSP install
:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.