Had to go rescue Elvis...

GeneCash

Good question... well, "grep -R Elvis | grep -v saves" shows it's listed under KerbalSpecialNamesMale in KSP_Data/resources.assets, so yeah, it's a pre-made name.

Holy cow, there's pages and pages and pages of them.

Edit: and I did a Google search before posting, so I was surprised to apparently be the first one to post about Elvis.

Edited by GeneCash

Good question... well, "grep -R Elvis | grep -v saves" shows it's listed under KerbalSpecialNamesMale in KSP_Data/resources.assets, so yeah, it's a pre-made name.

WAIT HOLD UP

So, I don't suppose you can look through it for all the special names, right?

Edited by Xurkitree

24 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

So, I don't suppose you can look through it for all the special names, right?

Well of course I can open the file in emacs and search for "KerbalSpecialNamesMale" or "KerbalSpecialNamesFemale" and there's names in English, Cyrillic, and Chinese character sets.  It also looks like there's names for European, Asian, Slavic, and Hispanic cultures from a quick scan.

It looks like maybe a couple thousand names. Somebody spent TIME on that... some of them are generated like Seanfurt, Gregbart, Bilfrid, but some of them are real names like Amanda, Pamela, Benjamin, Lionel, Michael.

And I see some like Felipe, Elon, Kasper, Sébastien, which are recognizable to the forum folks as space celebrities, Squad QA/developers, or mod developers.

Edit: I wonder why I've never really seen the real names that often... I usually see the generated ones. However I have seen my own name in contract locations like "Gene's Horizon" and "Gene's Pile"

Edited by GeneCash

I wondered why you need language patches, if all the translation resources are in the code... so I downloaded one of the patches and unzipped it, and it's all the graphic artwork (dds/png/truecolor), the KSPedia .ksp files, and GameData/Squad/Localization/dictionary.cfg

11 minutes ago, Xurkitree said:

emacs huh

Yeah, I use Linux, which is actually why I got KSP in the first place, as it was one of the very first real games to run on Linux other than solitaire.

I've used various UNIX things since I started on Solaris about 30 years ago. I don't use Microsoft Windows or MAC OS at all.

Edit: I even had Richard Stallman spend the week at my apartment once, too!

Edited by GeneCash

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.