New Dan Kerman

Dan Kerman

Just a quick hello to my new and fellow Kermanians...  Always been a space flight NASA fan since I was a little kid. I still remember watching Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on TV for the first moon landing. Wrote my high school physics paper on NASA moon project. A- :)Now watch NASA TV on a regular basis...  And now Kerbal!

I'm going thru the training scenarios..  "To the Mun" right now..  stuck on one of the concepts of orbital insertion but I have some forum reading to do as I'm sure there is a better explanation.

Happy Orbiting!

Dan Kerman

After watching a couple of tutorials..  their not bad really...  they get you going in the right direction.. I saw what I was doing wrong. My trans Muna trajectory wasn't bringing me in close enough to get Muna SOI. Once I adjusted for that, I was able to easily get Muna orbital insertion completed. That's todays accomplishment...  tomorrow, Muna landing. Or maybe later... today!

Only took me four tries to get stick a landing...  definitely takes practice. Managed to depart and return to Kerbal on the second try. It's coming along. Tried the orbital rendezvous twice...  so far, going to need more practice. I got the orbital inclination transition but adjusting orbital height to meet the other ship...  not so much. My wife thinks I'm nerding out but that's my natural state.

Welcome @Dan Kerman!

Rendezvous and docking were the hardest for me, too, at first.  Landing took a bit of trial and error to get the fuel loads right, but like you I was a kid during the Apollo programme, so some of that childhood fascination for spacecraft seems to help in eyeballing a workable design.  Oh - and that I grew up with Lunar Lander as one of the few computer games of its time.

On 11/29/2018 at 11:19 AM, Dan Kerman said:

Just a quick hello to my new and fellow Kermanians...  Always been a space flight NASA fan since I was a little kid. I still remember watching Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on TV for the first moon landing. Wrote my high school physics paper on NASA moon project. A- :)Now watch NASA TV on a regular basis...  And now Kerbal!

I'm going thru the training scenarios..  "To the Mun" right now..  stuck on one of the concepts of orbital insertion but I have some forum reading to do as I'm sure there is a better explanation.

Happy Orbiting!

Dan Kerman

Welcome to the Forums! 

As Geonvast said, the in-game tutorials aren't the best, so check out the "tutorials" section of the forum in case you have any questions. :)