Munar Base Collaboration Challenge

Hello, and welcome to the munar base collaboration challenge, where we as a community will be working together to build a mun base under restrictions, like a budget!

(Inspired by the Kerbin Collaborative Space Station Challenge by @Ultimate Steve)

The Beginning

Its been about 50 years since KASA has first went and landed on the mun. KASA hasn't been back since then, and people are urging them to return. KASA has given us a total budget of 1.75 million kilofunds (AKA 1,750,000 funds) to build a mun base that will deliver crews and tourists to and from the base. The base will be called Munbase One.

In this challenge, the participants will help construct the base using existing rockets to launch each part they have created and landers. We will be sharing and passing around a savefile that I have created to accomplish this. LKO is a 100km orbit.

The Rules

No Cheating, No savefile editing, No controlling other people's parts, only your ones, Everyone must work together, You Must Use An Existing Rocket For Launches, No Creating New Ones, You Can Do Simulation/Test Launches Before The Actual Launch That Costs Funds For "No Cost In The Budget", You Must Use Stock KSP, No MH

The Launch Vehicles/Rockets

There are 6 launch vehicles to choose from. You must use one of them for launching, not make a new one. You cannot change fairing size, unless you want to pay an extra 12,500 funds.

Rocket 1 - Ares IIB

4UqSyT4.png

Cost: 17.1k. Tons To LKO/TLI: 3.5 tons. Flies Once Every: 25 days. Ares IIB is NOT Kerbal Rated (Meaning Kerbals Cannot Fly On It)

Rocket 2 - KLS

p5ZBkIv.png

Cost: 103k. Tons To LKO/TLI: 20 tons. Flies Once Every: 100 days. KLS IS Kerbal Rated (Meaning Kerbals Can Fly On It)

Rocket 3 - Katurn III

qIu1FC1.png

Cost: 52k. Tons To LKO/TLI: 12 tons, but can be pushed to 13.5 tons. Flies Once Every: 60 days. Katurn III IS Kerbal Rated (Meaning Kerbals Can Fly On It)

Rocket 4 - MV12

xxaimYH.png

Cost: 24k. Tons To LKO/TLI: 5 tons. Flies Once Every: 35 days. MV12 Is NOT Kerbal Rated (Meaning Kerbals Cannot Fly On It)

Rocket 5 - Kova VT6

BlWubEC.png

Cost: 67k. Tons To LKO/TLI: 16.5 tons. Flies Once Every: 72 days. Kova VT6 Is NOT Kerbal Rated

Rocket 6 - Ares IIC

DfxTelG.png

Cost: 25k. Tons To LKO/TLI: 8 tons. Flies Once Every: 40 days. Ares IIC IS Kerbal Rated

Participation and Launch Plan

Everyone that participates will each build their own separate part for the base. The parts will also be launched in order, one at a time. We also have to decide where on the mun is the base place to build the base, once we agree on the best spot on the mun to build it, then we can start construction. We also have to not go over budget, or the challenge is lost.

Mun

Restrictions

These are the restrictions for everyone that participates:

Spoiler

Restrictions:

Everyone can only launch a total of 2 uncrewed missions and 1 crewed mission, no more than that

Every Crewed Vehicle/Mission Must Have An LES

The Total Cost Cannot Exceed The Budget

LKO tons is the amount it can put on a TLI to the mun

Here is the current launch plan, if you want to launch a part that someone else hasn't chosen, tell me in a post below.

Spoiler

Current Launch Plan:

1. Robotic Lander: @Johnster_Space_Program

2. Hab. Base Part 1: @Rocket_man1234

3. First Crew: @Ultimate Steve

4. Mobile Station:

4.5. Electric/Solar Panel Base Part:

5. Mining Rig: @VA7NFH

6. Science Base Part: @Ultimate Steve

7. Second Crew:

8. First Crew Returns Home:

9. Rover 1:

10. Hab. Base Part 2: @Bill the Kerbal

11. Sample Return Mission:

12. Rover 2:

13. Third Crew:

Participants:

@Johnster_Space_Program

@Rocket_man1234

@Bill the Kerbal

@Ultimate Steve

@VA7NFH

The Launchers (All 6 Rockets .craft files): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eYiKDHjDFTGyF-UsH-T1Got8aJB4b8ME/view?usp=sharing

Mun Base Plan Spreadsheet (Add To It!): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10E4nOUEnGMonw6QJEy7B7FKFzueSDRLnwy4RXsGcD38/edit?usp=sharing

To Everyone That Participates, Good Luck! :wink:

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Alright, then, I was thinking of doing a follow up challenge, but I guess this will do. I'm going to focus on updating the KCSS OP and actually getting the ball rolling for now, but once that's through the rough phase I may join this.

ok, sounds great!

A few questions:

• Is the limit one launch per person?
  • I notice that the landers and the crew return vehicles are separate. Is there a reason for this? I believe it would be simpler to land and return the crew in the same vehicle, with maybe an emergency escape vehicle in there.
  • Not a question but there are a few grammatical errors in the OP. I'm seeing "KLS IS man rated" on vehicles that are not the KLS.
  • Have you test flown the vehicles with maximum payload? Any chance we could get max payload numbers for Trans-Munar injection?
  • I'd imagine that it would be stock parts and no DLC, but that is not said in the OP, I think you might want to change that.

Also, custom fairings at 30k? That's quite a bit. Does that mean that every crew vehicle is 30k more for needing either none or a custom fairing? Also, any restrictions on launch escape systems and such? Any safety guidelines for the crew vehicles? Maybe they could fit in the fairings if it didn't need an LES.

9 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

A few questions:

• Is the limit one launch per person?
  • I notice that the landers and the crew return vehicles are separate. Is there a reason for this? I believe it would be simpler to land and return the crew in the same vehicle, with maybe an emergency escape vehicle in there.
  • Not a question but there are a few grammatical errors in the OP. I'm seeing "KLS IS man rated" on vehicles that are not the KLS.
  • Have you test flown the vehicles with maximum payload? Any chance we could get max payload numbers for Trans-Munar injection?
  • I'd imagine that it would be stock parts and no DLC, but that is not said in the OP, I think you might want to change that.

I have added a restrictions section, which should answer most of the questions. I have flown vehicles with a max payload for LKO. Also the reason there is a separate crew lander and return vehicle is because it would be better in case something happened in my opinion. Also it would show where the previous crew had landed in their craft.

Could I build the hab 1, il be building it as I type this regardless just in case. Also is the budget per launch or as a total minus each launch making it harder to launch for later missions because if so, there should probably be a limit so I don't mess it up and make the mission too expensive. Also if I do get chosen, id like to suggest that on the robotic lander mission there should be an ore sat that hitches a ride to the moon to determine where to land. 

Edited by Rocket_man1234

17 minutes ago, Rocket_man1234 said:

Could I build the hab 1, il be building it as I type this regardless just in case. Also is the budget per launch or as a total minus each launch making it harder to launch for later missions because if so, there should probably be a limit so I don't mess it up and make the mission too expensive. Also if I do get chosen, id like to suggest that on the robotic lander mission there should be an ore sat that hitches a ride to the moon to determine where to land. 

ok, that's a good idea

39 minutes ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

can we use restock?

Can we have MH installed but not use it?

if so, put me down for the hab part 1.

yes, restock is allowed, since it doesn't add any parts, just changes the textures

@Rocket_man1234 ok, you can build hab 1

@Bill the Kerbal you can build hab part 2,  or the electrics/solar part if you want

I'd like to propose an easy to use standard, but I'm not at home right now so I'll explain when I get home. Many people use this standard, it's based off of the height of a landing leg and is consistent no matter what diameter part you use.

I've also been working on a crew transfer vehicle which can be used either way.

20 minutes ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

@Johnster_Space_Program

Put me down for Hab Part 2 or science part.

also do they have to dock to the base or be within walking distance or what?

they have to be within 0-500m or basically walking distance of the robotic lander (since that will be the first part of the base landed)

And you can do the hab part 2

All the parts should be landed within that distance of each other, since its easier than docking them all together @Rocket_man1234

edit: updated spreadsheet and added your names to OP

46 minutes ago, Bill the Kerbal said:

as part of the first launch, someone should bring a mapping satellite so we know where the ore is

yes, that will be part of the robotic lander mission, it should help determine what is the best place to set up base

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.