[EE] KSPedia Removal - Feedback/Questions

Hello.

I have just checked the KSPedia from the website and was wondering if changes are planned, as it feels like a very cheap placeholder at the moment.

Based on the post by UomoCapra

• UomoCapra says "Now you won’t need to mess with the flow of your ongoing mission and you’ll be able to use your mobile phone or any other display to consult it via our website!", leading me to believe that one of the reasons KSPedia has been removed from the game was that it felt a bit inconvenient to be accessed while playing. Well, that's false. Having to open an app through the game was never a problem. And, just like when openning KSPedia through the game, if you do have to access KSPedia through your mobile phone you will also have to pause the game; the only difference is that you'll have to take more steps if going for second method.
    Ideally, having it both in the game and as a .pdf in the website would be better, although the first method feels more interactive and easier to access!

• Is the KSPedia app ever coming back to the game, or is this a permanent change? I wish this is only temporary and I do believe other players feel the same.

• At the moment the .pdf file is simply a very cheap compilation of screenshots from the KSPedia menus - showing even the Xbox controller button icons on the bottom. It would be interesting if it became interactive instead of a .pdf, plus with some section makers so you wouldn't have to scroll through the many pages trying to find what you're looking for.

• Was there any other reason for the app to be removed? UomoCapra says that it will be easier for the devs to update the KSPedia through the website (even though it's just a .pdf file). But this doesn't seem like a reason, especially when the PC version still has the app without any issue.
    It would be interesting to hear/read why it's been removed, listen to the community feedback before permanently removing features and saying wether it might come back or not. Communication with the community is always welcomed!

Thanks. 

Edited by Gargamel
Please keep the font sizes reasonable, thanks.

Would it be possible to add a table of contents (AKA "outline") to the PDF? Most PDF browsers have a space for a clickable TOC that takes you to that section. It usually has the ability to expand/collapse subsections.

9xSloLj.png

On 4/3/2019 at 8:14 PM, FleshJeb said:

It's not being removed. The PDF is just an alternate location to see it: 

It actually was removed.

They removed it and made a PDF file in their website the cheapest way possible, taking screenshots of the pages, for people to download. They couldn't even mark it's topics (table of content) so you wouldn't have to painfully scroll down through the screenshots to find what you're looking for.

I don't like to mention other games, but check Sea Of Thieves website for a contrast. They have all the menus interactive, not requiring a lazy file to be downloaded and they have all the sections separated for ease of access and reading.

Edited by Arch3rAc3

I miss the days when games came with an actual manual.

I remember games that had a manual that was only about a third about the actual game, and the rest was various other bits of information/immersion into the game world.  What passes for a manual (last time I saw one, anyway) is what used to be the Errata/Quick Start Guide.

Edited by razark

13 hours ago, Arch3rAc3 said:

It actually was removed.

I think we have different definitions of the word “removed”. I’m using the one in the dictionary, which one are you using?

FleshJeb can't read.

Edited by FleshJeb

3 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

I think we have different definitions of the word “removed”. I’m using the one in the dictionary, which one are you using?

@FleshJeb : I'm guessing you are a PC player.   Arch3rAc3 is a console player.  (Also this thread is titled [EE] KSPedia Removal, so he is specifically talking about the console version).  My understanding is that it was removed from the console versions in the recent patch.  

Pure speculation on my part, but with the addition of the extra textures for the new part variants, maybe they found out late in development that they were running short of available RAM, and removing the KSPedia was the easiest and fastest way to fix that.  (I think the PC version loads all graphics at startup, including KSPedia images, and I'm guessing the console versions handle images the same way).  That might even have been the reason for the last minute release delay.

5 hours ago, razark said:

I've always wished I could get physical media for KSP, with some nice box art that I could be proud to display on a shelf for everyone to see.

Shoot, I wore my KSP t-shirts until they were tissue paper.

I'm still really glad I got a full set of the Shapeways figurines before Take Two shut down all the merch.

16 hours ago, razark said:

I remember games that had a manual that was only about a third about the actual game, and the rest was various other bits of information/immersion into the game world.  What passes for a manual (last time I saw one, anyway) is what used to be the Errata/Quick Start Guide.

Oh, I Fallout 1. The manual even explained the physical effects of a nuclear blast, which wasn't even necessary for the gameplay.

Games used to have so many details and care put into. Now we are lucky to have a proper basic guide in games.

4 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

Aw crud. I think the title changed since the last time I looked at it. Thanks for correcting me.

Sorry @Arch3rAc3

It didn't, but no worries :)

21 hours ago, GeneCash said:

Would it be possible to add a table of contents (AKA "outline") to the PDF? Most PDF browsers have a space for a clickable TOC that takes you to that section. It usually has the ability to expand/collapse subsections.

That was the first thing I noticed.  It's great to have the data available out of game when needed, but I'm really not in the mood to flip through every page in a pdf looking for a single topic. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.