Walking robotic arms are now possible

So, today I decided to test some robotic arm designs. In trying to use an advanced grabbing unit to pick up an object, I found that the AGU doesn't care whether it's grabbing onto another vessel or its own. So I tested further. Sure enough, you can build a robotic arm, have it grapple onto your vessel, and then separate the other end and it will remain attached. This might?? happen with docking ports but my tests were inconclusive and inconsistent. In the first test, ports seemed to dock, but when the original docking port was disconnected all the others disconnected as well. In the second, a docking port on an arm held to the vessel by a AGU refused to connect and instead clipped through. As is, it seems like AGU-based arms are the way to go, although they may not be useful for berthing. I've posted some screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/v68iwD9

On 6/3/2019 at 3:41 PM, Jestersage said:

Isn't that what they were planning to use for lunar gateway?

I believe they're planning on using one for the gateway. They're currently using one on the ISS. The difference, of course, is that their designs use specialized fixtures on the station, and mine uses giant robotic claws that would almost certainly poke holes in all the important bits of the spacecraft.

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 12:04 AM, RocketSquid said:

I believe they're planning on using one for the gateway. They're currently using one on the ISS. The difference, of course, is that their designs use specialized fixtures on the station, and mine uses giant robotic claws that would almost certainly poke holes in all the important bits of the spacecraft.

Nonsense! You have to let the co2 out somehow. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.