KSP 2 Multiplayer Discussion Thread

41 minutes ago, Relonsk said:

Will there be a multiplayer mode where every player will control a kerbal and only a leader will control a SpaceShip?

That would just be stupidly boring so probably not you could probably take control of any kerbal on Eva though

Edited by SpaceFace545

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 2:10 AM, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Maybe there will be a space-race mode where you can play against someone else and try and beat them to the mun or another moon or planet.

Well that is a great idea. But Scott Manely will just beat us all and make a video of how easy it was .... muuhahahaha

I have thought about multiplayer and my solution is sort of complex.

First you need to think of the nature of the different participants.

The geek who is on this forum wishing .... ofcourse he is willing to setip a server, But where to find friends to play with. So he find some friends and urge them to play KSP. Well you see how this will end. One player willing to play many hours a week and his friends who might play once a week and then they fail and wreck all rockets, VERY funny? Not for the geek.

SO the multiplayer have to accomodate for this.

So my plan is the geek set up the server and is now the server adminitrator. He can take over ANY flights at ANY time done by his ... eh ... friends.

Well the geek is willing to play many hours so he needs to be able to play AHEAD of the others. Therfore when you grab a ship and start controling it you create a time bubble. Say you steer correctly to Duna and you have an intercept you can now set a time alarm and leave that ship.

You grab another ship and enter another time buble ...... in this time bubble you can see the trajectory of the other Duna ship and can plan an intecept.

These bubbles are necesseary for the geek to play way ahead of his not so enthusiastic friends.

AND

As administrator he can take over their ship and play as much as he likes to advance those missions so that he can play his missions further.

This is very complex so Kerbal Alarm Clock version 200 000 will need to be in the game.

I came up with this ,,, since I play Farmin Simulator .... and I tried it online and it is a MESS. There is a wannabe EMPEROR who setup the server. Then people with no good intensions join. And it all ends up in a mess with tractors in the river, Farming simulator is a game where you can not kill people and people can not kill themselves out of stupidity. In KSP stupidity will get you killed .... so at least in KSP multiplayer it sort of works.

ANYWAYS .... to get multiplayer working smothly takes a lot of thought.

OR

you can just make some computers connect together and then just claim it is multiplayer...... no on can drag you to court,

But is the SIMPLEST form of multiplayer really functioning multiplayer ...... look at Farming Simulator. IT DOESN'T WORK.

I also played a lot of CounterStrike .... But in CounterStrike players die and or the game is ended so it starts over and over again. So There is no much problems if bad players join the server. Also on many server the players can "VoteBan" if an amazing person joins the server,

Multiplayer in KSP will be much longer stretching maybe months or even years,  The administrator need to be able to kick people off the server ,,,, invite new ones in and after own judgement be able to "give" ships/missions to the newly arrived to play.

Maybe after awhile finally the server will have a group of true friends that can play together.

NEXT step is to get rid of the dependency of a host, Which means the files will be synched with a cloud. You got player A B C. They might not be able to play all the same day. And it would be bad if they all are dependent on that player A's computer is up and running. Would be nice if player B can load the files from the cloud and start the sesssion.

I think there is a billion things that can go wrong with multiplayer.

OR you can always do it like Farming Simulator did it .... make a simple connection .... and the claim multiplayer.

How is multiplayer going to work in KSP? Have anyone thought this out?

On 8/29/2020 at 5:38 AM, AsherMaximum said:

•  

Time Warp

The big, complicated monster of multiplayer timewarp.

No problem.

FIRST it is the game basic clock.  This can be accelerated/warped but it will push the global clock forward so all missions going on will be accelerated.

PROMBLEMS? There have to be a Kerbal Alarm Clock that STOPS the global acceleration if a craft needs to make a planned maneuver.

OTHER PROBLEMS?: Players do not have the oppurtunity to play equal amount of time or on the same day. SO ......

The most active player need to be able to play AHEAD in time in a time bubble. When he is done he leaves the bubble but everyone .... well .... he played his mission ahead of time 2 months ahead ..... but everyopne else planning their missions can see in the future his trajectory. Cause it has already been played out in the future. So it is possible to make an intercept course etc etc.

Every server needs an administrator, And he should be able to play all ships and even reassign ownership to new people joining after kicking amazing persons out.

• 2 weeks later...

Multiplayer for KSp2 is a great idea. But there is one problem. How will KSP2 multiplayer work? Is KSP2 multiplayer has server that could be bad for some servers. The older the server gets the more vulnerable it is. KSP@ servers would have a hard time. Loading 1000s of crafts and bases and parts of planets. The server may crash or have curppurpted files. Now. I do hope that the developers and coders of KSP2 take this too mind. Revamsp and other updates will affect the servers. If multiplayer is like 2 players that wont bring any orblems i dont think. If KSP2 has co-op. that great.

10 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

If multiplayer is like 2 players that wont bring any orblems i dont think. If KSP2 has co-op. that great.

Now you reminded me of it:

Someone made a lot of noise on Reddit some weeks ago about multiplayer being cancelled because the Steam page didn't have the "multiplayer tag" and for him that was proof enough (even though the page has 1/4 of the description talking about multiplayer).

He then asked on twitter and they replied that was an Steam bug, that multiplayer was obviously not cancelled and that they've fixed.

The point is they didn't add at random multiplayer tag but specifically the "multiplayer co-op" one 

Edited by Master39

9 hours ago, Master39 said:

Now you reminded me of it:

Someone made a lot of noise on Reddit some weeks ago about multiplayer being cancelled because the Steam page didn't have the "multiplayer tag" and for him that was proof enough (even though the page has 1/4 of the description talking about multiplayer).

He then asked on twitter and they replied that was an Steam bug, that multiplayer was obviously not cancelled and that they've fixed.

The point is they didn't add at random multiplayer tag but specifically the "multiplayer co-op" one 

Okay. That’s just weird.

• 2 weeks later...

It wouldn’t read my other post.

On 10/12/2020 at 12:50 PM, Dr. Kerbal said:

Multiplayer for KSp2 is a great idea. But there is one problem. How will KSP2 multiplayer work? Is KSP2 multiplayer has server that could be bad for some servers. The older the server gets the more vulnerable it is. KSP@ servers would have a hard time. Loading 1000s of crafts and bases and parts of planets. The server may crash or have curppurpted files. Now. I do hope that the developers and coders of KSP2 take this too mind. Revamsp and other updates will affect the servers. If multiplayer is like 2 players that wont bring any orblems i dont think. If KSP2 has co-op. that great.

I personally can't wait for multiplayer. There's a small game a few guys have been playing in a group DM, passing around altered save files to simulate troop engagements and such. I feel like things like that could be a lot more widespread and a lot simpler to run if the game had multiplayer. 

1 hour ago, SlickStretch said:

I find it worrisome that the devs still have not said anything about how it's going to work.

I wouldn't worry about that. Multiplayer is a tricky subject when it comes to developing it. At any moment they could be forced to rewrite a batch of code simply because it wasn't good enough for what the game is supposed to be. Because of that, they don't want to make any announcements before they are sure that they got a solid base.

I am certainly looking forward to doing some LAN parties with KSP2. I am already having fun with Luna Multiplayer, and it's sometimes a mess of a physic engine ..

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2020 at 4:45 AM, Kryfulli said:

I am already having fun with Luna Multiplayer, and it's sometimes a mess of a physic engine ..

IIRC the main issue with Luna is that there is *no* physics engine. I.e. it lets each KSP client simulate physics separately, only sharing general information about e.g. where a craft is located and what trajectory it is on between clients, then letting each separate client run its own simulation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that that's really the main limitation of Luna — and probably an unavoidable one given what its developers have to work with.

I've had fun with Luna as well, and even ran a server for a short while with a couple of friends, but at the end of the day it was, sadly, just too glitchy. Spectating another player — especially if they did any time warping at all — was just asking for trouble (at least in part, I think, due to the above limitation — more than once, the craft being spectated ended up looking all squished and messed up by physics forces from the perspective of one client, while still seeming perfectly fine from the perspective of another, and then the craft's final fate ended up being determined entirely by who stopped viewing it first...) and we frequently had problems with Kerbals getting listed as M.I.A. even when they were recovered safely, when that recovery was somehow not synced properly between clients... Docking different players' craft together, which I always thought should be a pretty big part of KSP multiplayer, was always kind of a crapshoot. Anyway, it was cool to be able to play KSP multiplayer at all, and Luna's devs deserve congratulations and gratitude for accomplishing that much! But we ended up spending more time worrying about how to keep the game working than about how to stage successful space missions. Regardless of the exact form multiplayer takes in KSP2, as long as it's stable and coded into the game from the get-go I think I'll be pretty happy to see it! :P

On a separate note: The main thing I, personally, would want to see in KSP2 multiplayer is the ability for each player to run their own separate space agency, with their own funds, science, reputation, and crew roster. These different agencies could compete for achieving "firsts," compete for contracts from a common pool (and if a given agency fails a contract, not only could they be penalized, but their competitors could be given a shot at the contract instead!) or, on the other hand, could cooperate to achieve bigger objectives together, say with each player/agency contributing a module to a giant space station, or contributing something to a multi-stage interplanetary mission. If the larger mission succeeds, each player could then earn a reward commensurate with their contribution!

Another, related, idea might be giving players the ability to create contracts for each other! Say you launch a satellite, but can't quite put it in the right orbit before it runs out of delta-v; or say you land on the Mun, but your rocket tips over and your crew is stranded. Instead of sending a rescue mission yourself, you could create a contract for another agency to rescue your crew / refuel or reposition your satellite for you, and offer them funds, science, or reputation from your own budget in compensation! You would still benefit by getting your crew back (the whole Kerbonauts-join-their-rescuer's-crew mechanic would probably best be disabled for inter-player contracts) or by getting a satellite in the right orbit (potentially achieving the objective for your own contract, and thus getting your own reward), and your rescuer would not only get the reward you'd put up for them, but would also gain the satisfaction of knowing they helped another human being (as opposed to merely completing a computer-generated contract for a fictional agency run by a random number generator). There'd even be an incentive for players to specialize; one player might become the server's expert on planetary landings, for example, while another might run an orbital tug, becoming an expert in rendezvousing with other players' craft and refuelling them or efficiently putting them on new orbits.

Notably, this is something that multiplayer mods for KSP1 cannot currently do — currently, the only form of multiplayer available, even through modding, seems to be everyone sharing a common funds/science/reputation/Kerbonaut pool. I think everyone running their own separate agency would be a good way for a more competitive, yet still constructive, style of play to work in KSP2, and I think it'd add a lot to the game experience!

(One potential problem that would need to be overcome here is that a more nuanced set of rules might be needed for who "controls" a craft. If player-run space agencies are competing with each other, you don't want another player to be able to just take control of your ships from the tracking station, after all; at the same time, some of the most interesting potential interaction between players might still take the form of craft docking together and interacting with each other. Some sort of "permission" system would need to be created, where you would, for example, be able to grant another player permission to dock with your craft — say, to refuel it — without giving them control of your craft's thrusters, and without the game getting confused as to who owns which craft once they separate again. At the same time, there might be situations where you do want to give another player the temporary ability to pilot one of your craft, without permanently losing ownership of that craft yourself; that way you could, say, hire a player to perform a landing for you. They could get a fee from you for their piloting services, while you yourself would still retain ownership of your lander, and all the benefits that would come from having it successfully land on another world, including the ability to recover science, earn any contract rewards, etc).

Edited by Multivac

On 9/9/2020 at 12:35 PM, SpaceFace545 said:

That would just be stupidly boring so probably not you could probably take control of any kerbal on Eva though

I would like that option. Competitive multiplayer is fine, but for me KSP would be more fun as a colllaboration. Specially if I'm planning to introduce my father or some of my "not so space enthusiast" friends to it.
Also it doesn't have to be boring if it's properly designed. For instance, it would be nice to have different task, a scientist kerbal must control X, a pilot must control Y, an engineer would repait and build Z. It would also allow a more realistic Apollo mission approach, with someone landing and the other one doing orbit experiments. It could simplify base building, it would make technical problems more fun. It could provide someone assisting you with data when making complex maneuvres, etc. I also think the collaboration system would work better if the coop flight was 100% IVA first person. That would mean, just like in real life, a copilot managing some of the task would be useful.

1 hour ago, Sesshaku said:

It would be nice to have different task, a scientist kerbal must control X, a pilot must control Y, an engineer would repait and build Z.

This sounds like a mix of Kerbal Space Program and Empty Epsilon or Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator... Which would, indeed, be very much fun and is a great (if perhaps slightly ambitious...) idea :)

On 8/21/2019 at 8:13 PM, Dman979 said:

Overlapping threads have been merged. Please, please, look in the correct subforum for a thread about your topics before posting a new one. It makes my job easier. :)

What job?? (Sarcasm)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Good news! In the new ksp video, their is a mention of multiplayer! It does not give away gameplay details, but I do think it may be hinting towards a crew multiplayer. This thread is dead I am trying to revive it. But realy I may be reading into it to much, or I missed something but this is very interesting!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 8:33 PM, MrCow said:

One mod is Luna Multiplayer, and they handle it like  this: https://github.com/LunaMultiplayer/LunaMultiplayer/wiki/Limitations. It is a great way of doing it by disabling it or just giving it a not a close alternate functionality. I imagine it will be something like this, a vote or an owner control thing.

On 8/21/2019 at 12:02 AM, Kerbart said:

I look forward to it. Mostly because it will put the constant begging and "still no multiplayer" posts to rest.

On a more serious note:

• I'll admit that there's a certain amount of glee and schadenfreude when it comes to issues like time-warping. MP supporters always claim that it's the easiest aspect of multi-player to solve, followed by five different solutions, each completely incompatible with any of the other ones.
  • Griefing seems to be a common theme in multi-player sandbox games. Astroneer seems to suffer from it really badly. Someone will have developed a game (solo) for weeks, invites someone over to join their world and sees it destroyed in a matter of minutes.

At the same time, I can look at the MS Flightsim community where multi-player has been a source of unbridled creativity in ways Microsoft probably never imagined but enabled by keeping the interface open. Navigation and flight management software would use the multi-player interface to exchange data with the game, traffic controllers could manage multiple simmers, and I've always enjoyed the round-the-world relay races between the various large flightsim websites. I'm sure the KSP community can come up with some creative ways to use an open multi-player interface!

I think you should look at this a little more like minecraft. You could invite someone to your world, and if they destroy everything, its your fault for inviting an untrustworthy friend. also, I think that multiplayer should work differently than most have suggested. I think all players should get different KSC's and be able to pause and revert freely. If you pause, your plane/rocket will stay midair and will be indestructable, other player's things will just pass through, and If you revert, you will just teleport to where you are reverting to, unless the area you are reverting to is obstructed. Also, a chat feature would be nice. maybe they could also add a menu when creating your server on "wether some people's crafts can damadge other people's KSC's" and "wether some people's crafts can damadge other people's crafts" to prevent or allow, in a nutshell, griefing.

boom. thread revived

I hope there will be multiplayer in the game. So you can build space stations together or do an mission where you launch it and youre friends. I also like the new parts and the new kerbal skin. And the fact that you can build bases stock. Its like that the mks mod but stock. beter physics and more planets and other sysmtems. I hope ksp 2 will be good. And if its not i will just play ksp 1.

• 2 weeks later...

So this for the loskene question how the KSP 1 multiplayer mod works with time warp simply if you warp you go into diffrent time and you need to press tiny button to go back where everyone else are and i guess that devs are going to make that (they havent sayd or told anything about this) if you just warp and other player don't they just see your craft recorded so like if you warp they just see you if they follow you land on moon if you land or something