Finding surface features

Is there a trick to finding the new surface features?  I've been driving around the mun for hours looking for Mun Large Crater to complete a contract, but I have yet to see one.  I've seen a few Mun Stones and a couple of the smaller Mun Craters, but no large craters.  It doesn't help that the features seem to blend into the background from any distance over a couple hundred meters.  Is there something I'm missing?  Anything that might improve my chances of finding one?  Someone on Reddit suggested making a low orbital pass over my landing zone, but it seems like that would run into the same problems that I'm having driving on the surface, plus the added hassle of only having seconds to spot potential targets before my craft passes over the horizon.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

1 hour ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Someone on Reddit suggested making a low orbital pass over my landing zone,

I don't think that will work. I have the feeling that the surface features are only rendered once you are fairly close and didn't zoom out too much. So you'd have to get so close that the ground just speeds across your field-of-view.

My guess is that your problem is the first one on @5thHorseman's list: there just aren't any in the biome you are looking. (Well guess!)

Edited by AHHans

Also: you have the BG surface features enabled? If you're not sure, check your persistent.sfs file, it should have a line reading

ROCSeed = <somerandomnumber>

If you are continuing an old game you started before BG, that line will be missing, hence no BG surface features will be present.

8 hours ago, AHHans said:

Well, it would have been pretty hard for @Capt. Hunt to find Mun Stones and Small Craters if he hadn't. :cool:

lol, yes they are enabled, and I started a new game when BG came out.  I am also in NW Crater, one of the biomes suggested by the contract, although the wiki does say the mun large crater can spawn anywhere on the mun.

10 hours ago, VoidSquid said:

When you open the debug menu (ALT F12), under Breaking Ground - Surface Features, there's a check box Surface Feature Finder

I'll look for that.  How is this Surface Feature Finder supposed to work?

1 minute ago, Capt. Hunt said:

How is this Surface Feature Finder supposed to work?

It's a red "arrow" like they are used to show the aero forces when that is active. But I suggest that you activate it while being close to a Surface Feature that you already found and look for yourself.

6 hours ago, AHHans said:

It's a red "arrow" like they are used to show the aero forces when that is active. But I suggest that you activate it while being close to a Surface Feature that you already found and look for yourself.

ok, that does help make them way more visible, still haven't been able to find a large crater though.:/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.