What Would U.S. Money Look Like, Given the Proper Attention of an Industrial Designer?

XB-70A

46 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

People still use physical money?

I tried bitcoin/crypto and it was awful, so yeah.

Seriously, who wants a good completely offtopic read from my past?

https://www.techpowerup.com/240672/confessions-of-a-crypto-miner-the-setup

https://www.techpowerup.com/240951/confessions-of-a-crypto-miner-efficiency

https://www.techpowerup.com/242685/confessions-of-a-crypto-miner-green-er-mining

The part I never got to write:  I broke my arm and caused severe nerve damage in my right hand tripping while getting up to sign for some mining related hardware (this is probably the geekiest injury in history), and was forced to abruptly retire.  Yeah, not being able to do a ton of WPM hurts your career in this.

It was a dark age for gaming too, and these articles did not make me friends (not that that has ever really mattered to me).  I will say physical money is easier for me to handle now that my hand shakes badly...  my old key-based wallets are too hard to type in. 

That and it's more reliable.  Crypto value bounces up/down like a kerbal on a bad rocketship launch.

Yes, I know you meant plastic cards like mastercard and things like paypal, etc.  I don't like them too much so I conveniently forget they exist.  Humor me, I know I'm being intentionally dense.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

I tried bitcoin/crypto and it was awful, so yeah.

1 hour ago, R-T-B said:

Yes, I know you meant plastic cards like mastercard and things like paypal, etc.

Yup. I've been using a credit card nearly exclusively and with no cost to me for over a dozen years now. I very occasionally do use paper money but I can have cash in my wallet for a year and not spend it.

I'd never use a volatile currency like bitcoin. May as well restrict your grocery purchases to only be done with your Vegas winnings.

Anyway we're a bit off topic now. Back on topic, I don't see why money has to be "pretty". It should be obvious where it's from and what it's worth, and bonus if you can glance at 2 different denominations and tell that they're both from the same country. After that I don't need Kennedy or Neil Armstrong or Bill Gates or Obama or whatever on my money. I just literally don't care.

Physical money should be liquid.

With great surface tension to reassemble when you nip off a little, or put change into wallet.
And with great compressibility to fit the wallet.

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

I don't see why money has to be "pretty"

They are pretty themselves.
It is pretty itself.

Edited by kerbiloid

8 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

People still use physical money?

I do - it gives some sense of how much am I actually spending.

As for the design, unless you envision it being made from polymer, I question it'd be that pretty.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.