Tesla Thread

GearsNSuch

2 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Ok, that will work, but I can't get anything tall in there, I think, and it still looks stupid.  :P

?

The tailgate is ~2' high, which is the min height of the bed. Seems like every other pickup in that regard where the bed is as high as the tailgate.

Not liking it is fair, it's polarizing.

1 hour ago, tater said:

The tailgate is ~2' high, which is the min height of the bed. Seems like every other pickup in that regard where the bed is as high as the tailgate.

Right, I hadn't seen pics of the back fully open.  So foot in mouth here :D.  I had assumed that the cover only raised up and didn't fully open.   

It does appear to be a magnetic tonneau cover, which ....eh....   I see why they made the shape they way they did though, aero and all. 

32 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Right, I hadn't seen pics of the back fully open.  So foot in mouth here :D.  I had assumed that the cover only raised up and didn't fully open.   

It does appear to be a magnetic tonneau cover, which ....eh....   I see why they made the shape they way they did though, aero and all. 

My buddy here in town hates it. I'd prefer to get one in between the mid and high end ones—don't care about the faster speed, like more range. 500 miles is starting to look pretty unbeatable. Maybe by the time my high order number comes up they will have more range. 600+ miles would be great. I could get to a trailhead in southern CO, bag a peak, come home without having to charge at all. Even the 500mi range gets me mostly there. Could stop and charge otw home I suppose. They seem to be putting a supercharger in Alamosa, so that make CO a breeze even right now.

Also, I will upgrade to the rolling cover being PVs, even if that means getting the 70k one. Love the idea that it can get a few mi a day of charge just parked at a trailhead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2020 at 8:46 PM, tater said:
That means the others have to get a bump, too?

I don't understand what you are thinking here. From what I have read, they are talking about increasing the size of the battery in this version of the Model Y so as to give the car longer range. Why would this affect other cars that don't get an increase in battery size?

They had been planning to offer a lower-cost version with a single motor and a smaller battery and a long range version with a single motor and a larger battery. The recent announcement was that they have decided not to offer the lower-cost, shorter-range version, but will still offer the single-motor extended-range version.

I thought that the dual motor was supposed to have longer range than the single motor version. This suggests they are adding more battery to the single motor version.

The question is, are they just using the dual motor pack, and getting more range at the expense of performance (heavier car with only 1 motor), or is it getting more battery than the dual motor (in which case that additional capacity could be added to the dual motor version). In that last case the car works harder to pull the heavier battery with 1 motor.

That or battery tech improvements (rumored to be announced in September).

I realize it's a trade off with the single vs multiple motor variants, but more motors seems to also mean more range if Cybertruck is an example. So more battery is heavier, add another motor—except that it's also faster, it's not like the added motor is to just make up for the added battery mass.

Edited by tater

It’s a weird relationship. The 3 motor cybertruck has more range than the 2, which has more range than the 1.

some might be hobbling the low end in software, I suppose, to encourage going up a model?

The current LR Model Y is 316 mi range. Performance model is 291mi. 

if they add A single motor low end Y, and the range is over 300, no one buys the LR version, so they’d have to bump it. Would be hard to justify buying the Model 3 if the cheap Y has better range, either.

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, tater said:

Now an hybrid APC makes lots of sense, yes it need to be an hybrid as you are not near charging station in most combat zones. However APC mostly serve as as communication hubs, sensor platforms and turrets who you want to run from battery. 
Also having an stryker moving into an interlocking  firing position driving slowly on the electric engines before the raid is priceless. 
Note that in lots of remote combat zones fuel cost as high as its require an convoy with air support to get the fuel to its target. 
Much the same with self propelled guns 

• 2 weeks later...

That would be great course for an electric vehicle. It's a short course, so there is no need to worry about the slow refueling time. And you have a lot of steep uphill sections coming out of low-speed corners, which favors a drivetrain with low-speed power over one with high-speed power.

16 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

That would be great course for an electric vehicle. It's a short course, so there is no need to worry about the slow refueling time. And you have a lot of steep uphill sections coming out of low-speed corners, which favors a drivetrain with low-speed power over one with high-speed power.

Yeah, if there's a Porsche Taycan electric it will do well, too.

The acceleration of the electrics is... unreal. I've driven a Model 3 and a Model X Tesla, and while neither was a performance model (much less a stripped down racing version), it's hard to even explain how fast they are off the line. Our BMW 335xi in sport mode feels sluggish by comparison to a standard mode model 3. On those curvy roads, it's that off the line that buys seconds, slow as needed in some of the curves, then boom, you're going 100, then 30, then 90.

The upper part if the track will be interesting (it feels way more exposed driving up high on Pike's Peak). I still preferred it unpaved, though, then it was a rally.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, tater said:
1:30.3 lap. Pretty fast (F1 cars knock almost 30 seconds off that).

I remember when the Tesla S was new.  Unlike the rest of the performance cars, they didn't publish a Nürburgring time.  Probably because going flat out, they couldn't finish one lap (and they wildly underestimated the logistical challenge and expense of those quoted times [the S wasn't quite so new even then]).  That's all in the past, and plaid power more than makes up for the massive battery.

42 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I made the wrong damn bet on $TSLA yesterday -- good god.

No matter how insane the price, don't short TSLA.  Always remember that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.  Unless you can somehow get a sufficiently long term put or other tricky deal that can't lose more than the wager.

2 hours ago, wumpus said:

No matter how insane the price, don't short TSLA.  Always remember that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.  Unless you can somehow get a sufficiently long term put or other tricky deal that can't lose more than the wager.

Oh, I don't short. I hold about 50% of my inventory and swing-trade the rest on 2-3 day cycles. I am usually pretty good at selling high and buying low but I definitely picked the wrong approach on Monday.

Tesla network outage a thing today. My buddy is driving his Tesla out to Houston (NASA job), then gonna fly back and he and his wife take the other car together (doesn't have autopilot, so better with 2 drivers). Stuck trying to get to next charging station hoping it works... That's a downside to electrics.

Do they still charge $5000 just to get red paint? That red color for the Model S did look good, but $5000 is a lot of money.

OK, I just checked their website, and it's $2500 to get the red paint. (That's still a lot of money.)

Edited by mikegarrison
Just checked.

3 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

Do they still charge $5000 just to get red paint? That red color for the Model S did look good, but $5000 is a lot of money.

OK, I just checked their website, and it's $2500 to get the red paint. (That's still a lot of money.)

Yeah, it's pretty point and click, and the amounts are huge off the base, OTOH everyone you see with a red one paid exactly what anyone else did.

I always manage to get cars for amounts that are supposedly reasonable deals (per Edmunds and other sites), but it bugs me to know anyone else could have the same vehicle and paid literally anything less. The BMW charges huge amounts for little changes, and there are so many options 20 of the things could be next to each other in the lot, and no 2 exactly the same. I prefer the cybertruck with no color options, lol.

When will Tesla reveal its full name, Tesla General Products?

http://www.larryniven.net/puppeteer/puptech.shtml

GENERAL PRODUCT'S HULLS
Hulls made by General Products are indestructible by Puppeteer guarantee. In fact a ship with a General Products Hull could fly straight through the outer layers of a star. The ship's contents might be charbroiled, but the hull would survive unsinged, without a scratch.
The hulls are transparent to visible light and UV rays however, so a laser could be fired through the hull to destroy the propulsion system or occupants of the spacecraft. A wise pilot would never let his ship get in that sort of peril, and hulls are often painted or coated to protect the occupants and equipment within. General Products hulls are nearly indestructible, unless exposed to large quantities of antimatter, which destroys the artificially strengthened molecular structure of the hull.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.