[20.x]BobCat Ind. Release

BobCat

There is nothing special about the mumechlib.dll we use, it's the same one provided in the Mechjeb plugin. We just provide it in the download for your convenience. Try replacing the DLL with a fresh one from the mechjeb plugin.

Mechjeb is only required if you want to use the empty command pod cockpit, which is a mechjeb part. Otherwise the mod doesn't use mechjeb.

Thanks for the response.

I was actually a bit surprised to see that someone else was seeing the same issue. That said - I tried to pin-point what introduced the behavior, but after a while, I gave up and started over with a new base install. I then slowly added various add-ons I typically use (mechjeb, protactor, ISA map, Sphere, and DEMV), and couldn't replicate again. Who knows.

Thanks a lot for the rovers, BobCat Ind. :)

I've been playing the game for a long while now, but mainly obsessed with planes and just sub-orbital aircrafts in general, until I saw the RAT and D.R.O.P.... then I HAD to try them. So my first time actually landing somewhere else other than Kerbin (Mun) was using your latest rover :) So thanks again!

Some pictures in the following link for anyone interested:

http://imgur.com/a/eCs0m

Took me a while to figure the right balance for the D.R.O.P. with the rover inside, and then went for the easiest solution; strap the rover to the inside walls of the deployment pod with space duck tape :P

DEMV4 has some issues:

1) Sizing. The tanks don't fit snugly as displayed in the demo pics, there's a slight lack in height as though there's a missing part that's a 5-10 cm slither? You could fix that by adding (6) as a slither of equipment under the tank, and / or stripping the top of the tank to accommodate (E). Also the pod is oddly shaped and just the wrong size to be skinned by 2M fairings, perhaps reduce it to 1.9 meters or bring it up to 2.5-2.9 so 2.75 or 3 meter bulkheads and fairings can attach (possibly add your own reskin of the bulkhead and fairings if you want it to be a fully 'modular' system)

3) The ability to fit only one tank is limiting, not even surface attached redundancy is available, and surface attachment is pretty buggy.

8) If the drop pod lands the wrong way up or rolls you're -****ed- as you can't right click to right it inside the pod, and opening the pod doesn't save it.

E) Laser turret is cool, but it doesn't mount properly (it's like 1/6th the size of the other stuff that fits that node) and should be a turret alone that fits on that large unused node atop the DEMV4.

6) MechJeb and ISA MapSat should be included in parts, feel free to use

:: <a href="http://www.kerbal.net/mod.php?id=80">Internalized MechJeb & ISA MapSat Antennae Kit</a>

for them instead of their full units to keep it streamlined, or hack the DAE's, but note the ISA antenna currently won't map the planet as the developer of the plugin has hard coded the animation into the plugin code, thus if you don't use the original sat dish when it tries to animate your antenna it fails and the entire plugin ****s itself and dies.

2) Prone to the DEMV bug where your vehicle will--for absolutely no reason, even on flats under same speed--barrel roll smashing all your peripherals and leaving you stranded and wanting to smash your monitor.

I hope this feedback helps, it's some pretty major stuff and I know the last thing you want to read immediately after a release are issues such as these. I am more than happy to assist you in any way I can, just hit me up on twitter (@bashpr0mpt) and tell me how I can help. I can make any part you require, my only weak point is adding / changing node locations (slow PC, ten minute loads) or UV skin, or ... ****, whatever you need dude.

Hell, if you want, hook me up with the .DAE's and **** and I'll fix it all up for you and hand it back and you can claim the credit. Idc about that side of things, I just want to see the best rover in the game doing it's thing awesomely. :)

Edit: Also, the kethane thing. The parts fit woefully with the DEMV, perhaps a DEMV variant? I'd also ideally like to see you release some ZO2 **** for your mods so we have to keep our kerbanauts alive and healthy, you've got electricity and kethane in there, you know you want to do the last missing piece to super realism! :D

Edited by bashpr0mpt

Possible bug: When i use the RAT with kethane tank kethane controler, and kethane transfer module and i drive close to my kethane mining tovers, game glitches, and then the RAT and the miner appear out of the kerbol sistem on hi escape velocity from the kerbol. Happend 2 times so i ceased to use the rat.

The RAT is pretty great. Only problem is getting it to Duna's surface. My chutes keep breaking. What altitude should I deploy them at to avoid becoming a crater? Or could it be that I'm coming in too hot?

Well, i sure am not an expert on landings, but i tried DUNA yesterday.

I had the whole kit on top of a single fuel tank with an engine making a T.

With the kit standing horizontaly, i made it using some mod radial circle decouplers, anywayz.

At some point near 16.000-20.000 meters i was coming down decelarating. I went to map mode for a sec to check things out, and when i came back i accidentaly pressed space :0.0:

After saying curses along with prayers i opened the 3 Drop chutes at about 500-700 m/s near 9.000m above duna, and they worked like a charm.

They reduce my speed to 100m/s abouts, and fully opened making a landing at near 6m/s or so.

So either that was extreme luck from my part, or you just open them way to soon making them break from the speed, or way to late making them full open early and going instaboom from the G's.

Easiest solution i can think of, is to quicksave just before deorbit, and keep trying until you get the magic numbers right, but yeah my lucky landing make me suggest anything under 500m/s and around 9000-10000m altitude.

@devogen Sometimes i open-close-reopen the hatch, and that unblocks the EVA mode, try that for a quickfix.

Edited by Thourion

Anyone else having this issue?

Does not matter which way I use it..

The hatch is clearly not obstructed... I can't EVA from this thing..

Devogen, the one time we were able to see this issue was on an older install that The Destroyer was using, when he created a new install the issue went away. I had a similar issue with the crewtank, but I was never able to track down the cause. Not sure what to say about this one...we're trying to figure it out but it's not reproducible and is apparently very rare.

Devogen, the one time we were able to see this issue was on an older install that The Destroyer was using, when he created a new install the issue went away. I had a similar issue with the crewtank, but I was never able to track down the cause. Not sure what to say about this one...we're trying to figure it out but it's not reproducible and is apparently very rare.

Well, if it helps this is what I have installed, and in this order

Fresh 0.17

1. Unpacked the DEMv4+drop mod

2. Installed mechjeb as a precaution (wasnt sure if all was included in the above package)

3. installed the electrical energy plugin

And thats it. When I get home, I will unzip a new 0.17, and will add ONLY the demv4. Then I will add one at a time and see if I can replicate the issue. The only thing I can think of is

one of the packages share files and some were replaced and some were not. As it stands with only the above mods installed, in that order - I can replicate this error on any new installation.

This was my third attempt - I also tried adding them in a different order so as not to overwrite any newer libraries, but no luck - same result no matter which order.

Well, if it helps this is what I have installed, and in this order

Fresh 0.17

1. Unpacked the DEMv4+drop mod

2. Installed mechjeb as a precaution (wasnt sure if all was included in the above package)

3. installed the electrical energy plugin

And thats it. When I get home, I will unzip a new 0.17, and will add ONLY the demv4. Then I will add one at a time and see if I can replicate the issue. The only thing I can think of is

one of the packages share files and some were replaced and some were not. As it stands with only the above mods installed, in that order - I can replicate this error on any new installation.

This was my third attempt - I also tried adding them in a different order so as not to overwrite any newer libraries, but no luck - same result no matter which order.

Thanks, I appreciate the help troubleshooting. I can't get this to occur, which makes it nearly impossible to try to fix. Any help from those experiencing the bug, is much appreciated.

• 6 months later...

Alright, there's no other threads on this, and this hasn't been active since Forumocalypse, so I'll bring it back to life and ask 'what's up with this / these mods'? Is there any chance the DEMV suite is going to get its bugfixes / be expanded in functionality, especially in regards to the new wheel controls? I understand Bobcat is currently invested into the Soviet Pack, but I hadn't thought they gave up on this entirely...

According to the first post, the DEMV Mk4 is supposed to come with an ION engine and a kethane tank which I've seen on a few youtube videos, but kerbalspaceport only seems to have the RAT pack which comes with the liquid engine only.

Where could I get the full MK4 pack from including the ION engine?

According to the first post, the DEMV Mk4 is supposed to come with an ION engine and a kethane tank which I've seen on a few youtube videos, but kerbalspaceport only seems to have the RAT pack which comes with the liquid engine only.

Where could I get the full MK4 pack from including the ION engine?

Check out the bottom of the first post:

Last edited by BobCat; 14th October 2012 at 14:41.

More than 6 months of this thread were lost with the server mishap, so the information in that post is horrendously out of date. I believe BlazingAngel, a BobCat Ind. team member has been updating the Mk4 "Rat" relatively recently. The version you see on SpacePort is his updated version. I can't remember if the ion engines were ever included... I feel like they were, but that was before electricity was a stock resource.

EDIT: I looked through my mod archive: the original version did indeed have the Ion Engines, but it is for 0.17.1 and uses several old versions of plugins like mumechlib.dll and zkreuzung.dll... there's no way it's compatible with any recent version of the game, and even if it was, it would overwrite any new versions of those plugins you might have installed from other mods. If you're dying to have it anyways, I can send it to you.

Edited by Yasutaka
checked my archives

Just for plain silliness, here's a highlight from a twitch broadcast I did late last night for a friend. I was trying to load the DEMV "Rat" aboard one of Devogen's Pegasus II craft when the Rat... well... gave in to it's more basic instincts. If you know what I mean... ^^;

"When the moonbuggy is a rockin', don't come knockin'!"

(If you like, imagine the above clip to the following music - http://youtu.be/sFhT1pNUBps )

:D

anybody figured out the trick to getting the ant out of the garage short of just picking up the lander and shaking it out hehe. mine always decides it wants to slide sideways bounce around inside and tear off anything I have mounted to it. ie snacpack, jeb, solarpanel.

I have been attempting to get some sound files to work in the DEMV mk2 .cfg file for about 8 hours, but cant for the life of me, get it right. I have studied the wikki .cfg editor and tried applying all of the methods used with no success. Just for fun, I was attempting to get the fspropstart.wav to activate as soon as I deployed the wheels, then while pressing the move forward, getting the fspropidle.wav/sound_jet_deep playing. I cant get any of the sounds to work. Could someone take a bit of time to help my "OLD" ass get this editing learnt...;.;

BTW: This is by far the best community I have had the pleasure of being a part of. Not kissing ass here, this place is GREAT.

Thx again

Dren

anybody figured out the trick to getting the ant out of the garage short of just picking up the lander and shaking it out hehe. mine always decides it wants to slide sideways bounce around inside and tear off anything I have mounted to it. ie snacpack, jeb, solarpanel.

What I do is affix a separator (TR-2C) to the ceiling of the garage, then mount the rat to the ceiling and release it when you're ready to deploy.

-e

Yeah I agree on this one. The coupler on the back was a poor design choice. Most of their Mods are incredible, but this seems to have quite a few bugs that were easily caught before release. But a few changes and its all working well. The ST landers are really well thought out, all but for the limited charge on the last "lander in a box". :)