Docking trouble

Hello  everyone.  I'm new to KSP.  I'm trying to separate my lander/satellite payload from the stage shown in the attachments (Apollo style) and dock them after I've dropped off the satellite and used the lander.  Unfortunately, I'm having no luck with docking.  I did a little bit of testing with other configurations and could dock with ease.  I've found the issue to lie in the placement of the docking port.  I think it might be because I have a separator placed on top of the port?  Can anyone provide me some guidance?  Thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/3FbhI63

https://imgur.com/ffRUcls

https://imgur.com/wTNfJ4S

1 hour ago, arthur106 said:

3FbhI63.jpg

ffRUcls.jpg

wTNfJ4S.jpg

If you add ".jpg" to the end of your imgur tags they show as pics. I'll look at them and see if I see anything...

1 hour ago, arthur106 said:

(Sorry about the extra quotes and junk. I'm on mobile and the editor hates our phones)

Edited by 5thHorseman

So I think you're staging, flipping the part on the right around, and then trying to dock and the part on the left still has the decoupler on it? Yes, that would stop docking.

You can fix this in 3 ways.

1. Flip the decoupler around, so it stays attached to the Science Jr.

2. Use a stack separator, which will detach from both sides.

3. Remove the decoupler and when you need to separate in space, right click the port and "detach" which will basically undock. Docking ports can serve as decouplers in this way. In the VAB you can even right click them and enable staging.

I personally prefer option 3.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Just as an extra tip, in addition to the 5thHorseman's solution, I suggest you get the DPAI (Docking Port Alignment Indicator) Mod if you don't have it already. It makes docking in space so much easier, because you can see how your port is aligned in comparison to the target port, so you just have to make sure you have it lined up on the DPAI Interface, it's very simple to use, and effective. 

this was not a sponsored message

Build tip: There's rarely a need to put a decoupler or stack separator above a docking port. Just use the docking port. It will have a decouple option in flight, even if it's not connected to another docking port.

P.S. I said the same thing as in 5thHorseman's "#3".

Edited by DeadJohn
Fixed "5thHorseman" spelling

On 3/1/2020 at 7:43 PM, 5thHorseman said:

I personally prefer option 3.

On 3/2/2020 at 8:40 AM, DeadJohn said:

Build tip: There's rarely a need to put a decoupler or stack separator above a docking port. Just use the docking port. It will have a decouple option in flight, even if it's not connected to another docking port.

P.S. I said the same thing as in 5Horseman's "#3".

5thHorseman and DeadJohn are spot-on with the best practice using the docking port as a decoupler. 

One other tip, though, disable crossfeed on the port prior to launch. Depending on your craft design, you could wind up drawing fuel/oxi from the craft above the docking port. 

What the others said.

You might also need to use struts or autostrut to give the craft more rigidity, docking ports are kind of wobbly, especially the small ones.

Edited by Guest

On 3/2/2020 at 10:40 AM, DeadJohn said:

After all those years playing KSP I never noticed that. Thanks for the tip!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.