[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 3

rasheed

I feel that atmospheres will make landings far easier. Parachute-assisted powered descents seem trivial, from my experimenting on Kerbin... the chutes hold you in a proper attitude and you only need to burn to keep your decent-rate down to a safe level. You sacrifice some precision on picking your exact touchdown point, but unless you are trying to set down right next to a specific object it's no big deal. And you save a lot of propellant.

This is a good point. Although you'll need two sets of parachutes for landing back on Kerbin.

I remember reading something about .18 having another 3 or 4 planets. Is this correct?

This is a good point. Although you'll need two sets of parachutes for landing back on Kerbin.

I remember reading something about .18 having another 3 or 4 planets. Is this correct?

I've heard discussion to the effect that they want to make the Kerbol system an analogue of the Sol system. But I don't recall actually seeing anything from the devs. In any event, I don't think much more planetary work will be done in .18, other than the polish that Nova mentioned that Moho needs. However, I don't think that even Squad really knows what they want in .18.

Yes, you will. My experimental Duna lander has a single parachute at the top of the ASAS "tower" on the command capsule's nose which I open first to stabilize the craft in a nose-up attitude, then several more chutes (on top of the 1m fuel-tank "outriggers" that also mount the landing legs) that I open in the next stage to provide a slower descent. I can burn the engine at this point to bring the descent-rate down lower, if needed.

The landing parachutes are discarded on touchdown, so they don't interfere with the take-off. There is another single parachute on the capsule (tucked away under the ASAS decoupler) in the final stage, if by some miracle I can get the crew home.

Confirmed by Nova it's after Jool I think. He made a post which I based that off of, I probably couldn't find it myself, it was something like

- Moho, lava planet

- Eve, Venus analog

-- Gilly, tiny captured asteroid moon

- Kerbin

-- Mún

-- Minmus

- DesertPlanet

-- Large rocky moon

- Gas Planet 1, green

-- water moon

-- rock moon

-- icy moon

-- asteroid moon

Future updates:

- Asteroid belt

- Gas Giant 2, rings

-- ringed moon

-- moons

- Gas Giant 3

-- moons

- Tiny ice planet

-- Tiny ice moon

- Gas Giant 4

-- moons

Personally I'm more excited for the outer solar system. I like the feeling of remoteness it has, even though it's not actually that far from home. My favourite planet is actually Neptune so I think I might have to establish a base around the furthest-out gas planet. For now, though, I think Duna is my first target

Edited by dragonfree97

They wouldn't be close enough to see. Unless the put Duna in the asteroid belt.

Even then there'd be very few - asteroids are very small and very far between so you'd only see the bigger ones from Duna unless they came very close, at which point they could be in danger with either collision with Duna or with Ike, and even then only very rarely would you see them

I'm not crazy about the idea of having the Kerbol System so closely match the Solar System...

It helps to lessen the learning curve if the system is similar to our own. It's not going to be exactly the same, Kerbin has two moons, but the idea is that if it's closer to what people already know, it's easier for them to learn other things.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

1cICb.png

Here's one I made earlier

inb4 someone says 'docking'

Just so you know Gilly is going to be the smallest object in the solar system (atleast for this update) only 26 km in diameter. I also heard bop (Jool's smallest moon) is actually slightly bigger than minmus

Okay, because everyone is freaking out about it, here are the stats for the NTR:

uItCJ.jpg

The TWR is greater than 1 for moderate payloads, enough that I was able to use 3 engines mounted radially as a Mun landing vehicle:

eNc3C.jpg

This single vehicle was able to perform TMI, MOI, Landing, takeoff, and return, and probably could have re-inserted itself into Kerbin orbit as I still had the small radial tanks available.

Nova are you using mods or is that new parts(i know about new stock nerva i mean he is on 4/5 page)?

Folks' date=' PLEASE, when you quote a post with images, snip the images from the quote. It makes the pages unnecessarily long. Also, we don't need to see the same image over and over and over....

Cheers!

[b']Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

I know! I hate when people do that!