Shuttle Challenge v6 - The STS thread [Stock and Mod Friendly] - ANNOUNCEMENT: v7 IS LIVE!

Am I allowed to use parts from the MK3 Expansion?

The OMS Engines I use are part of that mod because the Puff is pretty awful.

Also in regards to STS 4, is using a wingless Orbiter for a space station okay because I have an idea making that wingless orbiter the Space Station

Edited by Richmountain112

1 hour ago, Richmountain112 said:

Since Mk3 Expansion doesn't have overpowered parts (at least as far as I know), I'd expect it to be allowed under the modded category.  (though I'm sure you wouldn't cheat with modded parts xD)

5 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

Yes.

Also in regards to STS 4, is using a wingless Orbiter for a space station okay because I have an idea making that wingless orbiter the Space Station

Your primary orbiter(s) for each mission needs to return to Kerbin, and as such needs wings. If you also want to use a modified orbiter as payload, for constructing a space station or whatever, that's fine.

3 hours ago, Entropian said:

Since Mk3 Expansion doesn't have overpowered parts (at least as far as I know), I'd expect it to be allowed under the modded category.  (though I'm sure you wouldn't cheat with modded parts xD)

It's very much a stockalike mod, it's fine.

2 hours ago, Richmountain112 said:

Well I also have Atomic Age installed and could use the Nuclear Lightbulb but I'm not going to because the main reason I use it is to explore the Outer Planets mod.

I'm not familiar with Atomic Age. The general rule is that stockalike mods (that is, part balance is similar to stock) are allowed. Parts that are far more advanced than stock are not allowed.

33 minutes ago, Penguinonice27 said:

Would using procedural wings and airplane plus qualify under modded or stock? In addition,  are entries utilizing FAR and Deadly Reentry classified as standard or modded ?

P-wings and AP+ count as modded. FAR is the only atmosphere-altering mod allowed. I don't think anyone has submitted a FAR entry during my time running the challenge; I know there have been a few in the past though. I'll have to look and see what the ruling was.

Also, I literally just did exactly what I said I used the Atomic Light Bulbs for: Exploring the OPM.

Sent a shuttle to Sarnus and back, deployed a separate lander to Eeloo (The science reports haven't changed despite no longer being alone in that mod). I'm pretty sure that doesn't really count though, because not everyone has the mod.

• 2 weeks later...

My mods:
Atomic Age (does this alone disqualify me?)
Cormorant Aeronology
Jool Biomes (Adds Biomes to Jool)
Kerbal Engineer Readouts
Kerbal Reusability Expansion (Not used for Shuttle)
Kopernicus (Required for OPM)
Mk2 Expansion (Not used for Shuttle)
Mk3 Expansion (Coswaxin Engines)
Orbiter Construction Kit (Not used for Shuttle)
Outer Planets Mod
Planet Cyran
Plume Party (Not used for Shuttle, bundled with ReDIRECT and/or Orbiter Construction Kit, correct me if I'm wrong)
ReDIRECT (Not used for Shuttle)
Time Control
Tundra Technology  (Not used for Shuttle)
TweakScale (Not used for Shuttle)

A few pictures of various shuttles I made over the last few months for STS-1. DISCLAIMER: They are NOT the same mission, this is just to prove that I made one.

In the VAB (Back when I had very few mods installed):hJEOqw.png

Launch:DNqD3C.png

Climbing to Orbit:MQi5VT.png

In Orbit:GO3r1F.png

Landed:mDBnzp.png

• 2 months later...

Wondering about Kramax Autopilot. I simply can't a keyboard to land my shuttle, so I'm dialing in a custom approach plan.

Also have a pair of jet engines although the best they can do is mitigate descent, it can't "fly".

I figure the jets still qualify as "under its own power" but Kramax would be a deal breaker due to "manual control" requirement.

Edited by tg626

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/4/2023 at 5:09 AM, tg626 said:

Wondering about Kramax Autopilot. I simply can't a keyboard to land my shuttle, so I'm dialing in a custom approach plan.

Also have a pair of jet engines although the best they can do is mitigate descent, it can't "fly".

I figure the jets still qualify as "under its own power" but Kramax would be a deal breaker due to "manual control" requirement.

Atmospheric flight  must be done manually, sorry.

Edited by Artienia

• 2 months later...

I've reached out to Sturmhauke on potentially adding more missions.

If you have any mission ideas that you think could be interesting, Feel free to give your ideas!

Asteroids/Moho/Dres/OPM are all welcome.

So are missions that are limited time, such as the Christmas one we regularly have. Perhaps a summer vacation on Laythe?

Well then!

OPM please!

Also,  once initial descent is done, can Mechjeb guide the orbiter to the KSC? Or is it not allowed due to the manual control requirement while in an atmosphere?

My idea: Sarnus STS 1 - Deploy an atmospheric probe into Sarnus. Bonus points if it's a sample return probe (like Eve STS 2) or brought the shuttle down there instead (though if you do the latter, make sure to get back out).  May also apply to Jool, Urlum, or Neidon as well.

6 minutes ago, Richmountain112 said:

OPM please!

Also,  once initial descent is done, can Mechjeb guide the orbiter to the KSC? Or is it not allowed due to the manual control requirement while in an atmosphere?

My idea: Sarnus STS 1 - Deploy an atmospheric probe into Sarnus. Bonus points if it's a sample return probe (like Eve STS 2) or brought the shuttle down there instead (though if you do the latter, make sure to get back out).  May also apply to Jool, Urlum, or Neidon as well.

A cassini-type mission was high on my list. For Sarnus i also though that "Bring an Egg to Ovok" could be a fun challange!

Regarding mech jeb, *all* atmospheric flight has to be done manually *or* programmed by oneself, so that would be a No.

STS-3 Mission Report

"James Kebb"

Sts3report.png

Full Report Link: STS-3 "James Kebb"

It's been a long while since I, or anyone really, has done mission reports so i've taken it upon myself! These will be the last mission before the influx of new missions. I've spoken to Sturmhauke and we might just get a lot more missions, with a potential reboot (It's been 3 years since last reboot, it's high time).

Pretty standard mission but that shuttle was really hard to design, even if it looks quite trivial. I encourage everyone to look through the mission report to see if i've committed any inconsistencies, if not, I'll take the badge for now.

In the meanwhile, if you have any ideas for missions, Please tell us! Currently my goal is to get every planet 4 missions.

The additional suggestion count for each planet are the following:

Moho: 2/4
Eve: 4/4
Dres: 4/4
Jool: 2/4

Sarnus: 4/4
Urlum: 2/4
Neidon: 1/4
Plock: 1/4

Asteroids: 3/4

I won't reveal the specific missions per se right now, but i am happy to announce that the limited time <CHRISTMAS> missions will be getting a revamp (get ready Eeloo!) and we might just get limited time <SUMMER> missions aswell.... 
Happy shuttling!

There's a longstanding Jool 5 challenge already. (You can click on the badge in my sig if you want to see my entry.) If we do one, there would have to be a big twist on it; I wouldn't want to just do a straight copy.