Disabling a docking ports function

hendrack

Recently I put up a big station into orbit with a lot of open docking ports and the game lagged like hell. I dismissed it as "well ok, too much parts etc", but according to this thread on reddit, open ports really seem to be an issue regarding lag. Reading through it it appears shielded ports cause less lag.

Here is a fps comparison from that thread:

8mZGzFf.png

I am no coder, can some of the more able ppl weigh in if its possible to make a plugin that triggers a ports function, or make it behave like a shielded port with an on/off trigger?

DISCLAIMER: I don't know if this would work:

but

@PART[]:HAS[]:NEEDS[]:FOR[]

{
	@MODULE[ModuleDockingNode]:HAS[]
	{
		isEnabled = false
 		moduleIsEnabled = false
	}
}

might work. Just don't know how you would a) qualify/restrict and b) how you would enable it. might be easier to use KaboOom! or KML to prune the extraneous ones.

Interesting stuff, maybe @Shadowmage and @Beale can give their opinion how difficult this is to code, for example some Tantares docking ports have animations for extending and retracting the probe, can this be coupled with an enabled/disabled state?

I'll then just put the male docking ports on the orbital station and dock it with the craft, not the other way around :D

Edited by hendrack

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.