[1.3.1] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.15.9.1 "Liepmann" 4/2/18

ferram4

Yes, in latest update B9 procedural wing CAN hold fuel. I think that you misread my post :)

And, yes wing tips have huge effect on lift, it is common practice in RL to have wingtips instead large wingspan. Wingtips also helps with roll and sideslip stabilization.

I use winglets to make forward sweep aircraft more stable in sideslip, counters their desire to roll into the slip somewhat ( but mostly keeps FAR happy ). Real winglets act as fences & reduce tip vortices, which we don't have to deal with yet - mind you with my habit of putting engines on wingtips that's also rather moot...

16184614520_e2db9c2669_b.jpg

Dermeister, in your case you might simply have adjusted the centre of lift at a particular angle by changing the shape of the wings slightly - that really can happen with even minor adjustments.

I've got a question, when you right click on your control surface under pitch, yaw and roll there's AoA, does it make my my surface move as AoA rises or what?

Yes. Depending on the setting it can be used to increase pitch stability or maneuverability.

So if I can use them to make my plane more stable at high AoAs?

Yes. If you give elevators a positive AoA response or canards a negative AoA response it should increase stability by creating a natural pitch down force at high AoA.

So if I can use them to make my plane more stable at high AoAs?

Yes. It is kind of "Automatic trim control". As you AoA rise or lower, control surfaces trims to desired direction +/- % of control deflection you have set for that control surface.

ferram asked for suggestion of better name for AoA(%) feature. Maybe it is better to call it "Automatic trim control" ? Is it more self explainatory ?

ferram asked for suggestion of better name for AoA(%) feature. Maybe it is better to call it "Automatic trim control" ? Is it more self explainatory ?

Maybe "AoA% trim"?

And yes, you can use it to add artificial stability to your plane, which is awesome.

That means that red stability derivatives mean pretty much nothing if you (really) know what you are doing.

Also I've got some problems with my my attack plane. Every time I make a plane with A-10 like low sweep angle it's very hard to pitch up, because after I reach some AoA it jumps down to the original position.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I've got some problems with my my attack plane. Every time I make a plane with A-10 like low sweep angle it's very hard to pitch up, because after I reach some AoA it jumps down to the original position.

the problem disapperas after addings some leadingedge extension, but, it makes it look too quick, I want something, that looks more slow and strong...

the problem disapperas after addings some leadingedge extension, but, it makes it look too quick, I want something, that looks more slow and strong...

Decrease max deflection of your front surface and/or making it smaller might help.

Yes. It is kind of "Automatic trim control". As you AoA rise or lower, control surfaces trims to desired direction +/- % of control deflection you have set for that control surface.

Well, it's not really trim in that it doesn't set your craft's attitude, the surface just deflects along with changes in AoA unless I've been misreading it - so you can either have it deflect to try and minimise AoA ( which isn't trim, it's more flight envelope protection ) or deliberately introduce instability by trying to increase AoA. I'm not really sure what you'd call it tbh.

Would be nice if we could get it to start deflecting only after a certain AoA ( unless that's a feature already and I missed it ) - that way you really could have some sort of alpha protection.

Well, it's not really trim in that it doesn't set your craft's attitude, the surface just deflects along with changes in AoA unless I've been misreading it - so you can either have it deflect to try and minimise AoA ( which isn't trim, it's more flight envelope protection ) or deliberately introduce instability by trying to increase AoA. I'm not really sure what you'd call it tbh.

Would be nice if we could get it to start deflecting only after a certain AoA ( unless that's a feature already and I missed it ) - that way you really could have some sort of alpha protection.

Set it to deflect in the opposite direction to what you want, but with a limited range. E.g. if you want it to deflect down at high AoA, give it an upwards AoA setting but with a max deflection of only five or so. It'll stay parallel to the airstream until AoA exceeds 5°, then start getting dragged down.

D3lYxS7.jpg

SO far... the moment of truth soon I know she will glide.. but question is.... does the data reflect how it will truly fly? Wish me luck!

SO THE THIGN GLIDES RATHER WELL ... but any 1 knows how to fix the bug of if you have Airbreaks that split on the tail .. it works fine until you decouple then it only breaks on 1 side causing a major roll...

This is what it does...Irp4NOk.jpg

This is what it should do...IsWSOuy.png

Edited by Dermeister

Perhaps you can try offseting your split-brakes a little bit to left/right, so that it's easier for FAR to judge which side each spoiler belongs to? just my guess...

YEa I tried that it works fine in the editor or on the runway but it screws up when you uncouple. It might just be a bug with the transport plane we will see if it still does it when it decouples from the booster stack.

What i found helps is to rotate each side of the split brake a bit so they form a wedge when viewed from the front.

Technically speaking, i think FAR expects that the rotation axis has a non-zero component in the span-wise direction.

Edited by DaMichel

What i found helps is to rotate each side of the split brake a bit so they form a wedge when viewed from the front.

Technically speaking, i think FAR expects that the rotation axis has a non-zero component in the span-wise direction.

I understood half of what you said because I don't understand the spawn component part but basically you say to Pre Rotate them Just a little bit twards the position I want them to split into and it will help the far know how to orient them?

I understood half of what you said because I don't understand the spawn component part but basically you say to Pre Rotate them Just a little bit twards the position I want them to split into and it will help the far know how to orient them?

Sorry, my mistake. This is what i meant.

wbv2LIr.jpg

Edited by DaMichel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.