Ring Systems in KSP 2

Ring Systems  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What are they made of?

• Stuff we interact with.
    • Just decorative.
    • A mix of both in the same system.

So I was looking at the trailer, and suddenly I wondered what it would look like to fly through the ring systems we see. Are they going to be just "dust", only a cosmetic feature with no effect on spaceflight, or will we see objects in them like small asteroids? What other possibilities are there? 

If there are particles and asteroids in the grasp of the game's physics, I want my Ice Trawler Canterbury!

There was a little snippet in the trailer of two Kerbals flying what looked like rocket-propelled rocks through either an asteroid field or a planetary ring system, so I would expect ring systems to be solid; however the potential performance hit from having hundreds or even thousands of individual objects floating around in the same place and bouncing off each other in a cascade of collisions if you happen to nudge one the wrong way could be substantial. It could also be dangerous for ships approaching from other planets/solar systems if they accidentally blunder into the ring and get instantly splattered by rocks.

I would guess, from a technical standpoint,  that the distant view will be a texture on a circular plane map, but when you approach it fades out and fades in a scatter tool similar to how rocks are already generated on the planets.

If you think they will have collision detection and you can crash into them, or knock them out of place, I would highly advise you to manage your expectations. It would be great, but as Jimmy mentions, it could cause the devs great pain, performance wise, to try and get it to work on older systems. And as business people,  at the end of the day,  their goal is to get it to play on as many computers as possible.

Edited by Stevie_D

5 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

There was a little snippet in the trailer of two Kerbals flying what looked like rocket-propelled rocks through either an asteroid field or a planetary ring system, so I would expect ring systems to be solid; however the potential performance hit from having hundreds or even thousands of individual objects floating around in the same place and bouncing off each other in a cascade of collisions if you happen to nudge one the wrong way could be substantial. It could also be dangerous for ships approaching from other planets/solar systems if they accidentally blunder into the ring and get instantly splattered by rocks.

Not everything has to be loaded. The rocks could just despawn at a certain distance.

5 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

There was a little snippet in the trailer of two Kerbals flying what looked like rocket-propelled rocks through either an asteroid field or a planetary ring system

Asteroids in asteroid fields are hundreds and thousands of kilometers apart.

I'm personally hoping for solid, collidable (?) systems of thousands of rocks. The navigation hazards will be most interesting...

I do hope the devs can come up with a good solution to the performance problem; I don't wanna have to refrigerate my PC.:lol:

Edited by SOXBLOX

On 6/4/2020 at 7:07 AM, Acid_Burn9 said:

I hope we'll see something like in Elite Dangerous.

Oh, please no. That is way too unrealistic. Much more unrealistic than fusion drives and all that future hocus pocus even.

3 minutes ago, Dafni said:
On 6/4/2020 at 6:07 AM, Acid_Burn9 said:

I hope we'll see something like in Elite Dangerous.

Oh, please no. That is way too unrealistic. Much more unrealistic than fusion drives and all that future hocus pocus even.

Fusion drives aren't unrealistic.

On 6/5/2020 at 9:17 PM, Stevie_D said:

I would guess, from a technical standpoint,  that the distant view will be a texture on a circular plane map, but when you approach it fades out and fades in a scatter tool similar to how rocks are already generated on the planets.

If you think they will have collision detection and you can crash into them, or knock them out of place, I would highly advise you to manage your expectations. It would be great, but as Jimmy mentions, it could cause the devs great pain, performance wise, to try and get it to work on older systems. And as business people,  at the end of the day,  their goal is to get it to play on as many computers as possible.

Doesn't mean they can't just use probability to guesstimate a impact on the ship. Solar panels might might break if extended and such. Much like colliding with the ground only changes the craft.

2 minutes ago, mcwaffles2003 said:
On 6/5/2020 at 5:18 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Asteroids in asteroid fields are hundreds and thousands of kilometers apart.

In rings the debris is much closer together than in an asteroid field

Ik