KSP 1.10 Venture Collaborative Station Grand Discussion thread

Who is willing to take part?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. I wanna be part of it

2. 2. Where should we launch the mission to

Can we raise the part limit to ~ 30 parts. With 10 parts you have to choose between compromising functionality for aesthetics or vice versa. Even with the 30 part limit the station will still have less than 1000 parts, so if people with slower computers dock first it won't be a problem.

Also, @VoidCosmos, may I create a thread with a poll to help us understand wars going on, the questions are:

• Can you do interplanetary transfers?
  • Can you dock?
  • Who's building a tug (to transport the modules of those who cannot get it to Laythe.)
  • Who's docking other people's modules (same reason as above.)
  • Assuming we increase the part limit, who needs to go dock earlier because of there pc.

The questions will be yes/no or me/not me depending on the question. Once everyone has voted, we can figure out the order in the eighth and start on the ninth. Also, will it be in 1.10.0 or 1.10.1?

16 minutes ago, catloaf said:

Can we raise the part limit to ~ 30 parts.

I don't think that would be a good idea. I have a pretty powerful PC and I start to get lag around 300 or so parts, and control begins to become an issue around 500 - I believe it gets exponentially worse with each part you add.

And that's before potential Kraken considerations.

46 minutes ago, OutInSpace said:

I don't think that would be a good idea. I have a pretty powerful PC and I start to get lag around 300 or so parts, and control begins to become an issue around 500 - I believe it gets exponentially worse with each part you add.

And that's before potential Kraken considerations.

Ok then 20 parts. 10 is way to little to build anything that isn't useless or ugly. 15 is the bare minimum. Maybe a way we could manage it is 25 part maximum, but try to keep it as low as possible. Alternatively we could have two cores and two stations, since we're getting to the point where the number of people are starting to affect the potential quality of people's modules. Maybe an orbiting station and a surface base, or allowing people to do modules that compliment the station but aren't part of it (relay network, for example.) I think that maybe having two stations may even be necessary, with 33 people. Plus this would allow more complementary modules and ensure the longevity of the project. Why do a collaborative station when you can do a collaborative exploration project, or a collaborative sandbox save? Plus, if it was successful enough we might even get totm!

Edited by catloaf

11 minutes ago, epicfailure2020 said:

so how big should i build this?

As big as you want and as big as the part limit allows you. Please make a lot of docking ports, and all 3 sizes of them.

@OutInSpace What do you think about increasing the part limit to 20 Parts?

4 minutes ago, epicfailure2020 said:

well it would change my design from having 20 parts including a probe to help maneuver things to just a station core.

Maybe somebody else could make this probe.

5 minutes ago, s_gamer101 said:

@OutInSpace What do you think about increasing the part limit to 20 Parts?

660 parts would probably work. We'd definetely want to avoid any wacky physics contraptions though.

Actually... what about DLC? I don't have either of them, so what happens if someone equips the station with Breaking Ground parts? Do they stay or disappear?

2 minutes ago, OutInSpace said:

Actually... what about DLC? I don't have either of them, so what happens if someone equips the station with Breaking Ground parts? Do they stay or disappear?

assuming that one person is downloading these them selves to run on there computer than it should be fine if they have dlcs but if you play it it wont work.

4 minutes ago, OutInSpace said:

I think the following would happen: Just after you loaded the save file, a warning would appear on your screen (while you are still at the space center) telling you that Vessel [Name of the Vessel] is causing problems. If you would press „Ok“, the Vessel would be deleted. And you certainly won‘t be able to load it.

is this okay? it has exactly 20 parts not including the launcher. it has 5 normal docking ports one big port and 3 small ones. it has a possible crew of 16 with 2 aboard it already. don't worry about the satellites I will delete them. the 3 stage is still there for any orbit adjustments. UBLRnCz1dsG-4icfvO5A1CDa5NABfG-U8MesqGXYA7JXRZrVyDpMULaDkaqxD9BWNOZ6UDpl6NJVa-1an_4ZVBaGKvBf37qDUsuuGlfTkEoBBZUzEkgl6IoI2wxl2vyuvpvlJwwnApyA6bxBAqsdDXx5XqWuONpCDnI8nygq5C9yZ_rxHW7KDjbYMAD23bWmG_Hn92QkGz2Hcm5R4qMU-XxbFzU9zy1-TaE__lbi40MmVx97AezCqVQrB8WugwRYCqTVh6WMLyZ8iCO9erqA8Kwbk6C_rBMqGU3DPnRxbcfQKW_KTtRvtlDu0llcWrjm5rP4Wigqjtmu26O1CIgIqhkMsQYsnd7FU7bOjjhdCRcAQr_nK8HWg1dUZ-kQpN3n1CytDLnl3YXsxOOo8BOIMyHQwAFqzBN7yvLc4GuwSBT1OTlDBEb8mW7-eqnC4qLhJcw1fTrSxZeyKNB4AsHlHnO5fGeHiz9CKs5bnyIGGAaaR9rzp31sF5WmHmgecvvxKswp5qdirafkKJYNRJvPez8rp0XLxa0Fx2-pw8esLe1YVPsQ6IkBpxKmegql-vQ7qA7Pi6WIdcCoNLrij22KbGiT7qTr5pgyACQiwxiy2Eh5MwkL2biI88ztOwRFngKXiQrG5uzZpvS6kGlOPWWwy4QfvB7Lfvg2d36_0R4ZG62gAQwmo8CZGZ66yVdJJcptlcZDKC9Vy97NCH6bnON_T3zCM0jqFuiJEE_dPAPIVATNlkl0SeS6dEi76qnlxEtX8u1W2fL5XxfaPlxOER6DFlpywauTT1kNn_BSfuN9m8TyACIkfcOsohVu1Qln2J2io-iweGwurdiEk3EyQMLwfULbqz-T45wqp4tpMs2Ab9YrcFBO7TQ6ekviGY2qTxKChoKaoLBgT2oas8IMI8S7r9JVtvC7FbvmWkyoNFN8Nhiwn-EkzvfRL5s8g

Edited by epicfailure2020

2 minutes ago, epicfailure2020 said:

am i allowed to launch a resupply mission and not leave it docked so it doesn't count as a module?

I don't see why not. Only rule is it has to get there without cheats - a resupply should be fine.

Edit: Don't forget this: " Also add your avatar as a flag in the game, and then you can add it to your parts. One flag will be made for the station with everyone's flags. "

Edited by OutInSpace

9 minutes ago, epicfailure2020 said:

o i forgot and dont want to launch again :( can i create a 5 part extension that has it?

Hey man, I'm not in charge here! :wink: I'm just interpreting the rules. But that'd probably be fine. I mean, you are launching the core module.

Edited by OutInSpace

Spoiler

sA7P8WU.png

Here's my module - the "mass relay." The two Rhino engines can be fired simultaneously via the abort group, kicking away anything in the nozzles, such as a drop pod or Kerbal. From a 100k Kerbin orbit I was able to deorbit a Mk2 can with a heat shield, 4x chutes, 4x airbrakes and a 2.5m reaction wheel.

It has three 1.25m ports, one for docking the relay and two for other modules and/or drop pods to be used in the relay. It also has a command chair and RCS, allowing it to be detached and reoriented as needed.

(We're going to Laythe, yeah?)

46 minutes ago, epicfailure2020 said:

ok the extension i built has 7 parts and adds a manometer boom and relay antenna and rcs tank.

Are there only 2 docking ports? I think we'll need a lot of docking ports.

19 minutes ago, OutInSpace said:

(We're going to Laythe, yeah?)

I'm not sure, but I think we're going to Jool.

19 minutes ago, OutInSpace said:

It has three 1.25m ports

Is that radial mounted thing on the fuel tank one of this docking ports? It doesn't look like a stock part to me.

Edited by s_gamer101
I confused something

1 minute ago, s_gamer101 said:

Are there only 2 docking ports? I think we'll need a lot of docking ports.

I can add some more.

1 minute ago, s_gamer101 said:

Is that radial mounted thing on the fuel tank one of this docking ports? It doesn't look like a stock part to me.

Yeah, it's the stock Clamp-o-Tron. Not sure if it was retextured by one of my mods, or if that's just what it looks like with textures at max, but its definitely stock.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.