[1.8.x-1.12.x]R-T-B's Kopernicus Unified "Bleeding Edge" Branch[REACTIVATED]

R-T-B

4 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Does this Kopernicus version take into account comets?

At this point, it's either on/off, with no way of further configuration. And even when it's on, they can be a little weird sometimes. That (along with a way for planet modders to assign new Jool-style shaders to planets) is what's keeping this otherwise stable dev branch from integration with the main Kopernicus.

6 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Comets and Jool shaders are the only issues.

22 hours ago, R-T-B said:

The stability is near identical to 1.9.1 CKAN release.  The only issues in the 1.10.1 branch is that comet support is not currently controllable (other than on/off), nor are Joolain shaders (we just shut them off on all bodies but Jool).

I'd have released it as as stable by now if I had time to deal with those things, lol.

Sorry for the delay in my work, all.  For the past few days I have been fighting off a "minor" inner ear infection (probably related to the nearby wildfires and sinus issues I can have) that made my entire world feel like a dizzy whirlpool from hell.  I'm just now getting over it and able to type/code...  worst thing I've ever experienced.  I'll spare you the details, and get back to work, though. :)

On 9/14/2020 at 3:36 PM, davidy12 said:

Beyond using the stock generator or not, no.  (so basically on/off).

14 minutes ago, Ne_01 said:

this is either a bug with RSS or with this, but uh, all gas giants have the exact same texture and color

Can you post a screenshot + modlist?  I'll look into it tomorrow if I can reproduce.  It's possible the stock "Jool Green" shader is slipping through on RSS for some reason.

Edited by R-T-B

6 hours ago, R-T-B said:

Sorry for the delay in my work, all.  For the past few days I have been fighting off a "minor" inner ear infection (probably related to the nearby wildfires and sinus issues I can have) that made my entire world feel like a dizzy whirlpool from hell.  I'm just now getting over it and able to type/code...  worst thing I've ever experienced.  I'll spare you the details, and get back to work, though. :)

Take care of yourself first, then worry about your hobby-projects.

13 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

Take care of yourself first, then worry about your hobby-projects.

Believe it or not, keeping ones eyes closed 24/7 is boring.  They prescribed me something to deal with the nausea and now I am wanting to code, just need to do it in limited stretches for a few days.

4 hours ago, Ne_01 said:

You sir, have been Joolified.  I don't know why that is happening (I thought we dealt with this bug AGES ago...) but I will see to fixing it.  Thank you for the report.  I have a pretty strong suspicion I can fix that today with some investigation, so that'll be the goal for now.

Can't reproduce.  I just loaded up the same mods and it works for me.  You must have some kind of install issue?  A KSP.log file may help.

Edited by R-T-B

7 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Out of curiosity, do you plan to release a 1.9.* and 1.10.* Release 29 edition to your fork even though its essentially a mirror of the Kopernicus 1.9.1-3 release or do full releases on the main trunk skip a release on the dev branch?

Release 29 is not needed, as 1.9.1-3 is basically Release 28 code. Release 29, the commit you may see, was a bad thing and I reverted it.  A misguided attempt to fix something that didn't even need fixing, honestly.

When I do some more bugfixes, they'll probably get tested here first, and we'll have a proper release 29...  which if all goes well after enough well tested fixes build up will be pushed to CKAN as a stable release.  I do hope to not need another fix so I can start to work on 1.10.1 features though. ;)

Hope that clarifies.

Edited by R-T-B

Also out of curiosity, would it be possible to CKAN the BE releases? I had to jump through some mildly weird hoops to install anything with a Kopernicus dependency through CKAN in the first place (install Kopernicus 1.9.1, delete directories, install BE in its place,) and while I don't mind manual installation, it is annoying to see that "pending update" checkbox for Kopernicus, tempting me to break things. :D

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of way to do this (that, or MechJeb-DEV has some sort of special handling,) but I couldn't actually tell you how.

In theory, yes, the Bleeding Edge versions could be added to CKAN, if desired, but hidden unless the user subscribed to an additional metadata repository like MechJeb-dev. This way, you could even list versions of Kopernicus that are specific for different versions of KSP.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

In theory, yes, the Bleeding Edge versions could be added to CKAN, if desired, but hidden unless the user subscribed to an additional metadata repository like MechJeb-dev. This way, you could even list versions of Kopernicus that are specific for different versions of KSP.

Hmm.  The issue being of course, that my repo isn't under the same organization as the main Kopernicus one.  We could fix that easy enough though.

I am unsure what the setup entails, but I am fully open to making this possible, especially given how long the 1.10.1 update is taking in the "polish" phase.  I will discuss with some more knowledgeable parties and see about it.

If anyone could link docs about how to do this in the meantime, I'd love to have some reading material when I get off work.

Edited by R-T-B

3 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

It might be worth talking to @DasSkelett or @HebaruSan about it.

I've already pieced together the CKAN syntax to make this happen by manually having users add a repo, but will probably discuss it with them later so I don't have to do this manually each release.  I will be updating with a new release and opt-in CKAN option shortly.  Watch this space.

Edited by R-T-B

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

26 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

I am unsure what the setup entails, but I am fully open to making this possible, especially given how long the 1.10.1 update is taking in the "polish" phase.  I will discuss with some more knowledgeable parties and see about it.

If anyone could link docs about how to do this in the meantime, I'd love to have some reading material when I get off work.

1 minute ago, Poodmund said:

It might be worth talking to @DasSkelett or @HebaruSan about it.

I don't know the details of exactly how Sarbian has the MechJeb-dev stuff set up; that was a bit before my time. But the end result is that he serves up this .tar.gz on his own server, containing .ckan files for the dev releases:

Presumably there is a .netkan file somewhere behind the scenes containing this, which Sarbian's Jenkins scripts use (along with a copy of netkan.exe) to generate .ckan files after builds:

"$kref": "#/ckan/jenkins/https://ksp.sarbian.com/jenkins/job/MechJeb2-Dev/",

If you wanted to attempt this for a Kopernicus-dev module, you wouldn't necessarily need Jenkins, but you'd need some kind of system for generating .ckan files and compressing them into a downloadable .tar.gz.

Hello all!  Experimental CKAN support for the bleeding edge is now available from release 28 forward, including automatic updates.  You just have to opt in to my private repo to get this cool stuff.  Here is how you do this:

From your main CKAN window, go to "Settings"

Hit the first "New" button that appears.

Add our CKAN repo in the resulting text box.  It is as follows (use copy and paste to put it in, CTRL-C + CTRL-V after highlighting the text, respectively):

Kopernicus_BE |http://glacialsoftware.net/CKAN/Kopernicus_BE.tar.gz

Now hit ok, go back to the main window and refresh.  You should have access to all the bleeding edge builds.  They will update just like any other CKAN thingy.

Should look like this in the repo window:

untitled007.png

@HebaruSan, obviously I figured this out well before you posted, but still, is there some way we can get an official repo marker in the main project for this so people don't have to grab a random line from the internet, like MechJeb has?  Just asking.

Edited by R-T-B

Just now, R-T-B said:

@HebaruSan, obviously I figured this out well before you posted, but still, is there some way we can get an official repo marker in the main project for this so people don't have to grab a random line from the internet, like MechJeb has?  Just asking.

Yes, a pull request here:  https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN-meta/blob/master/repositories.json

16 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Hello all!  Experimental CKAN support for the bleeding edge is now available from release 28 forward, including automatic updates.  You just have to opt in to my private repo to get this cool stuff.  Here is how you do this:

From your main CKAN window, go to "Settings"

Hit the first "New" button that appears.

Add our CKAN repo in the resulting text box.  It is as follows (use copy and paste to put it in, CTRL-C + CTRL-V after highlighting the text, respectively):

Kopernicus_BE |http://glacialsoftware.net/CKAN/Kopernicus_BE.tar.gz

Now hit ok, go back to the main window and refresh.  You should have access to all the bleeding edge builds.  They will update just like any other CKAN thingy.

Should look like this in the repo window:

untitled007.png

Seems to be working - no NyanCats yet. That was quick - thanks!

Edit: Although I'll note that I had to uninstall everything Kopernicus-related first before it'd let me install the BE repo you provided - it wouldn't let me "swap them in place" so to speak.

Edited by etmoonshade

59 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

Seems to be working - no NyanCats yet. That was quick - thanks!

CKAN has a pretty robust system for setting that stuff up, so kudos to them.  It will take longer to automate my release process properly (nothing interesting to you guys, but makes me work less, which is good cause it saves energy for bugfixing), but at least for now, it works!

Edit: Although I'll note that I had to uninstall everything Kopernicus-related first before it'd let me install the BE repo you provided - it wouldn't let me "swap them in place" so to speak.

Yeah, this is to make sure the folder is clean.  It's kind of intended, as bleeding edge sometimes has new experimental things in the configs and I don't want CKAN just assuming all will be well switching from stable to BE.  Updating should be smooth however, you should only need to "hardswap" once.

Edited by R-T-B

4 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

CKAN has a pretty robust system for setting that stuff up, so kudos to them.  It will take longer to automate my release process properly (nothing interesting to you guys, but makes me work less, which is good cause it saves energy for bugfixing), but at least for now, it works!

I swear, I need to start just waiting 2 minutes instead of editing my posts when dealing with you. :V

11 minutes ago, R-T-B said:

Yeah, this is to make sure the folder is clean.  It's kind of intended, as bleeding edge sometimes has new experimental things in the configs and I don't want CKAN just assuming all well be well switching from stable to BE.  Updating should be smooth however, you should only need to "hardswap" once.

I'll make sure to complain next time you release a BE release. :D

It is a problem I've had in CKAN before though, even when just upgrading something. I haven't managed to pin down a cause though, so I haven't submitted a log report yet - the logs that CKAN has seem to be fairly sparse as far as reporting what went wrong. >_<

46 minutes ago, etmoonshade said:

I swear, I need to start just waiting 2 minutes instead of editing my posts when dealing with you. :V

It's a symptom of being scatterbrained as heck.  Don't worry, I don't think it's contagious.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.