Mars Rover Perseverance Discussion Thread

cubinator

• 1 month later...

What does it take to bring that down? It's the aerial equivalent of Opportunity by this point. ^_^

Side speculation: I wonder if it or another like it could blow dust off solar panels by hovering over a probe?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

They were lucky. I had once a coaxial RC-helicopter. It went sometimes in  "LAND_NOW" -mode (usually after rotor had hit to some object) and made autonomic unscheduled landing.  My helicopter needed almost always manual repairs after such events.

18 hours ago, Hannu2 said:

They were lucky. I had once a coaxial RC-helicopter. It went sometimes in  "LAND_NOW" -mode (usually after rotor had hit to some object) and made autonomic unscheduled landing.  My helicopter needed almost always manual repairs after such events.

I assume land_now mode==loss of lift and control :) One benefit of gravity is that you always get something airborne back to earth. 

On 8/10/2023 at 5:03 AM, magnemoe said:

I assume land_now mode==loss of lift and control :) One benefit of gravity is that you always get something airborne back to earth. 

Your assumption is correct.  Gravity prevents material losses, but 0.1 g would be more than enough for RC aircraft hobbyists.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/27/2023 at 4:11 PM, cubinator said:

I wonder what things they think should be improved for future extraplanetary rotorcraft, what weaknesses they see in Ingenuity after its resounding success.

A little late responding, but just noticed this.  I think ways to keep PVs clean, or to clean them, will be considered.  My idea is to make the rotors somehow dust off the PVs. 

Consider putting the PVs below the rotors.  Folded down vertically out of the airflow during flight (negligible loss in recharge for the short flights), the panels would flip horizontal when grounded and be just below the rotors.  Prop wash could then dust them off and the rotors could be parked inline with  the gap between the panels to reduce shadowing. 

Maybe the panels could also move upward to be at or above rotor level in landed/recharge mode to reduce shadowing, but robust fail-safes to prevent rotor operation in this mode would be a big deal, and the panel mechanical rotations and translations and flexing PV electrical connections would need to be flawless

6 hours ago, cubinator said:

How about rotors covered in a thin PV surface? They seem to have enough area for it.

Getting the power through the rotating parts to the battery reliably and with good durability gets more complicated, but worth pondering for sure. 

I really like the idea that the PVs would get cleaned with every flight though.  Very tasty 

Edited by darthgently

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Well, when you consider that it was intended to make 5 flights and has made 72, it's done pretty good.

Ingenuity (helicopter) - Wikipedia

You're right of course. It did perform well ahead of expectations. But the end of the series of successful flights would still be a bit sad.

To put it another way, it's not because your great-grand-daddy is past 100 years old that you don't wish him to keep on !