Mars Rover Perseverance Discussion Thread

cubinator

1 hour ago, Serenity said:

then we probably would have reached a point that we don't need 'rare'' resource deposits.

If we ever reach the point we don't need resource deposits - then there won't be a need for us to do anything.

Grin

For the sake of argument - I'll agree that it is unlikely to make economic sense to bring raw materials back here from space for production... but there is a sufficient excess of untapped, likely easily extracted ores (engineering challenge) that can be used for space-based manufacturing - most of which will likely be used in expanding space-based economies.  But some of the stuff thus created will make its way planetside.  Perhaps my unborn grand children's grandchildren will get to see a future with humanity in space in numbers.  As it is, I'd be thrilled to see 1,000 people regularly off world for various reasons within the next 50 years.

8 hours ago, southernplain said:

Shockingly, people like to wear nice clothes and have nice things. This is a human universal across all time periods and cultures.

Yes.

Spoiler

The Amish Today | American Experience | Official Site | PBS

The kind of people who would definitely maintain a Martian colony, if you find a technological compromise,
Ideal colonists from any pov.

Some problem would be with Martian rovers.
They would need horsuits.

Spoiler

LANCASTER AMISH COUNTRY TOUR | Amazing Destinations | Group Bus Tours

Edited by kerbiloid

26 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Yes.

Reveal hidden contents

The Amish Today | American Experience | Official Site | PBS

The kind of people who would definitely maintain a Martian colony, if you find a technological compromise,

Reveal hidden contents

LANCASTER AMISH COUNTRY TOUR | Amazing Destinations | Group Bus Tours

Just need to alt+f12 and cheat them to a low Martian orbit with a heat shield

10 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

If we ever reach the point we don't need resource deposits - then there won't be a need for us to do anything.

I said ''rare'', we will still need to harvest resources but we will be able to use the most common ones, like water and process them depending what we need.

10 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Perhaps my unborn grand children's grandchildren will get to see a future with humanity in space in numbers.  As it is, I'd be thrilled to see 1,000 people regularly off world for various reasons within the next 50 years.

I really hope so as well but i think space will be filled with robots and automated factories supervised by maybe 50-100 people at a time and maybe not even all the time, just for service visits or difficult repairs.

Edited by Serenity

On 6/9/2021 at 10:28 PM, kerbiloid said:

Yes.

Not sure if you are joking, but the Amish rather prove my point. Plainness is a cultural virtue, but shoddy materials are not. Their clothing might look unadorned to you or I, but that does not mean it is not nice.

Despite their apparent plainness, they still enjoy fine things, like finely crafted furniture.

The technology thing is a bit of a thorny problem for the Amish to Mars scenario, but I think it is quite likely there are splinter religious groups in the world that would like to get off planet so they could do their thing undisturbed.

6 minutes ago, southernplain said:

Not sure if you are joking,

Both. Discipline, diligence, accuracy, habit of unification, habit of simplicity - are what the Martian colony requires.

9 minutes ago, southernplain said:

The technology thing is a bit of a thorny problem for the Amish to Mars scenario,

As simple as possible.

The "possible" may vary.

On Earth it's a plowland and a horse, on Mars it's a pressurized greenhouse.

33 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Both. Discipline, diligence, accuracy, habit of unification, habit of simplicity - are what the Martian colony requires.

As simple as possible.

The "possible" may vary.

On Earth it's a plowland and a horse, on Mars it's a pressurized greenhouse.

A greenhouse with Martian horses…

Scarab. A Martian rover must look like a scarab. It moves slowly and doesn't need wheels.

On the other hand, it can use a pair of solar panels on top and a pair of protective covers. Like wings. Maybe even as wings.

Also it could roll Martian stones. Rolling stones.

Retractable sensors like the scarab antennas.

Jaws to grab the ground for analysis.

Also its hemispherical shape is very good during the dust storms. Streamlined and holding no dust on top.

Edited by kerbiloid

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...