Shadow Flickering Problem

11 minutes ago, Anth12 said:

He doesnt edit his settings.cfg file and does no clean install.

Simply replace the settings with the ones I have shown. it will fix the problem

Simply replace settings that are years outdated and hopefully everything goes well? Thanks but no...

I am not buying he is not doing some edits here and there

I am not saying its wrong or anything but when you have such a complicated Career save you do have to do some custom handiwork to make it work a bit better.

Again not saying he is altering or cheating just some groundwork for a more optimized platform to work on.

Honestly the weird thing for me would be if he is actually not editing them.

Edited by Boyster

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2020 at 12:04 AM, Anth12 said:

Heres the fix to this problem:

In the settings.cfg file find these settings and make sure they all = 1.

SHADOWS_FLIGHT_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_KSC_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_TRACKING_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_EDITORS_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_MAIN_PROJECTION = 1
SHADOWS_DEFAULT_PROJECTION = 1

Works great on 1.11.0. No more flickering black lines!

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 6:04 AM, Anth12 said:

A couple years back we had a pinned thread with community fixes like these - wonder what became of it ...

What do this settings do specifically?

Edited by KerbMav

7 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

A couple years back we had a pinned thread with community fixes like these - wonder what became of it ...

Something with shadows?

For this thread's problem, though - Turn "celestial bodies generate self-shadows" off in settings. 

That usually does the trick.

Edit: I think this problem/bug still exists with the new patch but don't have enough time to know for sure :( .

Neither of these solutions worked for me in the previous patch, gonna try them again...

Take notice if you are using Scatterer mod this will fix it so it doesn't matter if you apply other ''solutions'' if you have that mod.

Edited by Boyster

8 hours ago, KerbMav said:

A setting of 1 tells Unity to use "Stable Fit" shadows ( the unity api bit is QualitySettings.shadowProjection) and a setting of 0 tell sit to use Close fit

From memory, so dont crufcify me if I get it wrong, Close fit usually means better defined shadows, but at large distances can cause jittering, crawling and weird shadow gaps. Stable fit means less of that usually. Each graphics card does tend to be a bit diffn too as it goes through Unity  at times it feels

2 hours ago, TriggerAu said:

A setting of 1 tells Unity to use "Stable Fit" shadows ( the unity api bit is QualitySettings.shadowProjection) and a setting of 0 tell sit to use Close fit

From memory, so dont crufcify me if I get it wrong, Close fit usually means better defined shadows, but at large distances can cause jittering, crawling and weird shadow gaps. Stable fit means less of that usually. Each graphics card does tend to be a bit diffn too as it goes through Unity  at times it feels

Reads like it also reduces load on the system?

18 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Reads like it also reduces load on the system?

From testing that one it really depends on the GPU re perf effects

10 hours ago, Boyster said:

Reads like use it at your own risk and experience unexpected results...

From memory it seemed more of a tradeoff, but Ive not personally messed with it recently

On 11/15/2020 at 7:04 AM, Anth12 said:

This eventually fixed it for me, i am disappointed to myself that i haven't tried it earlier, i was really hoping for an official fix with the new patch but this will do more than fine.

Thank you for finding the solution to an ever annoying problem and i apologize i didn't try to promote more that fix now that after so while we still have this bug.

I haven't seen any ''trade-offs'' yet, fps seem stable but its only couple hours i been using this setting.

Edited by Boyster

On 2/3/2021 at 12:00 AM, Boyster said:

This eventually fixed it for me, i am disappointed to myself that i haven't tried it earlier, i was really hoping for an official fix with the new patch but this will do more than fine.

Thank you for finding the solution to an ever annoying problem and i apologize i didn't try to promote more that fix now that after so while we still have this bug.

I haven't seen any ''trade-offs'' yet, fps seem stable but its only couple hours i been using this setting.

Yeah this seemed to work for me too. I saw a post similar to this on Steam, and I decided to finally do it. Works fine.

29 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

Yeah this seemed to work for me too. I saw a post similar to this on Steam, and I decided to finally do it. Works fine.

I was really hesitant to mess with shadow settings but i regret it, i played several hours with broken shadows and immersion breaking flickering that i wish i haven't.

1 hour ago, Boyster said:

I was really hesitant to mess with shadow settings but i regret it, i played several hours with broken shadows and immersion breaking flickering that i wish i haven't.

From what TriggerAu explained, it made sense. It seem like Squad might have changed those settings in a recent update, probably trying to experiment with things. Until there is a official fix for the issue, I am going to keep using the fix.

• 4 months later...

Next I would test it with only stock parts. no modded parts at all

Then if that doesn't work I would delete the settings.cfg file then start KSP forcing it to be made from scratch to its default values

3 hours ago, Anth12 said:

Then if that doesn't work I would delete the settings.cfg file then start KSP forcing it to be made from scratch to its default values

I'll try thanks 

4 hours ago, Anth12 said:

It's the same even with the stock parts

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.