BobCat Ind. - Colonization, exploring and research vehicle

BobCat

B9 parts is another one thats limping along on community fixes thanks to some dedicated guys, I have finally taken the plunge and removed all the home stuff and rovers to make way for the newer mods like the KSO hopefully we get a new pack soon lets hope it all comes together, version 0.24 the new home mods and a 64bit windows client but i guess pigs will fly too

First off, I understand your position, and I too miss the awesomeness that was the DEMV rovers in my game.

That said.... the reason Bobcat (and others like him) object to other people distributing "fixed" versions of their products is that far too many (idiot) users download the "fixed" version, then complain at the original author for support on it, moan, whine, demand proper fixes, request changes to this, that, the other, on work that has now been changed from what was originally released, sometimes in game-damaging ways, and often without even mentioning that it is a tweaked version that they downloaded.

Also, bear in mind that, specifically in the case of the DEMV rovers, they aren't fixed, as such (I'm guessing here, but I'd put money on it), since an actual fix would involve splitting the chassis up into a base and separate wheels, and recoding it to use the stock rover wheel system. If you want to know why it makes a difference, try driving a stock rover, and then a MK4 on Gilly and watch the difference. When that happened to me is when I removed them from my 0.23.0 folder and moved on. They feel too much like cheat parts now to me.

Getting the parts to load in-game is as simple as putting PART {} around the config files and downloading the updated cleverbobcat.dll. Making the work the way they should, the way Bobcat has stated he would want, the way his unfinished updated rover will, well that's a whole different job.

If people make the changes themselves (really guys, it is a couple of minutes in a text editor, total, less with practice), then then understand the issues, the lack of support, the things that will still not be "right". If they click on a link (especially one in the official thread), and unpack as normal, then they will all too often complain that the parts simply don't meet their quality expectations for Bobcat releases.... and the thread fills up with complaints about something that the OP didn't even do.

I hope that gives you a better understanding of why some mod-authors are resistant to derivative works.

Pardon my ignorance but if its such a simple fix then why doesn't bobcat make the fix and then re-relaese the mod. I would really love to use the HOME mod I have alot of reticence messing with the cod and any attempts I have made to fix home to make it work have failed. So I fully admit that my ignorance is the reason I can't get it to work but everyone keeps saying it is such an easy fix. It probably is but with my schedule and the limited time I have to play this game, if I want to fool around with mods they need to be easy to use and work when I want them to. So as much as I want the HOME mod I live without it because I just don't have the time to mess around with the coding no matter how easy it is fix.

No offense to Bobcat but it seems that consensus is that he has a reputation for taking an extremely long time to finish things and often leaves things unfinished and never gets back to them. Often teasing us and never following through. This is not a complaint simply an observation. I also understand that he does not work for us and that he does all of this out of the kindness of his heart. But with his reputation being what it is, do you expect a new version of HOME to be coming out any time soon? Based on the forums that seems unlikely. So back to my original question, if the fix to the current version of home is so easy to fix why doesn't he just fix it, repost it, and let people who want to use it, use it until the new version is ready for release? Please don't misconstrue what I am saying as ungrateful or demanding. The Soviet Pack and American Pack are triumphs and I understand the talent and care that go into all of Bobcats mods, it is a testament to how good the mods are that so many people are looking for an update for HOME. Not to belabor the point but if the fix is so easy why not just fix and repost. The only downside is, more people will be able to appreciate his work. I mean it is still a top download on the first page with that type of realestate in the add-on store you would think that having a functioning and updated mod would be desirable. Anyway sorry for the rant, probably going off topic, being greedy, being lazy, and being ignorant. I gotta cover all my bases on these forums. Seriously though great work on Soviet and American Bobcat, I just wish I had the knowledge and the time to appreciate HOME.

If you really want the HOME modules to work PM me and I will help you out with the configs, as I have a fully working version under 0.23 havent tested it under 23.5 thanks to fixes in this thread, you must have the latest version of the cleverbobcat DLL available form spaceport

Edited by Virtualgenius

• 2 weeks later...
Pardon my ignorance but if its such a simple fix then why doesn't bobcat make the fix and then re-relaese the mod. I would really love to use the HOME mod I have alot of reticence messing with the cod and any attempts I have made to fix home to make it work have failed. So I fully admit that my ignorance is the reason I can't get it to work but everyone keeps saying it is such an easy fix. It probably is but with my schedule and the limited time I have to play this game, if I want to fool around with mods they need to be easy to use and work when I want them to. So as much as I want the HOME mod I live without it because I just don't have the time to mess around with the coding no matter how easy it is fix.

Do yourself a favor and do what I did, forget about the bobcat mods and these threads. bobcat has shown a lot of awesome stuff that looks near release and just never released it. I've moved on and I'm done checking these threads for any news on updates that most likely will never happen.

Why Bobcat don't list active mods ? In first post of this thread, he could tell which mods are ready for actual KSP version.

It would save time for users.

How many time wasted by ppl looking for Ant kart update...?

If you really want the HOME modules to work PM me and I will help you out with the configs, as I have a fully working version under 0.23 havent tested it under 23.5 thanks to fixes in this thread, you must have the latest version of the cleverbobcat DLL available form spaceport

Why dont you post your configs for everyone to use, in this thread?

• 3 weeks later...

Here are working config files for the original H.O.M.E ( http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-18-1-h-o-m-e-start-kit/ ) you will need the latest cleverbobcat.dll available form spaceport.

For the lazy people

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/cleverbobcat-0-18/

CFG's

http://www./download/6w09s695j9vntb5/HOME_CFG.zip

The solar panels do work on the powerplant but you can only operate the reactor or the solar panels not both at the same time

I will re-iterate these are CFG files only not the content or modules if this is a breach of any kind please notify me and i will remove link

• 2 weeks later...
HOME will be back in the next few days. I literally have one thing to figure out before the re-release.

Take your time Dragon01. I have full confidence you will get it all figured out.

HOME will be back in the next few days. I literally have one thing to figure out before the re-release.

Really?! Will it all work? Or will it be like, "you need cleverbobcat and the powerplants, solar panels, inflatables, and command pods don't work but other then that everything works fine, stupid lazy people don't want just get figure stuff out for themselves gosh!!"

Really?! Will it all work? Or will it be like, "you need cleverbobcat and the powerplants, solar panels, inflatables, and command pods don't work but other then that everything works fine, stupid lazy people don't want just get figure stuff out for themselves gosh!!"

Knowing Dragon, it will all work. He isn't the sort of person who doesn't fix stuff up, at least when he's capable of fixing it.

No. There's one caveat: DEMVs are not implemented. :) There will be new content, too. Oh, and HOME Powerplant solar panel is fixed after all these years. You'll need sfr Command Pods plugin, but other than that, I don't think anything else will be needed. I might try to fix DEMVs later, but they'll require CleverBobCat and some features might be cut (though I'll try to fix Ant's panel if I do tackle it). Also, no ETA on neither the interplanetary pack nor Jool V.

Did you ask him if you could import his stuff to curse or at least consolidate them on a thread so they dont get lost once Spaceport is down. Obviously your not gonna fix all of them before the 30th but maybe atleast get them all to a place where people can download them no matter what state they are in. It would be a shame to lose them completely. Also a new thread with all of them listed could be good because maybe you can tell people the status of each one under each link, so everyone knows and there aren't a million posts on the dev threads about the altair landing legs in the American Pack.

No. There's one caveat: DEMVs are not implemented. :) There will be new content, too. Oh, and HOME Powerplant solar panel is fixed after all these years. You'll need sfr Command Pods plugin, but other than that, I don't think anything else will be needed. I might try to fix DEMVs later, but they'll require CleverBobCat and some features might be cut (though I'll try to fix Ant's panel if I do tackle it). Also, no ETA on neither the interplanetary pack nor Jool V.

Well, CleverBobCat is updated to 0.23, so it probably works in 0.23.5. As long as it gets reuploaded to CurseSpacePort, it'll be fine. I've never actually used the DEMVs, but I'd really like to. I have, however, used the HOME pack a whole lot.

Sorry to keep you waiting, but I'm implementing yet another feature. :) This time, it's a small, optional module to stop Kerbals from entering a habitat that is deflated. Will require Porkjet's habitat pack, but HOME should work without it, too. I need to test this, and the Tesla, then it's release time! :) Note, this will be a beta, meaning bugs reports (and solutions), will be welcome.

Also, does anyone still have the old HOME 2m module BlazingAngel once released? I looked like the DROP for the DEMV RAT. I dunno if I could salvage stuff that old, but I might try.

Edited by Guest

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.