BobCat Ind. - Colonization, exploring and research vehicle

BobCat

Not sure which thread is relevant... Maybe this one is more so than the development thread? So, cross posting.

Has anyone managed to get the MkIV Rat working? I've modified the cfg files to set the science requirements, but I'm still having issues:

1) How do I detach the Rat from it's cargo bay?

2) There's a weird gap that appears when the Lazer module is placed on the back of the Mk4.. The targeting lazer leaves me slightly worried that firing forward might lead to spontaneous catastrophic disassembly (see pic below). Is there a way to fix?

http://i.imgur.com/cMAwYOt.png

Same here, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Bobcat makes some amazing stuff but if you look through this thread and his YouTube you'll see some amazing rovers that look nearly complete like this one that never get released or mentioned again.

I've asked about one of these other WIP rovers and never got a response.

Anyone know if the rovers that BobCat posted screenshots of on this kethane page have been released? http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/23979-Kethane-Pack-0-8-4-Find-it-mine-it-burn-it!-Now-w-Toolbar-Critical-bug-fixed/page331

As far as I'm aware they're we're never released, this is exactly what I was talking about in my post above. I asked bobcat about them directly and never got an answer. I hope this newest rover doesn't turn into one of his projects that is never released!

As far as I'm aware they're we're never released, this is exactly what I was talking about in my post above. I asked bobcat about them directly and never got an answer. I hope this newest rover doesn't turn into one of his projects that is never released!

Damn. I guess there's just some things modders like to keep for themselves.

Damn. I guess there's just some things modders like to keep for themselves.

Bobcat only releases when it's done. This means that it might never get released if Bobcat thinks the work doesn't meet his quality standards, and if it does get released, it'll take some time. That is the sad (for us) truth.

Actually, I think it has to do with Asmi's ECLSS mod undergoing a massive overhaul. Since he depends on that, it's unlikely anything from BobCat will come out before ECLSS 2.0 does.

Nah. The life support in Bobcat's mods is far more recent than his frustration with the incessant begging that goes on on these forums.

Though, admittedly, the life support also makes me reluctant to use Bobcat cockpits since I don't really want to have to deal with life support. I like a more arcadey space game.

Nah. The life support in Bobcat's mods is far more recent than his frustration with the incessant begging that goes on on these forums.

Though, admittedly, the life support also makes me reluctant to use Bobcat cockpits since I don't really want to have to deal with life support. I like a more arcadey space game.

you know you can just remove the life support right?

I usually just remove the life support stuff from the cfg files its easy to do its only in the pods, the reason why people beg him for the release as they are using his older version and most of them are broken and looking for updates once you go Bobcat mods you never go back they are one of the best in the game the functionality and immersion is great

• 4 weeks later...

Well, BobCat responded to my inquiries. Turns out he's still working on the Soyuz, but he's "not in a hurry", and it might be some time before it's out. At least it's not ECLSS holding him up, but I'm guessing RL stuff has been doing that, or something. He's still working on it, though, but I'm afraid you can't expect it anytime soon.

Well, good news is, if you're not short on memory, Soviet Pack works fine. I've just tested a good part of it. Buran, Soyuz, ISS parts (and MIR, by extension, probably too) and Proton are all usable. Still didn't test the N1, but it should likewise be fully usable, and Kliper doesn't have any potentially problematic pieces either.

Well that's good to know that its still being worked on at least. Also mods tend to be MUCH better when the author is not in a hurry. It lets them make sure its ready and I like that about BobCat. Nothing worse when you see an awesome looking mod and it doesn't work because it was rushed.

How can i make home work? It freezes game upon loading.

nevermind, found solution in spaceport comment:

Right, so for everyone having an issue with the Power-plant not loading properly, I’m going to give a brief text tutorial. The above comments are only half right.

Go into your File location, I.E.

“C:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\BobCatind\Parts\H.O.M.E†Find the folder titled HOME_Powerplant and open it.

At the bottom is Part.cfg, browse programs to open it with and select notepad.

at the top, you’ll see

PART {

you’ll need to change that to

PART

{

THEN (and this is very important or it won’t work) you need to add a second bracket above Resource like follows

maxTemp = 3600

}

RESOURCE

It should then read like this.

PART

{

//  Bobcat Ind Dec. 28 2012 for KSP 0.18.2

name = HOME_modul_powerplant

module = Part

author = Bobcat, CrashnBurn

mesh = model.mu

rescaleFactor = 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.05, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.05, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2

node_attach = 1.25, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1

cost = 25800

category = Utility

subcategory = 0

title = HOME Powerplant module

manufacturer = Bobcat Industries. Industrial Power and Large Explosions Division.

description = Kerbals with nuclear power….what could go wrong?

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

mass = 8

dragModelType = default

maximum_drag = 0.2

minimum_drag = 0.2

angularDrag = 2

crashTolerance = 24

breakingForce = 630

breakingTorque = 630

maxTemp = 3600

}

RESOURCE

It will then load properly.

Edited by kiwiak

Just wondered if it would be ok to put a link in this thread to a working HOME and the DEMV

same could you pm it to me...

OPIONION ALERT!!:

IMHO if modders don't like to share their models/work then it's fine by me but it does seem odd... if one person hates people begging for updates why not asseble a team and spread it out evenly so it's not too stressful (and you could just push all the update pokes to that guy/s) and also it keeps the mod alive and i doubt anyone would want to destroy or reak havoc with the DEMV rovers. (ok maybe some trolls but cmon, anyone with mod making knowladge must have common sense to at least interview the guy who is going to take up the work)

i understand the reason why bobcat(nice name BTW) wanted to keep it to onesself i just think... if this gets too much :/ welllllll~~~ lets not think about that just now... maybe tomorrow around noonish yeah? XD

-----End of opionion-----

the reason i said that was cuz i just want to say it really and also that i hope that the ~DEMV rovers won't die :'( it's one of these mods i'd hate to lose for good... (same with B9)

also everytime i think of opionion i think OP onion

Edited by AntiMatter001

OPIONION ALERT!!:

IMHO if modders don't like to share their models/work then it's fine by me but it does seem odd... if one person hates people begging for updates why not asseble a team and spread it out evenly so it's not too stressful (and you could just push all the update pokes to that guy/s) and also it keeps the mod alive and i doubt anyone would want to destroy or reak havoc with the DEMV rovers. (ok maybe some trolls but cmon, anyone with mod making knowladge must have common sense to at least interview the guy who is going to take up the work)

i understand the reason why bobcat(nice name BTW) wanted to keep it to onesself i just think... if this gets too much :/ welllllll~~~ lets not think about that just now... maybe tomorrow around noonish yeah? XD

the reason i said that was cuz i just want to say it really and also that i hope that the ~DEMV rovers won't die :'( it's one of these mods i'd hate to lose for good... (same with B9)

First off, I understand your position, and I too miss the awesomeness that was the DEMV rovers in my game.

That said.... the reason Bobcat (and others like him) object to other people distributing "fixed" versions of their products is that far too many (idiot) users download the "fixed" version, then complain at the original author for support on it, moan, whine, demand proper fixes, request changes to this, that, the other, on work that has now been changed from what was originally released, sometimes in game-damaging ways, and often without even mentioning that it is a tweaked version that they downloaded.

Also, bear in mind that, specifically in the case of the DEMV rovers, they aren't fixed, as such (I'm guessing here, but I'd put money on it), since an actual fix would involve splitting the chassis up into a base and separate wheels, and recoding it to use the stock rover wheel system. If you want to know why it makes a difference, try driving a stock rover, and then a MK4 on Gilly and watch the difference. When that happened to me is when I removed them from my 0.23.0 folder and moved on. They feel too much like cheat parts now to me.

Getting the parts to load in-game is as simple as putting PART {} around the config files and downloading the updated cleverbobcat.dll. Making the work the way they should, the way Bobcat has stated he would want, the way his unfinished updated rover will, well that's a whole different job.

If people make the changes themselves (really guys, it is a couple of minutes in a text editor, total, less with practice), then then understand the issues, the lack of support, the things that will still not be "right". If they click on a link (especially one in the official thread), and unpack as normal, then they will all too often complain that the parts simply don't meet their quality expectations for Bobcat releases.... and the thread fills up with complaints about something that the OP didn't even do.

I hope that gives you a better understanding of why some mod-authors are resistant to derivative works.

OPIONION ALERT!!:

Look at the remote tech and MechJeb threads, their both "working/limping" on community hotfixes, people are complaining to the devs that they mods arent working instead of trouble shooting on their own with the hotfixes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.