BobCat Ind. - Colonization, exploring and research vehicle

BobCat

I have a small problem, well, two.

So, I downloaded and updated Nautilus and the HOME Powerplant, it worked good, then I downloaded and updated Jool V the same way I did with the powerplant and Nautilus. Then the Powerplant wouldn't load on the loading screen, even after I updated it. This never happened Prior to Jool V. Then I deleted the powerplant to actually get into KSP, and then, as soon as I got into the VAB, my entire HUD was missing.

Oh, and after installing and Updating Nautilus, the stock part textures messed up (not like I'd be using them with all these mods)

Make sure you have the resources folder as this is what tells the powerplant it has nuclear fuel

I think the wheels look good. I cant remember where this is from (book, movie, real life), but it was this concept of wheels with built in shock absorbers. Basically the wheel itself would be part of the active suspension. Instead of a solid outer layer it was made up of overlapping raised metal treads that were attached to the wheel with a spring. The concept was to provide traction and stability in low gravity environments. I know it defiantly had to do with space travel, hell maybe I dreamed this.

There are real designs like that, can't find an example through google but I read in some magazine years ago about designs using rubber/plastic lamella connecting to a rubber/plastic cylinder acting as a tire with track on it, allows for some suspension and doesn't require inflation.

THIS! ^

This would be an excellent design for an extraplanetary rover wheel! Just, not desert sand color, lol. You could make the center and the honeycomb matrix your trademark yellow, BobCat, and the 'tire' the traditional black. Or perhaps a medium gray, to match the H.O.M.E. color scheme, and to show that perhaps it's a different rubber compound for use in vacuum? I don't know, just spitballing. :)

THIS! ^

This would be an excellent design for an extraplanetary rover wheel! Just, not desert sand color, lol. You could make the center and the honeycomb matrix your trademark yellow, BobCat, and the 'tire' the traditional black. Or perhaps a medium gray, to match the H.O.M.E. color scheme, and to show that perhaps it's a different rubber compound for use in vacuum? I don't know, just spitballing. :)

I'd actually rather see larger metal/polymer wheels like the ones that are on the suite of Mars rover.

1280px-Curiosity_wheel_pattern_morse_code.png

For scale.

mars-rover-curiosity-new-wheels-100708-02.jpg?1292270865

Those are only suitable for travel at really low speeds where computers can constantly adjust all the articulating "legs" to evenly distribute the force, it has no "passive" suspension, it's not suitable for a car-shaped vehicle going at car speeds.

I really really like the visibility from the IVA and the functionality of the interior. You could explore from IVA in this rover and it looks really nice especially from the front. The see through windows are absolutely perfect! Like Pixar perfect well done.

YAY, HOAMGE TO TESLA (Edison is a scumbag, a ***** , a *****************, etc.)!

Not really, Edison was mainly a businessman and secondly an innovator to the likes of Steve Jobs and/or Bill Gates. Tesla was the inventor and innovator way ahead of his time, something like an odd mix of Wozniak and Musk bundled into one person and then some! The real A-Hole during Tesla and Edison's time was J.P. Morgan, read about him and what he did to both of them!

By the way Bobcat, really appreciate your great efforts since the early days of your very first mod. Keep up the superb work. I am a big fan. :)

Edited by THX-1138

YAY, HOAMGE TO TESLA (Edison is a scumbag, a ***** , a *****************, etc.)!

Um, no he was not. Edison was still a great inventor. In fact the story about Edison conning Tesla out of money is not verified and most likely utter bull****. And remember, While Edison may have been wrong regarding DC over AC (which turned out to work well for certain cases), Tesla didn't believe in the Theory of Relativity. Both people had their faults. Another example, Edison refused to ever make an invention that would be used for war, whereas Tesla at some times seemed almost obsessed with it. I like Tesla, I do, but to say yay for him, but screw Edison is wrong, short-sighted and moronic. And don't try to defend your view as most people on the internet do when caught in something they thought they knew about but actually don't, cause I will tear any argument apart.

Not really, Edison was mainly a businessman and secondly an innovator to the likes of Steve Jobs and/or Bill Gates. Tesla was the inventor and innovator way ahead of his time, something like an odd mix of Wozniak and Musk bundled into one person and then some! The real A-Hole during Tesla and Edison's time was J.P. Morgan, read about him and what he did to both of them!

By the way Bobcat, really appreciate your great efforts since the early days of your very first mod. Keep up the superb work. I am a big fan. :)

Actually, last time i checked Edison has the 4th most patents of anyone in the world while Tesla has 1/10th the number as Edison. Tesla honestly did very little inventing, and like Edison, was mainly an innovator who's most common work was simply improving the work of Faraday. Overall, while some of Tesla's inventions/innovations were amazing and leaps and bounds ahead of his time, for the most part, he is somewhat overrated, mainly because the Internet loves to blow **** out of proportion. Was he great, yes, was he some amazing super genius who was always right and we would have teleporters and free energy if Edison didn't hold him back, no.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.