zolotiyeruki

Kerbin Circumnavigation Challenge - updated for KSP 1.10

My newest iteration is now capable of sustained cruise speeds of 1740+ m/s. I'm starting to think I think that I am approaching the limits of engine technology in KSP, which means I'm gonna have to see how fast this thing can come in while still retaining control.

2 hours ago, Bob_Saget54 said:

My newest iteration is now capable of sustained cruise speeds of 1740+ m/s. I'm starting to think I think that I am approaching the limits of engine technology in KSP, which means I'm gonna have to see how fast this thing can come in while still retaining control.

Your takeoff and approach must be pretty intense already. My cruise speeds are hitting a sustained 1750 now but still, 39m flat has been my best test run so far. Getting down in my craft is...interesting. I've come up with a pretty effective "Crazy Ivan'" kind of maneuver that is pretty reliable but timing is everything. :)

Getting closer!

This is officially the fastest plane I've ever built since I started KSP (0.13)

j7z8yCU.png

And my unofficial time so far.....

p6wyLln.png

6 hours ago, Bob_Saget54 said:

I believe the maximum speed the RAPIERs will work at is 1753m/s.

52 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

I believe the maximum speed the RAPIERs will work at is 1753m/s.

With some testing on my planes about 1747 m/s @22500 metres ASL and they fart out. Seems they don't like running below 7.2 kN thrust (ie really fast).

Hmmm.  The one thing I"m taking away from this is that the fastest planes tend to be the smallest.  Based on my experience, I've gotten my plane up to 1715 m/sec with 8 Rapiers, at 23000

I think I'll try replacing the Big S wings with something a bit smaller; less drag should compensate for losing some engines

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Rules question. Is a parachute allowed to be used?

Yes

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Hmmm.  The one thing I"m taking away from this is that the fastest planes tend to be the smallest.  Based on my experience, I've gotten my plane up to 1715 m/sec with 8 Rapiers, at 23000

I think I'll try replacing the Big S wings with something a bit smaller; less drag should compensate for losing some engines

Last I heard, wings in KSP do not create parasitic drag unless they're in a stall, although they create some component of lift-induced drag, due to their mass.  This is something that makes the wet strakes awesome--they have the same lift-to-mass ratio as other wings, but they also carry fuel, so you get fuel capacity *and* lift without the parasitic drag or additional dry mass of a normal cylindrical fuel tank.

7 minutes ago, zolotiyeruki said:

Yes

Last I heard, wings in KSP do not create parasitic drag unless they're in a stall, although they create some component of lift-induced drag, due to their mass.  This is something that makes the wet strakes awesome--they have the same lift-to-mass ratio as other wings, but they also carry fuel, so you get fuel capacity *and* lift without the parasitic drag or additional dry mass of a normal cylindrical fuel tank.

The Big S wings are also wet

10 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The Big S wings are also wet

True, but the mass ratio of the fuel is less advantageous (300 units for a 500kg wing) than the strakes (100 units for a 100kg wing).  In an optimization challenge like this, that can make a difference :)