My pc broke I lost everything :(

Probro

All my crafts, space stations, bases everything has been lost. It started when I was on a discord call And I was talking about South Park I think? And suddenly my pc just switched off and wouldn’t turn back on my motherboard has been fried, my gpu has been taken along with it and I can’t believe how much I’ve lost. It’s not just ksp it’s my progress on every game, my college contacts, my friends, everything. I’ve relied on my pc for 7 years and now it’s gone forever and I don’t have enough money to repair it. I would say something about donating to my go fund me or whatever but people need it more than I do but it would be nice if I would be able to get my pc back, I wouldn’t care if it’s a epic gaming pc I just want a basic office pc to replace and archive my stuff and explain to everyone what happened, I don’t even how how to get into college without my contact details that I left in there ever since my phone was stolen 3 months ago and now my pc broke and I’m using my friends iPhone 5 to talk to you guys but that doesn’t matter anymore, this will be my final post, goodbye ksp, goodbye everyone

On 9/14/2020 at 8:52 PM, Probro said:

All my crafts, space stations, bases everything has been lost. It started when I was on a discord call And I was talking about South Park I think? And suddenly my pc just switched off and wouldn’t turn back on my motherboard has been fried, my gpu has been taken along with it and I can’t believe how much I’ve lost. It’s not just ksp it’s my progress on every game, my college contacts, my friends, everything. I’ve relied on my pc for 7 years and now it’s gone forever and I don’t have enough money to repair it. I would say something about donating to my go fund me or whatever but people need it more than I do but it would be nice if I would be able to get my pc back, I wouldn’t care if it’s a epic gaming pc I just want a basic office pc to replace and archive my stuff and explain to everyone what happened, I don’t even how how to get into college without my contact details that I left in there ever since my phone was stolen 3 months ago and now my pc broke and I’m using my friends iPhone 5 to talk to you guys but that doesn’t matter anymore, this will be my final post, goodbye ksp, goodbye everyone

Hello,

• All copies are in HardDisk so if computer is dead, due mother-board overheat (which is a very common problem in summer, specially in places without A/C to keep temp < 25º celcius) so all the data is still there.
  • If you have steam all save files (by default) are also stored there.
  • There is a very good software for that which is "Allway Sync" is free and do an intelligent delta copy of what you have with the backup in an external HD, directory defined by you, once a typically  hard disk (magnetic) can live in average maximum 10years, so soon or latter will also die anyway...

Edited by pmborg

Yeah just pull the hdd and plug it into another computer. Of course, make sure both computers are off while you're doing that.

Also take this opportunity to motivate yourself to set up offsite backups. Just uploading copies of important files to a cloud account is fine. Gmail them to yourself if you don't care about security. You could have an email in your Gmail account right now with a recent save if you'd done that.

Uhh, why not less melodrama and more pulling the HDD? It'd probably be more productive...

There are two kinds of computer users: those who back up their data, and those who have never had a hardware failure. Welcome to group one.

ive had laptops just up and stop working before, but i never lost data. ive had dead hard drives sit on my bench for years and suddenly start working long enough to recover. a dead power supply (even one on a laptop mobo) will usually be fused to contain any failures and will protect the rest of the hardware. your best bet is to break it down and see what still works. so unless you chucked it out a car window or into the ocean* or it caught on fire, there are probably things you can do. 

*ive actually recovered data from that one. buddy had his lappy on the roof of his skiff while we were unloading, and a rapid change in balance caused by handing off a heavy box catapulted it into the alaskan water. it wasnt too deep and we were able to wade in and retrieve it. a few hours later after stripping and cleaning the ssd i backed it up. 

should also point out that you shouldn't rely on luck. backing up is important. 

Edited by Nuke

On 9/15/2020 at 1:30 PM, Nuke said:

ive had laptops just up and stop working before, but i never lost data. ive had dead hard drives sit on my bench for years and suddenly start working long enough to recover. a dead power supply (even one on a laptop mobo) will usually be fused to contain any failures and will protect the rest of the hardware. your best bet is to break it down and see what still works. so unless you chucked it out a car window or into the ocean* or it caught on fire, there are probably things you can do. 

*ive actually recovered data from that one. buddy had his lappy on the roof of his skiff while we were unloading, and a rapid change in balance caused by handing off a heavy box catapulted it into the alaskan water. it wasnt too deep and we were able to wade in and retrieve it. a few hours later after stripping and cleaning the ssd i backed it up. 

should also point out that you shouldn't rely on luck. backing up is important. 

This, its not only hardware fail but also stuff like like getting hacked or simply user error, off site is best. Some systems let you have an mix or both. 

12 hours ago, magnemoe said:

This, its not only hardware fail but also stuff like like getting hacked or simply user error, off site is best. Some systems let you have an mix or both. 

when i did tech support, it was explained to me that most problems are software related. my experience tells a different tale, but that's probably because i know how to fix software problems. that and i do horrible things to hardware. the number of times i killed the usb ports on my computer using it for embedded dev is non zero. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.