[1.12.X+] ColdWarAerospace

L0ck0n

New version 0.5.2 - updated MiG-29 and F-16 cockpits.

O2a4VVy.pngkHGpRgr.png

On 12/31/2022 at 12:01 PM, NippyFlippers said:

The S-Duct does have problems. For some reason it does not supply engines with intake air, no matter what I try.  Anybody else?

ill look into it in next update.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 8:11 PM, Wolfosito said:

Hey, I was playing around in blender and modelled a MiG-23 Cockpit using the Size 1 Mk3 shape you use in your mod
Though you might be interested in taking a look at it
mig.png
Left to do is texturing and the actual getting it into the game which is all beyond my knowledge, so here it is if you want it
Would love helping with the mod

wow thats actually amazing, would love to see it finished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2023 at 8:29 AM, L0ck0n said:

Ok, its fixed now - new version 0.5.3 :)

Hey, first post here. Excellent work with your parts!!! As to the S duct intake, unless i'm missing something, it seems to still have an issue. If installed in the correct (forward facing direction) the status shows nominal, and the intake will flow the base number of units at the minimum airspeed, however as the speed of the craft increases, the intake air speed never changes. If you install the intake on a craft and then rotate it 180 degrees in the y axis so that the open (front) end faces the rear of the craft, it performs the way one would expect if it were installed normally, ie. status = nominal + intake airspeed increases with craft speed. I'm not sure if it's possible to change the orientation of the intake transform in the cfg, but if it is I don't know how lol. In full disclosure, I'm using this part on an F-16, and the "intake" on the cockpit functions correctly so it's not really an issue for me lol, but if one wanted to use it without the F-16 cockpit it would be an issue. It's possible to make it work by increasing the intake area to... large numbers, but that just feels, idk dirty lol Thanks for making this stuff! 

Hate to be a bother, but after thinking about my last post, I just wanted to clarify the following: forgive me if you all are already ahead here, but it seems that by correctly registering the intake airspeed relative to the actual craft speed, the intake is able to appropriately scale the intakeatm delivery with mach number/mach curve. In it's current configuration, as of V0.6 from space dock - 3/14/23, the intake atm delivered by the S-duct, when installed "normally" only scales with the static atmospheric pressure (altitude). It's as if it's open to the air, but not getting flow. That's what I was getting at with suggesting rotating the intaketransform=intake1 by 180 degrees somehow, but idk if that's possible, or what that would entail. Currently I only  know how to edit parts through cfg files. Just thought this might help diagnose... and also this should make 2/5 posts I need to fully use my account ;).  Thanks again! will post some pics of builds once I'm allowed. The black hawk parts forced me to seriously build a helicopter after 6 years of KSP lol! 

Edited by KlunkWorks
clarification

On 3/15/2023 at 1:43 PM, KlunkWorks said:

I'm not sure if it's possible to change the orientation of the intake transform in the cfg, but if it is I don't know how lol.

Intake orientation is set inside the .mu model file when it is built in the 3d modeling program. If it has been put in backwards then it would need to be corrected in there and saved as a new model file. Only if the model has been given an animation that allows it to rotate, can the cfg file do anything about orientation.

8 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Intake orientation is set inside the .mu model file when it is built in the 3d modeling program. If it has been put in backwards then it would need to be corrected in there and saved as a new model file. Only if the model has been given an animation that allows it to rotate, can the cfg file do anything about orientation.

Thanks for explaining! That's kinda what I suspected. I recently learned about the .mu extension for Blender and downloaded both,  but I also recently spent the better part of 2 days getting proficient with GIMP for texture edits, so I'm not in a hurry to crash course modeling at the moment :confused: lol. One day... Also your 1.25mDoor was the perfect part for the hatch/airlock on my flying saucer lol.

• 1 month later...

Hello, module author, this module is very nice.But there are some bugs in this module.The Pegasus engine of this module cannot follow the rotation axis of Breaking Ground Expansion DLC.I hope you can solve these problems or provide vertical takeoff and landing mode for the engine.thank you.

Edited by Starhawk
Message reverted to English version by moderator

10 hours ago, XJ9 Jenny said:

Hello, module author, this module is very nice.But there are some bugs in this module.The Pegasus engine of this module cannot follow the rotation axis of Breaking Ground Expansion DLC.I hope you can solve these problems or provide vertical takeoff and landing mode for the engine.thank you.

Hello there. Knowing the way that Breaking Ground servos work, any part attached to the outside of one should rotate. It may be that you have accidentally attached the engine to something around or behind the servo, rather than the servo itself. All rotation is handled by the DLC, parts packs have no bearing on what happens. If you are unsure, then maybe you could put a picture or 2 of your creation here so that we can see what might of happened.

8 hours ago, ColdJ said:

嗨,你好。了解 Breaking Ground 伺服器的工作方式后,连接到舵机外部的任何部件都应旋转。可能是您不小心将发动机连接到舵机周围或后面的东西上,而不是舵机本身。所有旋转都由DLC处理,零件包与发生的情况无关。如果您不确定,那么也许您可以在此处放置您的创作的一两张图片,以便我们可以看到可能发生的事情。

https://postimg.cc/N9bVPSQy

https://postimg.cc/5QJPbMm9

Hi, I got your reply, although you said that all rotations are handled by DLC, parts packs have nothing to do with what happens. But, I'm sorry, I think it's better to send you two gif image links, I hope this link is useful, the game language is Chinese, but I don't think it will affect much. Hope you can watch the gif and can solve my problem, thank you.

2 hours ago, XJ9 Jenny said:

Hi, I got your reply, although you said that all rotations are handled by DLC, parts packs have nothing to do with what happens. But, I'm sorry, I think it's better to send you two gif image links, I hope this link is useful, the game language is Chinese, but I don't think it will affect much. Hope you can watch the gif and can solve my problem, thank you.

Hi. I could see that they were working in the hangar. The image was too hard to see when you were airborne to see if they rotated. I assume you had set a limited range of motion for the servos and assigned a key to toggle them from one position to another. Also that you hadn't attached them using the mirror mode, as this would cause the opposite sides to move in opposite directions. eg the left swings towards the back while the right swings towards the front. Each servo needs to be attached separately and adjusted in the pop up individually. Be aware that if you don't get the thrust balance between the front and rear engines correct that you will tip the nose up quite hard as you seemed to do in the gif. This is because the rear tail planes are causing drag as you go up. So you need the front engines to be set at a lower thrust than the rear so the drag and front dip balance the craft when rising or lowering.

I will give you a link to my Harrier mod on Spacedock, it has a prebuilt model included that you can look at to get an idea of how to balance. Also I made engines that have the servo built in, so they are just one part. You still need Breaking Ground for them to be able to turn but it means less parts needed to get what you are trying to build.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2863/Harrier Jump Jet Parts Pack

Hope this helps.

On 1/11/2023 at 5:11 PM, Wolfosito said:

Hey, I was playing around in blender and modelled a MiG-23 Cockpit using the Size 1 Mk3 shape you use in your mod
Though you might be interested in taking a look at it
mig.png
Left to do is texturing and the actual getting it into the game which is all beyond my knowledge, so here it is if you want it
Would love helping with the mod

I'd love if someone here put textures up, I'm too bad at texturing to make it look decent. Excited when this gets into the mod.

9 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Hi. I could see that they were working in the hangar. The image was too hard to see when you were airborne to see if they rotated. I assume you had set a limited range of motion for the servos and assigned a key to toggle them from one position to another. Also that you hadn't attached them using the mirror mode, as this would cause the opposite sides to move in opposite directions. eg the left swings towards the back while the right swings towards the front. Each servo needs to be attached separately and adjusted in the pop up individually. Be aware that if you don't get the thrust balance between the front and rear engines correct that you will tip the nose up quite hard as you seemed to do in the gif. This is because the rear tail planes are causing drag as you go up. So you need the front engines to be set at a lower thrust than the rear so the drag and front dip balance the craft when rising or lowering.

I will give you a link to my Harrier mod on Spacedock, it has a prebuilt model included that you can look at to get an idea of how to balance. Also I made engines that have the servo built in, so they are just one part. You still need Breaking Ground for them to be able to turn but it means less parts needed to get what you are trying to build.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2863/Harrier Jump Jet Parts Pack

Hope this helps.

Oh sorry I didn't say it all, I was going to show the problem after takeoff but forgot about the thrust balance so I didn't work on the shaft until the plane was fully landed so you see the second gif Finally, thank you, and thank you for providing me with another mod.