• Rockets
    • How-tos
    • Bases and stations
    • exploits or unusual missions
  3. 3. How long should a video be?

• 10-20 minutes
    • 1-10 minutes
    • 20< minutes

I recently hit 55 subs (I know biggest channel ever,) But I have been getting a more than usual amount recently, I wonder if it's anything to do with what I make. So I was curious, what do you wanna see in a YouTube video?

Right know there is four things I think I need to work on

1. Uniqueness

I feel like I want to make my channel unique, not videos you would find on Matt Lowne or Stratzenblitz. I also want to try to make each of my videos unique. Of course that's hard to do on a consistent scale so I think you would sacrifice consistently for uniqueness. I feel like it's important to be unique or else no one will wanna watch you

2. Quality

This one is a little hard to do but I think my videos need better quality with them. Do you agree on this?

Of course I am looking for feedback so here is a good set of videos to judge my channel and give feedback

Spoiler

My favorite videos (2):

My popular videos (2):

My less popular videos (1)

A regular upload schedule. That pleases the algorithm. Also...you gotta crank videos out. From what I have read and seen, that's key-lots of high quality videos. Gotta keep 'em snappy and interesting.  Find a niche, and upload o that group with that group on your mind.

Oh, and luck. Lots of it. 

Edited by Lewie

I've been posting videos on YouTube since 2012. I have a thousand videos, ranging through dozens of games, with some of my series having hundreds of episodes each.

So if you ever figure out what makes a good YouTube channel let me know. I must be ready for one by now.

Edited by Superfluous J

Don't spend 30 minutes buttering up your audience first -- show 'em what you got.  Fancy intros and outres should be skipped or minimized.  People aren't going to watch them twice anyway.

Beyond that, have interesting content.  It's as easy (or hard) as that.

Edited by Corona688

3 hours ago, Corona688 said:

Don't spend 30 minutes buttering up your audience first -- show 'em what you got.  Fancy intros and outres should be skipped or minimized.

+2 for these.

Back when I had intros, my rules was the viewer had to hear my voice - from the current video - in under 7 seconds. Now my "intro" is a title page and it's on the screen for 2 seconds, fades for 2 seconds into video, and after those initial 4 seconds my voice starts.

And I never start with a ramble. Well, I won't say NEVER but I try really hard. For example, in KSP videos I frequently don't describe the big idea of what the video's about until the first launch.

Also...

On 10/16/2020 at 5:38 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

(first post)

On 10/16/2020 at 7:32 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

ah well, what do I expect. Not much of you guys here do youtube :P

2 hours is not a lot of time in the real world, especially on a Friday night. Gotta give people time to actually see the post. :D

I'm going to generalize from youtube to video in general.

1. presentation.  how are you presenting? dry prof? excited frat-bro? something in between? the presenter/narrator is as much of a character as anything else.

2. scripting. how tight and flowing is the script? a good presentation can save a bad script. but a good script makes everything easier.

3. story. yes this is part of scripting but does need to be mentioned separately. even if it is non-fiction you have to weave a story to keep people coming back.

As for what would be interesting? dunno, what do you find cool and exciting?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like I would not be a youtuber with my 220 subs made in last 4 month, but I definitely have some tips. And I am totally not doing KSP content, I am doing Path of Exile, so it is gaming.

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCssdrokzKxDfUVxkPOK-4WA

Maybe one day I would do KSP xD

1. Youtube do not care. Youtube started to "push" one of my new videos (250+ browse feature views a day), when I already had around 15 "passable" videos with 50K total views. And they came from YouTube search, Google Search, Reddit, Another Reddit and mainly from official forums (40%).

2. The key to rapid growth actually doing something specific to cater to people desires to blow up on social media platforms. So for the most part it is social media game outside Youtube, witch is not totally pretty sometimes.

3. Learn to video edit like a pro. PRO. This is somewhat transferrable skill into outside world. And people generally really like good stuff. Helps quite a bit. Nobody cares about 30m powerpoint presentations, only 2-5% watch that. While snappy well edited 10 min video is watched until end by 30-40%.

4. if you present something. Do not talk about downsides until end.  Best way to lose chunk of viewers on spot (20-30%).

5. You can encounter strange people on your way. (I had a person DMing me and saying that he would downvote every single post made by me ever... and bunch of other things).

Also I highly recommend Davicnhi Resolve for video editing! It is godlike free software!

Edited by Yakez

Well i started youtube a few months back and its been really interesting, learning about algorithm, improving my video editing, etc... my take aways:

1) Experiment and try new things - dont decide on what your 'thing' is at the start, have an eare of interest and explore it...

2) Get your vice out, let them hear you as quickly as possible, in my original episodes I had a wonderful intro but I realised that although I might be proud of the work i put into it, why should i expect an audience to spend 10 seconds each video seeing it .... they clicked on the video they know what it is...

3)develop your community and feedback, their is nothing better than getting feedback and opinion, embrace it, use comments.

Things i still need to do......  Develop my craft (ie making videos better and ideally getting some Collab's going... 

Just remember, dont get put off, keep going... if only one person enjoys it thats still great,  you created something !! some videos might fall flat and others might blow up...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.