THE KERBAL SPACE PPROGRAM 2 Challenge!

Dr. Kerbal

This post cam way before KSP2. But. So we can prepare a challenge at first day KSP2 releases. This challenge will be to land on every planet and moon in KSP2. That means you have to visit every celestial body in one mission. This means you will need a ship capable of going to every celestial body in one mission.

Rules:

1. You can use multiple ships attached to a mothership.
  2.  You can refuel.
  3. All of the ships or ship has to made at once. No multiple launches from the KERBOL SYSTEM.
  4.  You have to place a flag on each planet or moon. (Expect Gas Giants)
  5.  No mods. Try to do stock KSP2.
  6.  Pictures, craft downloads, videos, and etc. (Evidence)
  7.  No cheats. 
  8.  Science is allowed.
  9. Rovers are allowed to maximize science.
  10. Interactions with ships in Interstellar space is allowed.
  11. Interactions with colonies and other things outside of KERBOL SYSTEM is allowed.

Contestents:

1. Everyone is allowed to play and take part.

In case of Cheating

If someone think someone is cheating evidence from both sides to support their claim will be needed. Whoever provides the most convincing evidence will decided the fate of the challenge run.

No Spam. Thank you and please enjoy this challenge.

-Dr. Kerbal

Edited by Dr. Kerbal

2 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

This means you will need a ship capable of going to every celestial body in one mission.

I hope new complexity, number of planets/systems, and added realism makes this impossible without major colonization/infrastructure projects.

You can refuel.

They may be changing ISRU systems to be more realistic. Hopefully it's not as easy as: "LOL, I haz landed. Now I stick down a straw and I haz gas!"

All of the ships or ship has to made at once. No multiple launches.

This is not likely to be possible given the size and mass of interstellar drives. No in-atmosphere lifter would be capable of lifting even an empty interstellar engine, let alone the fuel. It would have to be constructed from parts/materials in zero-g or near-zero-g asteroid setting.

Not trying to nitpick, but I really think new mechanics will make this challenge DOA/Impossible.

we don't know anything about interstellar transportation yet, it will be a whole new way how to fly in ksp. Besides the devs and some hard core science peeps (pulls up glasses and chuckles,) no one has experience or the knowledge of how much it takes to fly interstellar in KSP.  In fact, until we get a copy of this there really isn't much we can do to prepare.

5 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

No Spam. Thank you and please enjoy this challenge. Dr. Kerbal

I think you're at least a year and a half too early to seriously hope that anyone will ever use this topic for its apparent intended purpose, but I think that @TLTay has a point and discussing the feasibility of such a challenge and if we even want for such a challenge to be feasible is a good exercise to understand what we expect and want from this game.

IMOH I think that if this challenge lacks a crucial detail that, used as we are to KSP1, we give for granted: is this all-in-one ship supposed to be launched from Kerbin?

If the answer is yes then I hope that such a challenge will be impossible in KSP2, it would just mean that the game is broken.

On the other hand if the challenge just has to start from a from anywhere in the Kerbol system I'd say that, probably stretching the end-game tech and the game engine capabilities, it should be possible to build an interstellar ship so massive that it can bring its own refueling rigs and enough Landers to cover 3 or 4 solar system of exploration (exploiting the immortality of Kerbals to optimise ∆V).

Edited by Master39
Exploiting, not exploring

It would break interstellar travel. some people don't realize yet that interstellar travel takes a loooong time to do, you are basically firing engines half the trip and firing engines to brake at destination for the other half. I don't think people realize how hard interstellar travel is, I could see a brad whistance happening but I hope not because like what @Master39 said, it would ruin the game's idea of traveling to mysterious destinations

10 hours ago, sir rocket said:

It might be possible to do this: launch a vessel to the mun. Then you use the vessel to build a colony. Once it can build ships, you do the same thing at minnimus

I would see that as the only grand tour mission possible, colony to colony. Maybe a possible speedrun?

18 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

All of the ships or ship has to made at once. No multiple launches.

Not possible. Interstellar ship won't fit in the VAB. We already knew, that constructing an interstellar ship would require some sort of complex orbital structure, that needs to be fed resources into, in order to construct crafts. Constructing and launching an interstellar ship in that "orbital VAB" already counts as 1 launch, which leaves us with 0 launches for constructing and supplying the structure itself, consequently making the challenge impossible, unless you start the game with the structure already complete and full of resources.

Preparing a challenge for the game, without knowing how it actually works, is always a bad idea. 

Edited by Acid_Burn9

On 11/15/2020 at 9:59 PM, Acid_Burn9 said:

Constructing and launching an interstellar ship in that "orbital VAB" already counts as 1 launch, which leaves us with 0 launches for constructing and supplying the structure itself, consequently making the challenge impossible, unless you start the game with the structure already complete and full of resources.

Honestly I would consider launching from an orbital shipyard as "one launch", completely ignoring the missions required for the shipyard construction and resupply.

If I were to write such a challenge I would write something like:

"the ship must leave the SOI of the planet is departing from in one piece, with no subsequent docking with pre-existing infrastructure"

To enable the possibility of orbital construction while keeping the "monolithic ship" idea and to avoid strange orbits around the sun giving an unfair advantage. 

Edited by Master39

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2020 at 11:25 PM, Master39 said:

I think you're at least a year and a half too early to seriously hope that anyone will ever use this topic for its apparent intended purpose, but I think that @TLTay has a point and discussing the feasibility of such a challenge and if we even want for such a challenge to be feasible is a good exercise to understand what we expect and want from this game.

IMOH I think that if this challenge lacks a crucial detail that, used as we are to KSP1, we give for granted: is this all-in-one ship supposed to be launched from Kerbin?

If the answer is yes then I hope that such a challenge will be impossible in KSP2, it would just mean that the game is broken.

On the other hand if the challenge just has to start from a from anywhere in the Kerbol system I'd say that, probably stretching the end-game tech and the game engine capabilities, it should be possible to build an interstellar ship so massive that it can bring its own refueling rigs and enough Landers to cover 3 or 4 solar system of exploration (exploiting the immortality of Kerbals to optimise ∆V).

Well. Orbital launch stations are expected to be a thing right??? I meant no multiple launched from The Kerbal System. Anything outside allowed. Like colonies and etc.

I changed the rules for more easing

Edited by Dr. Kerbal

On 11/14/2020 at 10:46 PM, Dr. Kerbal said:

This post cam way before KSP2. But. So we can prepare a challenge at first day KSP2 releases. This challenge will be to land on every planet and moon in KSP2. That means you have to visit every celestial body in one mission. This means you will need a ship capable of going to every celestial body in one mission.

Rules:

2.  You can refuel.
  3. All of the ships or ship has to made at once. No multiple launches from the KERBOL SYSTEM.
  7.  No cheats. 
  8.  Science is allowed.
  11. Interactions with colonies and other things outside of KERBOL SYSTEM is allowed.

Contestents:

In case of Cheating

If someone think someone is cheating evidence from both sides to support their claim will be needed. Whoever provides the most convincing evidence will decided the fate of the challenge run.

-Dr. Kerbal

Does having a ship that undocks from a mothership, lands, goes back to orbit, and reconvenes with that mothership count? 

8 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

Does having a ship that undocks from a mothership, lands, goes back to orbit, and reconvenes with that mothership count? 

Yes it does count and is allowed.

On 11/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, Acid_Burn9 said:

Not possible. Interstellar ship won't fit in the VAB. We already knew, that constructing an interstellar ship would require some sort of complex orbital structure, that needs to be fed resources into, in order to construct crafts. Constructing and launching an interstellar ship in that "orbital VAB" already counts as 1 launch, which leaves us with 0 launches for constructing and supplying the structure itself, consequently making the challenge impossible, unless you start the game with the structure already complete and full of resources.

Preparing a challenge for the game, without knowing how it actually works, is always a bad idea. 

Your right. Maybe I should just wait..

• 2 weeks later...

Rules:

2.  You can refuel.
  7.  No cheats. 
  8.  Science is allowed.

Contestents:

In case of Cheating

-Dr. Kerbal

Noice challenge except for one itty bitty thing... KSP2 does NOT exist YET!Wow so much BIG FONT! Me like!

In case of Cheating

Innocence until proven guilty...

Hence!

Da uNiTEd STaTEs oF aMERiCa jUStiCE sYSTeM!

On 11/15/2020 at 3:59 PM, Acid_Burn9 said:

Especially when it isn't even HALFWAY to completion.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks like a ordinary KSP challenge than a KSP2 one, which must relies on infrastructure in space. Seriously, you can do that right now in KSP, with Interstellar Extended if you want some capable propulsion systems that are offered by KSP2.

On 11/29/2020 at 12:36 AM, mcwaffles2003 said:

Nope! Anything that is attached or was attached to a mother ship doesn’t count. Take Matt Lonwes recent Jool 5 mission. All of the undocking from the mother ship doesn’t create new ships.