Mobile KSP is kinda a thing now.

Steam remote play exists, how it works is actually quite simple, you use a PC(preferably a good one, but any that can actually run ksp will work)

Then, you log into steam on the mobile device, and you can connect to the PC actually running the game(Needs internet, duh)

Hit connect

And the game will appear on the new device, controls will transfer over, and both devices can provide imputs.

I belive that maybe, touch controls for the steam version should be added, to make it playable, also, if you have 2 computers, it means wierd multiplayer can exist now, such as one guy steering the ship, another doing science experiments.

Unless you have a massive tablet you won't be able to fit all the necessary information- navball, altimeter, staging, the info bar, the controls themselves and of course the little Kerbal portraits- on the screen, whilst still actually being able to see your rocket and where you're going, and if you do have a massive tablet then it's one step below a small laptop and you'd be better off connecting a keyboard and possibly a mouse (or a keyboard with a trackpad-type device), by which point you're just remote connecting from one computer to another.

Now think what happens when you get a bit of an internet hiccup at exactly the wrong moment and your huge, expensive Duna mission that you spent ages working on crashes, burns up or misses its capture burn entirely.

How are you meant to control a vessel's movement and rotation in three axes with two thumbs? It's tricky enough to do with a proper keyboard, a console controller can more or less manage it but a touchscreen? The work required to design a whole new UI and control system just for a very niche application like this isn't worth the effort; I'd much rather see the development focus on enhancing and expanding the new EVA construction system, maybe by building parts in situ using ore, continued part revamps or something completely new and unexpected.

29 minutes ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Now think what happens when you get a bit of an internet hiccup at exactly the wrong moment and your huge, expensive Duna mission that you spent ages working on crashes, burns up or misses its capture burn entirely.

Exactly. And multiplayer means chat, which means moderation, and if no moderation then that means trolling (even with moderation still there will be trolling) and that's a whole 'nother ballgame 

1 hour ago, kspnerd122 said:

Well, still, makes it more mobile

Because bad laptops can play it

If they have a symmetrical gigabit pipe plugged into them at all times, otherwise the experience of playing remotely is very hit or miss.

I use parsec for getting into my workstation while I'm at work if I need some files, and even though it's barely 5 miles away from me and my home has symmetrical gigabit it's still dropping frames, hiccuping and generally performing poorly on even civilization type games.

Because the connection at work is like 20mb/s and unless both ends are up to snuff that's what you get.

However it has been very nice for throwing compile jobs on my WS, that laptop takes 5 minutes to compile a program that my workstation can do in seconds. 

So I'm not dissing the concept, but i rather wanted people to understand it isn't magic.

Each time I see mobile KSP, I sigh.

I just still don't understand why? What's the advantage? What's the point? Theoretically yes you can play on mobile, but is it really a good idea?

On 2/16/2021 at 1:35 PM, Incarnation of Chaos said:

If they have a symmetrical gigabit pipe plugged into them at all times, otherwise the experience of playing remotely is very hit or miss.

That is an understatement. Steam's remote play is COMPLETELY USELESS over the Internet, full stop. The only time I have ever got it to work is when I am literally on the exact same LAN/WAN network as the device I am attempting to stream from.

srysly, I played remote from across the street, also, if disconnect occurs, it just pause game

No losing ur missions to disconnects

also, Im just saying, its a thing now

and also, stop flaming me, Im just stating a fact, not saying something should be done.

11 hours ago, MechBFP said:

That is an understatement. Steam's remote play is COMPLETELY USELESS over the Internet, full stop. The only time I have ever got it to work is when I am literally on the exact same LAN/WAN network as the device I am attempting to stream from.

If you noticed; i even mentioned i used Parsec for remote access....

It's a third-party tool that was apparently optimized with remote "Coop" sessions in mind. So yeah, Steam Remote is so absolutely garbage that i have to use a completely different service to just shovel code between computers xD

9 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Still need a computer running KSP - all you're doing is making your phone the keyboard. To say this is sorta KSP mobile would be a stretch.

It's such a shame that even though i mentioned this in passing, it took this long down the comment chain for someone to say this lel

10 hours ago, kspnerd122 said:

srysly, I played remote from across the street, also, if disconnect occurs, it just pause game

No losing ur missions to disconnects

also, Im just saying, its a thing now

and also, stop flaming me, Im just stating a fact, not saying something should be done.

Brah, this isn't flaming. At least of you personally, now STEAM is a different story. They have more money than humanly imaginable but can't get remote play or even flipping voice chat to work reliably lel

Oh well, they at least manage being a gigantic CDN for games alright.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 10:00 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Unless you have a massive tablet you won't be able to fit all the necessary information- navball, altimeter, staging, the info bar, the controls themselves and of course the little Kerbal portraits- on the screen, whilst still actually being able to see your rocket and where you're going, and if you do have a massive tablet then it's one step below a small laptop and you'd be better off connecting a keyboard and possibly a mouse (or a keyboard with a trackpad-type device), by which point you're just remote connecting from one computer to another.

How are you meant to control a vessel's movement and rotation in three axes with two thumbs? It's tricky enough to do with a proper keyboard, a console controller can more or less manage it but a touchscreen? The work required to design a whole new UI and control system just for a very niche application like this isn't worth the effort; I'd much rather see the development focus on enhancing and expanding the new EVA construction system, maybe by building parts in situ using ore, continued part revamps or something completely new and unexpected.

Running KSP on my 10 year old phone might not be a good idea...

4 hours ago, Lewie said:

Once again, mobile ksp (which will never happen) would just be ksp Enhanced Edition all over again. Wait, I take that back...it’d wind up even worse then EE did. 

100% agree, there is no logical sense. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.