Peridoot's smol plane challange!

4 hours ago, vyznev said:

Stick a reaction wheel on there and it'll go sideways too just fine. :)

Or swap the OKTO2 for a HECS to keep the part count at 4. I tried it, it works. It's just a fair bit bigger, weighing in at 138 kg rather than 83... There are a few other variants optimised for different aspects of the challenge, for example if you want to optimise for price, use prop blades 1 and a Stayputnik and it's yours for only 511 credits. 

I don't think it's possible to bring the part count below 4 in a copter design. I did however manage to make a 3-part rocket plane than I can consistently land on water in one piece. That one goes up, down, /and/ sideways. No exploits, only some rather unconventional aerodynamics. I won't post it yet just in case somebody else wants to guess what I did. The vital statistics for that one are 10,640 credits, 3 parts, 1.225 tons, 2.4 * 3.9 * 1.4 m.

Edit: and another one, 3 parts, 343 kg, 1325 credits, 1.1 x 3.6 x 0.7 m.... Looks like the 3-part challenge isn't so hard after all, there are lots of possibilities there. Is there way to do this with 2 parts?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, vyznev said:

Stick a reaction wheel on there and it'll go sideways too just fine. :)

Replace the reaction wheel + probe by an OCTO for a 1-part RW+core solution, and a bit more clipping... and you got a cheaper, smaller, 1 part less option.

I'm pretty sure that if you're a good enough pilot, a 2-part solution is possible. Use a Mk2 cockpit and a Shrimp or a Flea. I haven't quite managed to land it (on water) without losing the SRB, but with enough finesse I'm convinced it can be done. If somebody else wants to give it a shot, go for it.

Edited by Guest

46 minutes ago, DRAG0Nmon said:

but then its not an aircraft, its just a very strange rocket...

All right, I figured out how to consistently land the two-part plane in one piece. Flight time is about one minute. 

It fits the specifications of the challenge:

• must have some form of part that can generate lift (like a evelon)

Check, the Mk2 cockpit.

• can be manned or unmanned

Non-requirement.

• must be able to land in any way (water, runway, parachutes, etc.)

Check.

• you can use part clipping (my smallest plane uses part clipping anyway)

Non-requirement.

• !!!!MUST FLY FOR AT LEAST  30 sec!!!!

Check, flight time is about one minute.

• no flag lift exploit.

No flags or exploits of any kind involved.

Edited by Guest

i do want to say. you listed the flight time rule as a non requirement. its in all caps and has exclimation marks on both sides to tell you that this is REQUIRED or else your submission gets disqualfied.

6 hours ago, peridoot said:

i do want to say. you listed the flight time rule as a non requirement. its in all caps and has exclimation marks on both sides to tell you that this is REQUIRED or else your submission gets disqualfied.

My comments are below the line. The craft does meet the flight time requirement as it flies over a minute. The non-requirements are “may use clipping” and “manned or unmanned.” Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

It’s not an official submission to the challenge in any case (that would be the 4-part tiny chopper). I just made it to see if I could.

OOOOOOH I JUST MADE ONE!

It has 30 parts and is VTOL, and make sure to download and try it out!

download here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17ugFIOvXlQWVnHYstI3zXVy9RovzzDd-/view?usp=sharing

I'm going to post a video of it on my Youtube channel on april 25, so stay tuned! (My channel is  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz1xNKiXzLdS7c2RZPxm-fg)

Edited by Max von Kerman

2 hours ago, chadgaskerman said:

DLXDyEw.png

This is something I bashed out in the past 10 minutes. Can survive falls from over 100m and can go up to roughly 70m/s

https://kerbalx.com/chadgaskerman/Spinning-Top

you MUST provide a video or screenshots of a flight of the vehicle. i cant accept this

My smol plane:

20210421165517-1.jpg

The plane just after takeoff. It needs the end of the runway to take off because it cant rotate on level ground.

20210421165726-1.jpg

Here Jeb enjoys flight.

20210421165743-1.jpg

A parachute is underneath the plane so it can land (meza to lazy to land meself).

It includes 18 parts.

@peridoot is good? Fills criteria? Do i get badge?

Edited by Stormpilot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.