[1.9.x - 1.12.x] Precursors V1.7.1-- ODYSSEY UPDATE -- NOW ON GITHUB!

wpetula

Hey! Just a suggestion, but you should make a kerbal texture pack for texture replacer! Mabey some of the kerbals could have pure white skin (or a transitioning green to white color) to represent the adaption to frontiers climate. It would make more since because you can take the kerbals helmet off on Frontier. Just a suggestion tho, thanks!

22 hours ago, funnelton said:

Howdy, i got a question about this, will there eventually be EVE configs/EVE clouds for this? thanks!

I want to eventually add EVE support, but there are currently no comprehensive tutorials for how to use EVE. I am prioritizing other aspects of Precursors first.

4 hours ago, Sky Kerman said:

For some reson when I get close to windswept surface, the game freezes, and then framerates drop to like 2-10 FPS, what is causing this? A game restart does not work either.

Which mods do you have installed?

1 hour ago, Sky Kerman said:

Kopernicus, Precursors,  Modual Mangier, Modual Flight indicatior, that new mod that comes with Kopernicus I think it’s called like 000-Harmony or something, and scatter.

Try deleting Windswept's cache. If that doesn't fix it, please link a video of the issue and the graphics settings you are using for Kopernicus and Scatterer. I'll try to recreate the issue and patch it in the upcoming update.

2 minutes ago, wpetula said:

Try deleting Windswept's cache. If that doesn't fix it, please link a video of the issue and the graphics settings you are using for Kopernicus and Scatterer. I'll try to recreate the issue and patch it in the upcoming update.

Do you mean deleting the .bin file?

4 hours ago, Spinderman said:

I've noticed that when you get close to Fracture the surface becomes very bright and white. But this only happens when I'm in control of a vessel near Fracture, in the tracking station it looks fine. Is there any way to fix this?

This is a problem with Scatterer that I will be fixing in the update. For a quick fix, go into the Scatterer menu / configs and deactivate ScaledSpace land adjustments. This setting is incompatible with OnDemand texture loading and breaks everything.

Also...

v53rS1Z.png

VFQt9md.png

ztbIVXb.png

nP0Lyp9.png

Abyss just got even more dangerous. Forget about the violent oceans; you'll have dense, toxic haze to deal with.

Edited by wpetula

25 minutes ago, wpetula said:

This is a problem with Scatterer that I will be fixing in the update. For a quick fix, go into the Scatterer menu / configs and deactivate ScaledSpace land adjustments. This setting is incompatible with OnDemand texture loading and breaks everything.

Also...

v53rS1Z.png

VFQt9md.png

ztbIVXb.png

nP0Lyp9.png

Abyss just got even more dangerous. Forget about the violent oceans; you'll have dense, toxic haze to deal with.

Amazing! How do you find the land mass?

On 1/7/2023 at 6:00 AM, Saturn_The_Planet said:

Is there a version that doesn't replace the stock system, but just adds all of the new bodies?

I attempted to make an interstellar update, but stuff kept breaking over and over again. It was a mess, so I scrapped the update and moved on to something else. Sorry!

Update 1.6 is out NOW on SpaceDock!

rBhQo70.png

B09VJ4y.png

MF4zPtv.png

YW1X4RW.png

Description

Gas giant bands. Volcanic plumes. Intense storms.

Precursors 1.6 breathes new life into the gameplay experience with dynamic cloud systems, major celestial body overhauls, and numerous quality of life improvements.  Merry late Christmas, everyone! Download Precursors now at https://spacedock.info/mod/2869/Precursors Planet Pack.

Changelog

Added content

• Added EVE support, including highly detailed clouds, storms, and volcanic plumes
  • Added weather reports to all bodies’ descriptions
  • Overhauled Vista
  • Revamped Hydra
  • Revamped Cetus
  • Improved Frontier’s heightmap and color map
  • Improved Abyss, Echo, and Silence’s ocean textures
  • Improved Maar’s liquid texture
  • Improved Fracture’s lava texture
  • New loading screens and tips

Changes

• Tweaked the color of Abyss’ ocean and atmosphere to be more realistic
  • Removed Tranquility’s glitched surface
  • Converted all primary textures from .png to .dds
  • Small config and description tweaks to all bodies

Bug fixes

• Fixed the phantom acceleration issue when escaping or entering the influence of small moons
  • Fixed the Scatterer white surface issue
  • Fixed Tranquility’s bumpy normal map
  • Fixed some broken terrain textures
  • Fixed significant lag when approaching celestial bodies
Edited by wpetula

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, so, I made a Delta-V map! I'm not very good at math though, so I mostly used Astrogator, MechJeb, and maneuver node fiddling to create it.

By all means, if someone else can fix my calcs and make them more precise, that'd be great- I think this'll be plenty good enough to start with, though. I would be very surprised if these dV values didn't get you wherever you wanna go.

Spoiler

6Ufl0RY.png

5 minutes ago, Lithium-7 said:

Hey, so, I made a Delta-V map! I'm not very good at math though, so I mostly used Astrogator, MechJeb, and maneuver node fiddling to create it.

By all means, if someone else can fix my calcs and make them more precise, that'd be great- I think this'll be plenty good enough to start with, though. I would be very surprised if these dV values didn't get you wherever you wanna go.

Most of the numbers look good, and the graphics are quite informative! The colored ocean symbols are a really nice touch.

I'm getting significantly lower numbers for the interplanetary transfers, though.

Fracture: ejection 1200, capture 5000
Echo: ejection 290, capture 600
Windswept: ejection 85, capture 140
Scourge: ejection 15, capture 30
Rage: ejection 45, capture 13
Serenity: ejection 150, capture 45

14 minutes ago, Lithium-7 said:

I would be very surprised if these dV values didn't get you wherever you wanna go

I know it's the standard to do a subway style map like this, but I personally dislike it because it doesn't have any numbers for transfers between two bodies other than the homeworld. However, I agree that the format makes an excellent starting point.

Serenity ascent: 128000 m/s

Serenity's atmosphere is so thick that I'm not sure what an ascent delta-v number even means when rocket engines simply fail under the absurd pressure. You could replace the practically unachievable number with a note saying something like "good luck getting out of this atmosphere" (like JNSQ does), a figure from a starting point at high altitude (like Edge of Eternity does), or something else entirely.

25 minutes ago, Leganeski said:

Most of the numbers look good, and the graphics are quite informative! The colored ocean symbols are a really nice touch.

I'm getting significantly lower numbers for the interplanetary transfers, though.

Fracture: ejection 1200, capture 5000
Echo: ejection 290, capture 600
Windswept: ejection 85, capture 140
Scourge: ejection 15, capture 30
Rage: ejection 45, capture 13
Serenity: ejection 150, capture 45

I know it's the standard to do a subway style map like this, but I personally dislike it because it doesn't have any numbers for transfers between two bodies other than the homeworld. However, I agree that the format makes an excellent starting point.

Serenity's atmosphere is so thick that I'm not sure what an ascent delta-v number even means when rocket engines simply fail under the absurd pressure. You could replace the practically unachievable number with a note saying something like "good luck getting out of this atmosphere" (like JNSQ does), a figure from a starting point at high altitude (like Edge of Eternity does), or something else entirely.

To be honest, I mostly just use Transfer Window Planner for the ejection dV, outgoing and returning. This also gives me the total mission duration, for life support mods. Didn't have the patience to average that out like the Community dV Map, considering I wouldn't use it anyway.

TWP might have given me some suboptimal transfers. You can absolutely get better numbers than the ones on this map, the purpose is to give you numbers that will all-but ensure you arrive at your destination, which are still reasonable to build for. I found that the dV totals for most bodies were quite similar to the ones provided for vanilla bodies on the Community dV Map, so they're certainly quite achievable by inexperienced players.

The transfer numbers also don't factor in the inevitable course correction maneuvers that will have to be done if you're not 100% precise with your maneuver, so the extra dV listed would definitely account for that if you get a good window.

I'm kind of sick of working on this thing for now though, so if you want to fix it, go ahead! I just spent the better part of two days working on the map, and I want to get back to actually playing Precursors.

And, yeah, to be honest, I only gave the gas worlds + Serenity ascent numbers because it fit the format better- I almost just wrote "No"- but realistically you're not coming back from Serenity's oceans without, like, a Gravimetric Engine from Kerbal Flying Saucers or an equivalent torch ship drive.

Also... Spoilers below!

Spoiler

But wasn't Tranquility supposed to have a rocky surface? In my testing I discovered that it appeared to function exactly like any other gas world- no ground at all. I had to edit my quicksave to get a landed vessel state just for Astrogator to even give me the ascent numbers.