Hello, World!

Jack White

Welcome to the forum @Jack White, the best advice for a new player is keep calm and crash spacecraft. :happy:

After that, making orbit is going to be your first hurdle. A two stage rocket works great if you use an engine designed for sea level on your first stage and an engine optimised for vacuum on the second. You will need to perform a 'gravity turn', that means your rocket goes from vertical travel to horizontal during ascent to get into orbit.

Any time you are having problems you can ask our friendly and helpful community.

57 minutes ago, James Kerman said:

Welcome to the forum @Jack White, the best advice for a new player is keep calm and crash spacecraft. :happy:

After that, making orbit is going to be your first hurdle. A two stage rocket works great if you use an engine designed for sea level on your first stage and an engine optimised for vacuum on the second. You will need to perform a 'gravity turn', that means your rocket goes from vertical travel to horizontal during ascent to get into orbit.

Any time you are having problems you can ask our friendly and helpful community.

Thanks for the quick answer! Yep, communtity there from what I've seen there so far are pretty friendly! I'll try out your tips :)

3 hours ago, Jack White said:

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and project in general. I've been watching some videos about this game and I'm exited to play it. Any tips for a good start for a newbie? :)

Hello and welcome to the forums!!

Some tips:

-Start with Science Mode.

-Get good with Sandbox.

-Master the Game by being Strazenblitz and Bradley Whistance playing Career Mode (I actually just started a Career Mode Save!)

-Watch Matt Lowne's Lowne Aerospace 2: The Second One. (That's the one that helped me a lot.)

-Learn how to get mods. (If you're on PC)

-Get the DLC's. (They're great!)

-Get Kerbal Engineer Redux. (For PC Only but makes your life SOOO much easier.)

-Stay away from TweakScale. (It's even more cheating than MechJeb 2's auto-pilot)

-Get Kerbal Alarm Clock (Again, only for PC, but is a lot better than the stock variant given to us in 1.12.)

-Design, Build, Test, Explore, Repeat! (Very important.)

-Be active on the Forums! (Also very important, if not the most important.)

-And most of all,

HAVE FUN!

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as millions os parts suddenly descaled on a savegame...

7 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

-Stay away from TweakScale. (It's even more cheating than MechJeb 2's auto-pilot)

By obvious reasons, I disagree!!! :D 

Clipping parts disregarding the internal volumes is more of a cheating than using TweakScale - I had seen people clipping cockpits inside fuel tanks, and this is "cheating" for sure.

Using TweakScale on a Career Game can spoil the game for sure, scaling engines in particular.

But it can also save you a lot of parts, what could allow you to built more complex vessels without taxing your CPU - lowering the parts count to achieve the same result is always welcome.

Using TweakScale on wings and control surfaces allows you to do more interesting wings, and scaling the Wheels is a necessity with the base game lacking diversity on these very needed tools. 

And about MechJeb's auto-pilot, I also disagree. :D 

Not everyone is a natural born pilot, and some don't even want to be. Doing challenges like circumnavigating Kerbin without some auto-pilot is self-torturing. Some people enjoy building things, other enjoy flying them. For the former, auto-pilots are a necessity, form the later, a valuable asset to be used on that long and boring transitions (or when you need to go to bathroom on the middle of a 2 hours flight between the poles).

7 hours ago, AtomicTech said:

-Watch Matt Lowne's Lowne Aerospace 2: The Second One. (That's the one that helped me a lot.)

Give a chance also to the older videos from Scott Manley. There're some very valuable hints on these videos too!!