ColdJ

Hi and welcome to the YnoT1300.
A project initiated by @Space Cowboy Initially it was just to create a reasonable pod to emulate the famous Millenium Falcon out of Star Wars, but being me I couldn't leave it without something decent to attach it too and of course give people variation parts so they can build a model of the YT1300 freighter that is individual for them. Many many iterations of all the parts later and I have finally got to the point that I think it can go out into the world.

Everything has a node of it's own off the main hull and usually click in easily if you put them in the logical areas

.The RCS system has a node that floats above the main hull and when it clicks in it should disappear from external view. I find I don't have to autostrut and that everything holds together under high G forces. I have learnt many new 3D modeling techniques including how to make internals. They may not be the works of art you see in some mods, but I think they do the job.

The main hull has built in VTOL engines and I usually set them to independent throttle which I have bound to my number pad. They are only required for take off and landing as once you are moving forward the body is essentially a giant wing that generates it's own lift. It combines the properties of a flying brick and a leaf on the wind, so that in any reasonable amount of atmosphere you will decelerate very quickly without engine thrust but you also won't plummet, generally if you are falling with the saucer parallel to the ground, you won't exceed 50 m/s.

The RCS is generally only needed for VTOL maneuvering, help with landing and space docking etc.The reaction wheels handle direction without needing their help.
The mod has 1 dependency because I wanted the landing gear and ramp to have sound effects when they open and close. It is @linuxgurugamer's "ModuleAnimateGenericEffects" and I will put the link to it here.

https://spacedock.info/mod/2345/ModuleAnimateGenericEffects

Always forget something. It has high drag low down in atmosphere so only tops out around 300m/s but as you get higher and the pressure gets less it will get faster and faster. Check your Apoapsis and back off the throttle or you will end up in orbit around Kerbol.

Type YT1300 in the part finder to have everything show.

I have left a plain version of the texture pic that the ship uses in the main folder so that if you are so inclined, you can use it as a base on which to paint your own ship schemes. The ship variations are at the end of the config files and if you compare them to the pre done schemes you should see how you can add your own. There is a pre-made craft file in the main folder that you can pop in your save if you like.

The majority of the parts are at the end of the tech tree for career because basically it is way more advanced than anything stock and runs off a resource that unless you dedicated yourself to trying to deplete, is basically infinite.
I hope you will have fun with it.

License CC-BY-SA 4.0

Spacedock Link: https://spacedock.info/mod/2978/YnoT1300

YnoT1300-1645066584.png

OB0Pxry.jpg

U6ILJ2I.jpg

DUv5HrW.png

5WohYIB.png

MlQm1v3.png

AKKxJ3D.png

Edited by ColdJ
Make things clearer

1TC7PId.png

This is awesome!

You should definetely add some more in-flight screenshots, she's a beauty! And give the thread a better name, "YnoT1300" won't catch many users, "Star Wars Millenium Falcon" however will.

Two things: Would you mind including a .craft file? That'd be very convenient for all the users who just want to enjoy flying the Millenium Falcon, without having to actually put it together. And, maybe you could add a part which acts as a vertical stabilizer? It doesn't actually have to be one, you could add that to the engines if you wish, or make it an invisible part or so. Just so it feels a bit more natural to fly at higher speeds through the atmosphere.

Nice job! I love the IVA too with that funny game.

3 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

1TC7PId.png

This is awesome!

You should definetely add some more in-flight screenshots, she's a beauty! And give the thread a better name, "YnoT1300" won't catch many users, "Star Wars Millenium Falcon" however will.

Two things: Would you mind including a .craft file? That'd be very convenient for all the users who just want to enjoy flying the Millenium Falcon, without having to actually put it together. And, maybe you could add a part which acts as a vertical stabilizer? It doesn't actually have to be one, you could add that to the engines if you wish, or make it an invisible part or so. Just so it feels a bit more natural to fly at higher speeds through the atmosphere.

Nice job! I love the IVA too with that funny game.

Hi. I am glad you like it.

I know it can be hard to judge tone when reading these things so I would just like to preface the next comments and quotes by just saying, there is no sarcasm or condescention, just pointing out the stuff I have already written. I try to put as much info as I can, and I often forget stuff , I know they can be long and people just want to get on with trying it out. But there are things in there that make using the mod easier.

First in the tags for this thread. Are "Millenium Falcon" ( and I just realised that I forgot the second n) and "Star Wars.".

Then in the actual intro.

14 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Initially it was just to create a reasonable pod to emulate the famous Millenium Falcon out of Star Wars, but being me I couldn't leave it without something decent to attach it too and of course give people variation parts so they can build a model of the YT1300 freighter that is individual for them

And I also put.

There is a pre-made craft file in the main folder that you can pop in your save if you like.

As to atmospheric flying. It is built realistic to it's size and shape, It will wander slightly without input from you, but if you set the SAS to do something like Prograde etc, it will stay on course. If you find that the reaction wheels aren't stable enough for your way of flying, just turn on the RCS and it will be extremely steady. The monoprop slowy trickle charges over time and it starts with a large supply, so you shouldn't run out. Just wondering, you are remembering to turn the VTOL off after you flying right? If you leave it running then that will make it want to keep raising it's nose up and over.

The main hull has built in VTOL engines and I usually set them to independent throttle which I have bound to my number pad. They are only required for take off and landing as once you are moving forward the body is essentially a giant wing that generates it's own lift.

Thank you for your input. I will see about adding some more flying screenshots. At the time I was just trying to get it out so I could get some sleep.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.