KSP 2: wish-lists compilation (I probably stole your idea!)

On 3/9/2022 at 11:10 PM, Zozaf Kerman said:
On 2/22/2022 at 7:42 PM, Vl3d said:

Black hole system with time dilation effects

I think it would be cool to have a black hole far out from the solar systems that has a small asteroid orbiting it  just outside the point where you end up getting pulled by the black hole. It would be really challenging to land on the asteroid, so it could become an awesome endgame destination.

That's not how a black hole works. Black holes act like any other body in the Universe in regards to gravity. If the Earth was suddenly crunched down to the size of a marble and collapsed into a black hole, nothing in orbit around Earth would budge. The ISS would stay in orbit as usual, with the exception that the astronauts can't go home, and the Moon would stay right where it is. The only change happens below the radius Earth used to have before collapsing, where the gravitational acceleration increases without limit, as opposed to maxing out at 1g and going down to 0g as is usual. Gravity gets really strong near a black hole - if you've tried orbiting Kerbol before, you'd know the deep gravity well only makes it harder to crash into it as you need more energy to cancel your velocity. Even if you were on the nose and headed straight for the event horizon, it's still only the size of a marble. In just a few nanoseconds, most of your ship would turn to plasma and fling away back outwards as the centimeter-wide part of your ship approaching the horizon falls inward.

Applying the same logic to stellar mass black holes; in order to get "sucked in", you want to reduce your periapsis while already in a high orbit so your periapsis falls into the event horizon. Because you need little velocity for the periapsis to fall inside the horizon, a slight push could send you going completely around the black hole instead. Why? The gravity is strong near the event horizon, which causes speed (and centrifugal force) at the periapsis to counteract the gravitational force. This is how all orbits work, even around black holes, and this precise balance is what keeps Earth orbiting the Sun instead of flying off.

Alternatively, if you're already in a circular orbit near a black hole, you will be going at a significant fraction of the speed of light because you're so deep in the gravitational well. In order to escape this orbit or fall in further, you must impart a lot of energy. It doesn't matter if you do this at once or slowly burn your engines over the course of months to push your semimajor axis away (or towards) the hole.

All this is to demonstrate that a black hole really wouldn't be as dangerous as it seems. If you got close enough to see light distortion, your vessel (depending on its size) would already be coming under much stress due to its proximity to the hole.

In practice, Kerbol is much more dangerous than a black hole as you don't have to cancel as much of your velocity for your periapsis to enter any dangerous zone. Getting too close, you'd overheat and explode. On the over hand. if you found yourself drifting right into a black hole, it'd only take a few seconds (or a minute) of engine burn time to retreat the periapsis to a safe distance. If you wanted to get into a stable orbit up close, you'd have to spend months of cumulative burn time near the periapsis to get an orbit resembling a circle, or spend years at minimum throttle (slowly ramping up over the course of the trajectory) so your orbit remains circular and approaches the hole slowly.

What you really want is a supermassive black hole far out as a milestone for the most dedicated of explorers. With a small black hole, you would not be able to approach the event horizon before being torn apart. If you remained in one piece, you'd only spend a fraction of a second anywhere near the horizon. On the other hand, a supermassive black hole if large enough that a trajectory coming from far out and flinging around the event horizon would not get you torn apart. If you went inside the horizon, you'd have more than a fraction of a second to see the Universe band around you as spacetime warps your perception. Most of all, you could marvel at one from a distance whereas a smaller black hole is practically invisible from a safe distance.

Had another idea. What do you guys think about this: deep sea mining of resources and ocean platform colonies.

Besides being able to build underwater colonies, we should be able to build above-water platforms for launch / landing pads or deep sea mining operations.

Then we could have water craft parts to build giant sea ship tankers to transport resources to a land based port for further rover / train logistics.

And we should be able to do it on Kerbin also (meaning we would also need to mine resources on Kerbin). It would be the most efficient solution for sea transportation excepting pipes.

Would make for some very interesting ocean colonies like the one on Kamino (Star Wars).

Tipoca-City-Kamino.png

Edited by Vl3d

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Had another idea. What do you guys think about this: deep sea mining of resources and ocean platform colonies

You're definitely grabbing all of the ideas out there. :P Floating colonies and underwater harvesting will be necessary for some of the planets shown already. More that likely there will be some stock parts for water usage.

On 2/22/2022 at 2:42 PM, Vl3d said:

Destructible terrain (holes in the ground when landing caused by engine too close, explosion craters)

While I doubt this will happen, it definitely seems that destructible/physics based surface scatter is within the realm of possibility, it would add to the immersion a substantial amount if you crashed a plane in a forest and you left a path of collapsed trees.

40 minutes ago, Awfulwaffle said:

crashed a plane in a forest and you left a path of collapsed trees

Also skid marks on grass, snow/earth trench, a crater.. ship remains getting covered by snow or sand. To be found later along with the black box containing ship logs stating they ran out of fuel before landing.. and a light at night coming from a cave where the surviving kerbonaut stockpiled supplies, buried his crew and grew a bear(d) for weeks, all in multiplayer, found him after intercepting the SOS radio signal barely distinguishable from white noise. The possibilities...

Hmm, listening for radio signals from ships could be a neat activity in multiplayer.

Edited by Vl3d

25 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Also skid marks on grass, snow/earth trench, a crater.. ship remains getting covered by snow or sand. To be found later along with the black box containing ship logs stating they ran out of fuel before landing.. and a light at night coming from a cave where the surviving kerbonaut stockpiled supplies, buried his crew and grew a bear(d) for weeks, all in multiplayer, found him after intercepting the SOS radio signal barely distinguishable from white noise. The possibilities...

Hmm, listening for radio signals from ships could be a neat activity in multiplayer.

As long as you don't expect to go back 100 years later, after having left other tracks all over the Kerbol system, and see the first tracks.  This kind of thing isn't super hard typically, but the issue arises after tracks and deformations from stock accumulate over time until the processing of deformations becomes a bigger task than the initial stock rendering/modeling.  I'm sure you could imagine a lot of tracks around a base for example.  Most games will only track a limited amount of deformations sorted by time so more recent deformations persist, but once some limit is reached, the oldest ones are purged.  In a multiplayer environment this gets even more crucial.  This is probably a feature that could vary quite a bit depending on the specs of the gaming machine. 

I've got more.

It's server year 73. One of the space based telescopes detects a huge interstellar comet on an intercept course with Jool. All players obtain the info (or get notified) and we have 1 year to prepare our observation missions. We build probes and set them in orbit around Jool. Some of us build small landers and hitch a ride on the comet. But the most advanced players construct a huge rocket on a deflection mission and barely alter it's trajectory to try to capture it around the gas giant. The comet comes into Jool proximity as we all watch and do experiments, the huge engines attached to the comet spewing long flames as they try to circularize. Unfortunately joolian gravity and thrust forces stress its internal structure too much. We watch in horror as the comet breaks apart, engines still firing tumbling wildly into space. We observe the trajectories of the huge pieces. One of them is headed straight for Laythe and it's too late to do anything about it. We see the atmosphere lighting up, a huge mushroom explosion near one of the islands where a few players had built tourist colonies. Shock waves catch some of the space-planes and rockets trying to escape. We all saw it from unique vantage points, we will remember it for the rest of our lives. The humanity...

Would make for a great YouTube compilation: the Great Laythe Desolation of '73.

Edited by Vl3d

20 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

I've got more.

It's server year 73. One of the space based telescopes detects a huge interstellar comet on an intercept course with Jool. All players obtain the info (or get notified) and we have 1 year to prepare our observation missions. We build probes and set them in orbit around Jool. Some of us build small landers and hitch a ride on the comet. But the most advanced players construct a huge rocket on a deflection mission and barely alter it's trajectory to try to capture it around the gas giant. The comet comes into Jool proximity as we all watch and do experiments, the huge engines attached to the comet spewing long flames as they try to circularize. Unfortunately joolian gravity and thrust forces stress its internal structure too much. We watch in horror as the comet breaks apart, engines still firing tumbling wildly into space. We observe the trajectories of the huge pieces. One of them is headed straight for Laythe and it's too late to do anything about it. We see the atmosphere lighting up, a huge mushroom explosion near one of the islands where a few players had built tourist colonies. Shock waves catch some of the space-planes and rockets trying to escape. We all saw it from unique vantage points, we will remember it for the rest of our lives. The humanity...

Would make for a great YouTube compilation: the Great Laythe Desolation of '73.

And what about that other fragment that escaped Jool altogether.  OMG!  It's on an intercept with Kerbin!

2 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Shock waves catch some of the space-planes and rockets trying to escape.

I’m actually hoping that large explosions create shockwaves, which by the way would be different with different atmospheres. Probably not tidal waves or anything, but a simple expanding sphere that applies a gradually diminishing force when you get hit by it would be interesting. Also, has anyone tried going at Mach 1 riding a shockwave?

The more I think about multiplayer, the more epic it gets. I would love to witness events and projects done by other players (from a distance):
... look up from the ground and see huge space stations orbiting (or even destroyed space stations)
... see in the distance explosions of players that crash when landing or spent stages - example looking from Kerbin at the Mun at night and seeing small flashes and wondering what that was
... see gigantic ships leaving orbit on interstellar missions (Daedalus, Orion etc.), wishing i went with them
... see planes flying in formation above
... witness huge comet or asteroid impact events (on a lander attached to them or with other players orbiting with space telescopes nearby)
... visit colonies of other players built at great view locations
... be able to witness interesting launches of craft built by other players
... see TV transmissions in-game of world-first events accomplished by other advanced players (through their hull cameras or telescopes or if they set up a lander first to record the event)
... chill on land and take a selfie right before a friend crashes his huge ship behind me coming in blazing from orbit (probably would have to respawn)

Edited by Vl3d

I also hope for kerbals to actually make noise, rather than just expressions. In the second/third/one of the feature videos, we can hear the kerbals screaming when something goes wrong. I hope they actually make sound.

I don't want a quiet mission.

4 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

I don't want a quiet mission.

Sound:

• Chatterer (both mission control and crew)
  • Ship (stress) sounds, beeps, notifications, (proximity) alarms
  • More epic atmospheric music (it gets repetitive after a while)
  • Count down at launch (at least some kind of 5-4-3-2-1, engine turbines spooling up sounds)
  • Sonic boom at mach limit
  • Kerbals talking in the pod amongst themselves, saying jokes, making funny sounds, screaming, crazy frog video

10 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Sound:

• Chatterer (both mission control and crew)
  • Ship (stress) sounds, beeps, notifications, (proximity) alarms
  • More epic atmospheric music (it gets repetitive after a while)
  • Count down at launch (at least some kind of 5-4-3-2-1, engine turbines spooling up sounds)
  • Sonic boom at mach limit
  • Kerbals talking in the pod amongst themselves, saying jokes, making funny sounds, screaming, crazy frog video

Some proper sound and atmosphere is something that's missing from KSP - I definitely +1 this. it'd be interesting to hear the low rumble of a massive interstellar vessel settling, or the sound of air rushing between EVAs. Although I don't think Kerbals should speak English, some visible and audible interaction among them (other than reproduction) would be nice.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:42 PM, Vl3d said:

Recordings / replays (especially before a close call or a crash - great for posting on YouTube)

Probably never happening. All modern consoles and Windows 10/11 support background recording already. It's not perfect but don't think devs will spend time on that.

55 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

or the sound of air rushing between EVAs.

I think there's a mod that does this, i've installed it before but i don't know what mod it is. Possibly chatterer.

21 minutes ago, siklidkid said:
1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

or the sound of air rushing between EVAs.

I think there's a mod that does this, i've installed it before but i don't know what mod it is. Possibly chatterer.

It is chatterer that does this, yes.

I'd like some option to allow comparison of parts. When there's a bunch of engines to choose from, it can be annoying to hover over each one to try and figure out which has the best Vac Isp and thrust for my needs. An option to compare the stats of two parts would be really useful.