Was A Guy Trying To Scam Me? Please Explain If You Can

Spacescifi

So I was leaving in the parking lot and a man approaches me and before he can finish his sentence I blurt out, "Lemme guess? Money?"

He was wearing shorts and a tank top and carrying a plastic bag from the store.

He replied, "Actually I wanna GIVE you money."

Red flags appeared immediately for me. I do not trust anyone easily, especially strangers who approach me with offers.

I told him I was OK while smiling, since I assumed his attempt at scamming me had failed spectacularly.

As he was leaving he said his card had been maxed out and wanted me to go to the store for him.

I have no idea what that means.

What was the situation? Anyone care to explain? Yes I live in the USA.

@Spacescifi i cannot say with 100% certainty that the guy was going for a scam, but to me, on first blush from reading the situation as described that he was definitely angling at something less than legal. What exactly I can only speculate on, but not cooperating with the guy was 100% the right choice. Could I be wrong? Sure but my instinct says you avoided something bad!

46 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@Spacescifi i cannot say with 100% certainty that the guy was going for a scam, but to me, on first blush from reading the situation as described that he was definitely angling at something less than legal. What exactly I can only speculate on, but not cooperating with the guy was 100% the right choice. Could I be wrong? Sure but my instinct says you avoided something bad!

My instinct was telling me the same. I presume he wanted me to pretend to be him with his card... but I am not going to take the fall for some stranger!

I don't even do that for those I know.

Everyone should be responsible for their own self.

That is what separates working adults from every other kind.

1 hour ago, Spacescifi said:

He was wearing shorts and a tank top and carrying a plastic bag from the store.

A tank modeller had bought a tank in toy shop.

hand-panzer-hand-panzer-isolated-white-b

The tank top was not in the plastic bag to protect it from crashing.

He was wearing shorts because they are cheaper than trousers, so he could spend more money on his hobby.

Red flags appeared immediately for me.

Probably, it was a model of a Soviet tank.

As he was leaving he said his card had been maxed out and wanted me to go to the store for him.

I have no idea what that means.

He was trying to make somebody interested in the tank modelling, too.

"Actually I wanna GIVE you money."

Yes, the modelling is a field where the money don't just get spent, but also grow.
You can not only buy the tank models, but also sell them for good price.

i ignore anyone who solicits me in public, usually accompanied by looking at them crosseyed.

that said i have enough money grubbing parasites in my family. i usually give them the same treatment. they all "own" big cars, boats, houses and dont pay their bills. they buy too much stuff on credit and then beg the poorer members of the family to help cover the costs. not one ever paid me back or so much as given me a ride to work. needless to say i dont talk to those people any more. family members get one. 

i also kind of worked in a pawn shop at one point. so ive seen almost every scam known to man. if someone hocks something, and leaves their id, its probibly fake and the item is probibly stolen. a copy of the pawn slip, along with their fingerprint and a scan of their id, goes to the police. every couple of weeks an officer would come by with a stack of pawn slips if items which were reported stolen. the day i started working there an employee was getting canned for stealing high value items, apparently when he filled out the pawn slips he altered the descriptions so they matched other cheaper items on the pull lists (items which are put up for sale after the load period expires). he then bought them as those items. but he was able to return them so they didnt call the cops.  and thats just a tiny subset. cant trust anyone.

Edited by Nuke

Could possibly be a variant on the old "pigeon drop" scam.

He says he doesn't have the money right now, but he can "prove" he can get it for you later. If you just put up some of your own money right now you'll get a lot more than you paid when he gets it to you. The proof is just a hook and won't compensate you for what you paid, and the money coming later either never comes or is counterfeit like a bad check or banking details that aren't his to give.

Walk away and don't look back.

Edited by HvP

3 hours ago, Nuke said:

you are more likely to be harmed by a family member than a stranger, statistically speaking. 

Physically yes, especially for anyone who had an abusive father as I had.

But losing money via a scam?

Strangers are far more likely to do that to you, since I would assume we know family well enough to see that trick coming a mile away.

5 hours ago, Spacescifi said:

But losing money via a scam?

Strangers are far more likely to do that to you, since I would assume we know family well enough to see that trick coming a mile away.

Very optimistically.

You aren't in already existing financial relations (inheritance, right for aliments, etc) with a stranger, and it's harder to say "no" if a family member asks for something, because other part of family can be disappointed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.