The Colors of Planets are Less Interesting

mudkipboy7

In KSP1 Minmus is one of my favorite destinations for building and landing on due to both it's beautiful appearance and it being very easy to get stuff to. But from what I've seen from KSP2 it looks far more grey and boring. Now, don't get me wrong, they've done a great job with texturing and the shape and whatnot, but it just doesn't look as good without it's green-ish, minty color. The color also makes it less distinguishable from The Mun. The same thing applies to Eve's surface but to a lesser degree because I won't be going to it's surface very often anyways and at least the clouds are still purple, but I still wish/hope at least part of it's surface is still purple. Now I get that they're going for realism, but I wish there was at least some sort of classic planetary color option thing in the graphics settings to make the planets look as vibrant as they did originally.

Edited by mudkipboy7

4 minutes ago, mudkipboy7 said:

In KSP1 Minmus is one of my favorite destinations for building and landing on due to both it's beautiful appearance and it being very easy to get stuff to. But from what I've seen from KSP2 it looks far more grey and boring. Now, don't get me wrong, they've done a great job with texturing and the shape and whatnot, but it just doesn't look as good without it's green-ish, minty color. The same thing applies to Eve's surface but to a lesser degree because I won't be going to it's surface very often anyways and at least the clouds are still purple, but I still wish/hope at least part of it's surface is still purple. Now I get that they're going for realism, but I wish there was at least some sort of classic planetary color option thing in the graphics settings to make the planets look as vibrant as they did originally.

Also, minmus looks less distinguishable from The Mun. I am also not the biggest fan of the much smaller ice caps on Duna.

Honestly, I think the gray-cyan look really suits it.

Now, the realistic graphics aren't really the thing I am the most excited for, they do look great though. It is more so the new features like better colonies and a game engine that doesn't break at interstellar distances.

Edited by mudkipboy7

16 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Honestly, I think the gray-cyan look really suits it.

I don't really think it looks bad, and I understand why people like it. I just wish that there was an in-game option to have more vibrant planets or something.

Edited by mudkipboy7

32 minutes ago, mudkipboy7 said:

In KSP1 Minmus is one of my favorite destinations for building and landing on due to both it's beautiful appearance and it being very easy to get stuff to. But from what I've seen from KSP2 it looks far more grey and boring. Now, don't get me wrong, they've done a great job with texturing and the shape and whatnot, but it just doesn't look as good without it's green-ish, minty color

If you're upset about the color, wait until you try to eat it. Apparently it's no longer made out of ice cream!

1 minute ago, Kerbart said:

If you're upset about the color, wait until you try to eat it. Apparently it's no longer made out of ice cream!

I think it was actually specified in the EVA science reports to not actually be made out of ice cream.

Edited by mudkipboy7

You’re not the only one who’s disappointed with the color change of Minmus, so I’m sure there will be early mods to restore its minty greenness.

Personally, I welcome the change. I always found Minmus to be an obnoxious moon. I built my first space station there, and after several days expanding it and flying missions from it, all that green just made me crazy. I still can’t look at a bowl of mint ice cream without wanting to barf. I have avoided Minmus for years because it’s so excruciatingly ugly.

4 minutes ago, Sp1f said:

You’re not the only one who’s disappointed with the color change of Minmus, so I’m sure there will be early mods to restore its minty greenness.

Personally, I welcome the change. I always found Minmus to be an obnoxious moon. I built my first space station there, and after several days expanding it and flying missions from it, all that green just made me crazy. I still can’t look at a bowl of mint ice cream without wanting to barf. I have avoided Minmus for years because it’s so excruciatingly ugly.

Personality Minmus is probably the place I've spent the most time at.

Edited by mudkipboy7

On 2/10/2023 at 5:57 PM, Kerbart said:

My very defiant head canon is that it's still ice cream, but there's a layer of glass that's a few kilometers thick on top of it

Fun fact: glass also happens to be the swedish word for ice cream

Edited by Maria Sirona

On 2/10/2023 at 5:46 PM, mudkipboy7 said:

more vibrant planets

:huh: I have never played Astroneer and never will exactly because of the "vibrant colors". This applies to all games that use the latest dopamine injected "art style" of oversaturated sparkly neon colorful 2 year old baby toys. I hate it with all my black and red heart! I will never forgive Candy Crush for bringing this addiction to the masses.

Edited by Vl3d

2 hours ago, Vl3d said:

:huh: I have never played Astroneer and never will exactly because of the "vibrant colors". This applies to all games that use the latest dopamine injected "art style" of oversaturated sparkly neon colorful 2 year old baby toys. I hate it with all my black and red heart! I will never forgive Candy Crush for bringing this addiction to the masses.

Wasn't Candy Crush that did it. Colorful art styles have been around in games since the flippin Nes dude. 

4 hours ago, Vl3d said:

I prefer the desaturated planets as much as NovaSilisko. But to say vibrancy is automatically bad is just... well, I don't think I have to say anything. This angry rant over something as inconsequential as the colours of the planets speaks for itself. I would say you're joking, but given the context, I can't be sure of that.

7 hours ago, Vl3d said:

... This applies to all games that use the latest dopamine injected "art style" of oversaturated sparkly neon colorful 2 year old baby toys... I will never forgive Candy Crush for bringing this addiction to the masses.

God forbid a game have a cartoony art style, because clearly no games used it before the early 2010s, and if they did, they were all colossal failures that did nothing for the console or industry as a whole. Not to mention, they're ALWAYS known for being complete and utter trite that hasn't aged well.

Spoiler

super_mario_64_switch_screen_4.jpg
zeldawindreview5in.jpg
spyro-boss.jpg
ss_a74d1c86eb7bedf050ae1c512a86aeec798c4

It depends on the art style of the game. It works very well for Astroneer, which has a very cartoony style for starters. KSP could have had a style like that. diminishing very little from the game, but it didn't. As it stands, KSP has a style that, while not an exact replica of every day life, tries to convey some form of (perceived) realism.

I didn't mind the mint green of Minmus. I have seen rocks greener than that, even outside Marioworld. Of course we can have discussions on what can be formed with or without atmosphere, water, vulcanism, or billions of years, but in the end it's a game about orbital mechanics, not exogeology; the permitted artistic freedom in that direction will, on average, be quite high.

27 minutes ago, Missingno200 said:

God forbid a game have a cartoony art style, because clearly no games used it before the early 2010s, and if they did, they were all colossal failures that did nothing for the console or industry as a whole. Not to mention, they're ALWAYS known for being complete and utter trite that hasn't aged well.

Hide contents

super_mario_64_switch_screen_4.jpg
zeldawindreview5in.jpg
spyro-boss.jpg
ss_a74d1c86eb7bedf050ae1c512a86aeec798c4

In addition,

Spoiler

maxresdefault_feature.jpgportal-2-is-better-at-brain-training-thascreenshot_25.pngsuperhot-vr-review-8.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

In addition...

(spoiler)

Spoiler

Ehh, Portal 2 isn't THAT cartoony, nor is it bright. I was already stretching it with Stubbs.

The rest are good cases though.

Spoiler

Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_(1989_video
terraria-labor-of-love.png

Edited by Missingno200
Dunno what the hell happened there, maybe the [spoiler] triggered it. +2 cases. We can keep this on for days, but let's not.

Just now, Missingno200 said:

Ehh, Portal 2 isn't THAT cartoony, nor is it bright.

Not every square inch of the game has to be bright and colourful for it to be a case of a game using bright colours as a part of its style. I'd argue that the dark and gloomy test chambers and BTS areas make what colour there is really pop, especially when you see mods that make the portals properly light the walls they are attached to, like they sort of did in the E3 promos. Compare with Outer Wilds where you don't see much saturation beyond a few tractor beams and crystals because everything else is also saturated - not that that's a bad thing.

29 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

KSP has a style that, while not an exact replica of every day life, tries to convey some form of (perceived) realism.

Everything should be moderately realistic looking in KSP except the Kerbals.