Outer Planets in KSP2

Like most probably know, the outer planets will not be added to KSP2. I actually think they are kind of an unofficial part of KSP1 and hope the developers make it possible to have them in the game. They could do this in three ways in my opinion.

1.       Add them in a later update

2.       Make them a (free) DLC

3.       Make them an official mod or extension

I also think the outer planet mod will add a lot more to KSP2 than it did to KSP1. It will also give some more challenging places (and huge distances) before making the huge jump to interstellar travel. Also in terms of colonies and gameplay (really for colonies) it will add a lot to the game.

Things from the outer planets mod that in my opinion will add a lot to the game:

The binary body: KSP2 will have a binary planet (rask and rusk) and different orbital mechanics for it. with the outer planets you would have something like that in the kerboler system. With outer planets there is Plock wich kinda is like that (Only one is a lot smaller/more like a moon)

Techto: is kinda like the titan of KSP. Real titan has lakes of methane, low gravity and a thick atmosphere. My opinion is that making this moon more like titan would add a lot in terms of gameplay. Methane is main liquid fuel in KSP2. Just imagine a moon with lakes of liquid fuel on the surface and transporting it to other colonies. Also the cool things in terms of planes with such a moon

Egg shaped moon: Will make some great landing challenges

The moon of the moon: outer planets also has a moon with a moon which is pretty funny in my opinion

If this mod will be remade for KSP2 (I hope it will) it would be nice if the developers will help make sure this mod feels as integrated into the game as possible (and maybe let it become part of the game later). Of course the outer planets should not be a priority, that must be making the main game work. Also for the remake I would like Eeloo to be a planet (same orbit) and not a moon

What part of "Kerbol system will be unchanged" wasn't clear? Besides, OPM2 will probably show up soon enough if KSP2 is as modding-friendly as advertised.

I don't particularly like OPM and the whole "it's basically Sol system but Kerbal-y" thing; either fully commit to it and use KSRSS, or do something totally different like Galileo's Planet Pack or Beyond Home do.

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I worry that they will hold them back as a paid DLC

Personally I wouldn't mind the outer planets as a paid DLC that gets released after 1.0.  The outer planets were never part of the early access roadmap, wasn't promised in any of the feature videos, and is a true "extra" that isn't critical for enjoying the base game.  Plus, the outer planets would be a sufficient amount of content to justify a DLC.  This seems like a fair one-time transaction of money for game content.

That said, the OPM will probably be released as a mod long before 1.0 so we'll probably get it for free anyway :D.

3 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

What part of "Kerbol system will be unchanged" wasn't clear? Besides, OPM2 will probably show up soon enough if KSP2 is as modding-friendly as advertised.

I don't particularly like OPM and the whole "it's basically Sol system but Kerbal-y" thing; either fully commit to it and use KSRSS, or do something totally different like Galileo's Planet Pack or Beyond Home do.

That is why I suggested it as a DLC or an official mod/extension. So the people who want it can have it

5 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I worry that they will hold them back as a paid DLC

I wouldn't mind. They never promissed it, the game can be played well without it and it adds enough to justify it being a paid DLC.

Edited by Lowi_Sace

Unless I am very mistaken OPM was a mod.  Nothing at all to do with anything official.

If the creator wants  to do a '2' version they will.

If Intercept do decide to expand the Kerbolar system they will, and I expect it will be paid DLC if so, unless it's just a couple of small bodies.

5 minutes ago, pandaman said:

Unless I am very mistaken OPM was a mod.  Nothing at all to do with anything official.

If the creator wants  to do a '2' version they will.

If Intercept do decide to expand the Kerbolar system they will, and I expect it will be paid DLC if so, unless it's just a couple of small bodies.

I would be totally fine with it being a paid dlc. Other option is letting it be an official mod. Hope the modder will make outer planets for ksp2

23 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Forget OPM, we're going interstellar. There are sufficient things to do in the stock Kerbol system as it is.

Outer planets would make a lot of gameplay sense as an intermediate between the interplanetary voyages of KSP 1 and interstellar voyages.

Going to a Sedna analoge would be 2 orders of magnitude farther out iirc

22 hours ago, pandaman said:

There is the "Outer planets mod" and the generic concept of outer planets.

The could skip a Saturn analogue, add one Ice giant (still want a Titan analogue, and since they have a method for making rings, a Saturn analogue seems like a good idea) or maybe something intermediate between a gas giant like Saturn and an ice giant like Neptune.

Then after that- kuiper belt-like and scattered disk like objects.

It wouldn't be an OPM copy, and could go much further.

Exploration of Oort cloud objects would be nearly on the scale of interstellar trips anyway.

Some predictions have our own Oort cloud extending half way to alpha centauri