Firespitter propeller plane and helicopter parts v7.1 (May 5th) for KSP 1.0

Snjo

7 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

No, that is not a rocket ... That is an internal combustion engine ... HUGE difference

The user is asking for the ability to use the props in an atmo that has no oxygen by replacing the oxygen requirement for the engines with oxidizer

Oh! So he wants to shove a scuba tank on the carburetor. 

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

Oh! So he wants to shove a scuba tank on the carburetor. 

Yeah, something like that

Although the Scuba Tanks in OrX are meant for kerbals, not vessels ... but essentially the same thing ;)

Wouldn't take much to do that if the developer was so inclined

Edited by DoctorDavinci

48 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Yeah, something like that

Although the Scuba Tanks in OrX are meant for kerbals, not vessels ... but essentially the same thing ;)

Wouldn't take much to do that if the developer was so inclined

It's essentially a resource converter in KSP language.  Feed in widely available numbers for liquid fuel and oxidizer use, plus electrical output (guessing at conversion rates), and then discover you need a LOT of compressed air or a slightly smaller LOT of oxidizer (assuming LOX).  They'll generally be more powerful but thirstier than fuel cells.  And run a lot leaner (oxygen rich).

1 hour ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

It's essentially a resource converter in KSP language.  Feed in widely available numbers for liquid fuel and oxidizer use, plus electrical output (guessing at conversion rates), and then discover you need a LOT of compressed air or a slightly smaller LOT of oxidizer (assuming LOX).  They'll generally be more powerful but thirstier than fuel cells.  And run a lot leaner (oxygen rich).

Sounds good ... Wouldn't be that difficult to implement either if the developer was so inclined ;)

On 7/3/2018 at 1:27 AM, oguz said:

Hi, i made 10t aircraft to fly in Titan atmosphere (where gravity is nearly 1/7 of Earth's/Kerbin's), i used FS1FPE folding electric propeller and feed it with Fuel Cell Array and feeding Fuel Cell Array with 540 liquid fuel and 660 oxidizer.. It appears that aircraft has more than 1500km range, i don't think it's ever possible in real life. Is that possible to add a turbo-diesel engine into the mod that would use liquid fuel and oxidizer from the fuel tank, instead of "air intake"? 

I was already thinking if it was possible(in ksp)/to use a rocket preburnerwhich are normally used to power turbopumps, but for propeller engines.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI for anyone whose helicopter main propellers are thrusting the wrong way, the reverse-thrust module isn't included in the part definition file by default (KSP 1.45, CKAN install). You can add it with the following:

MODULE
{
    name = FSswitchEngineThrustTransform
    defaultTTName = thrustTransform
    alternateTTName = alternateThrustTransform
    useNamedAlternate = 0
}

Edited by proteasome

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For anyone who's been wondering how to get the Wood Strut and the Wire Connectors back, I've finally solved it!! (I've been banging my head for two days on this.)

/GameData/Firespitter/Parts/biPlane/FS_strutConnectorWood/part.cfg

/GameData/Firespitter/Parts/biPlane/FS_strutConnectorWire/part.cfg

@ln6

-module = StrutConnector
+module = CompoundPart

I have some of these and some more fixes on a fork of mine. My worst nightmare at the moment is exactly the wheels, but I think I get a insight due a mess-up on EditorExtensionsRedux - autostruts. Every landing gear must be autostrutted to the root part, IIRC. I still have to check this on firespitter, however.

https://github.com/net-lisias-kspu/Firespitter/blob/master/CHANGE_LOG.md

12 minutes ago, Lisias said:

I have some of these and some more fixes on a fork of mine. My worst nightmare at the moment is exactly the wheels, but I think I get a insight due a mess-up on EditorExtensionsRedux - autostruts. Every landing gear must be autostrutted to the root part, IIRC. I still have to check this on firespitter, however.

Did you get the smallImpact and electricWhir sound files working?   I just ran them through Audacity for a quick pass and resaved - that got them working.

I also went into the strutConnectorWood.mu and fixed the misspelling strurConnectorWood and renamed the .png as well.

Edited by TranceaddicT

19 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

Did you get the smallImpact and electricWhir sound files working?   I just ran them through Audacity for a quick pass and resaved - that got them working.

I don't remember the files, but I did it in every sound file that had thrown an exception on loading. So I presume yes.

19 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

I also went into the strutConnectorWood.mu and fixed the misspelling strurConnectorWood and renamed the .png as well.

I choose not to change what it's working. Renaming the texture would break any hypothetical mod that would try to reuse it. Sometimes, it's better to live with the mistake than trying to fix it.

Edited by Lisias
bad grammars. X(

3 hours ago, Lisias said:

If you can toss over a PR, I can merge it as I have to rebuild anyway for 1.5.x

6 hours ago, RoverDude said:

If you can toss over a PR, I can merge it as I have to rebuild anyway for 1.5.x

How about  "pull requests seasons"? Regularly announcing that you are receiving pull requests, anticipating your time window to give Firespitter some care?

This appears to be working reasonably well. :) 

1 hour ago, Lisias said:

How about  "pull requests seasons"? Regularly announcing that you are receiving pull requests, anticipating your time window to give Firespitter some care?

This appears to be working reasonably well. :) 

tbh I always take PRs ;)  But Firespitter will get it's rebuild after a major release (i.e. 1.5).

37 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

tbh I always take PRs ;)  

Yep, but did you realized that it was your word that triggered these ones, didn't? :) 

Sometimes, all what people need is a kick in the... back :P to start pushing back their changes. :D 

3 hours ago, JH4C said:

I see there's a lot of files marked as updated in the repo; is it worth trying to piece things together myself, or should I just keep the faith a little longer?

Sorry, need more context.

I've already done the recompile for 1.5.x, just testing a couple of things before I push it.   But that's a DLL update.

I just came back to ksp after a long break and I'm having a problem with helicopter rotors, I'll skip to the end here and spare the details.

Using a fresh install of ksp 1.4.5, firespitter.

Whenever I use the FS copter rotor (using reaction wheels, FS steering disabled) as soon as I fly to 150 meters terrain altitude its like a switch is flipped and roll becomes...squirrely for lack of a better word.

149 meters terrain height everything is fine.

Installed atmosphere autopilot mod since I thought it was stock sas being weird and my heli flew even better,
I could do all kind of crazy maneuvers with it and the autopilot kept it rock steady...that is until I hit 150 meters radar altitude.

My question is this, What happens at that altitude?

Some notes on what I've learned:
Engines that use ModuleEnginesFX don't behave like this.
ksp 1.1.3 doesn't have this problem 1.2.2 onward does.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.