LLL - Lack Luster Labs - Development Thread

Lack

Hi, there!

I'm just dropping by to say I'm loving the SXT pack, especially the large cockpit. It works great as a shuttle cabin, a lot better than the stock MkIII one. You can see in this shuttle:

http://i.imgur.com/fPicLEv.png

The only thing missing now for my shuttle program is a good 2,5m payload bay. I'm improvising with Procedural Fairings, but the downside of that is that I have to jettison the cover and land with the bay open.

Any chance of a stocklike cargo bay for the pack?

try B9 they have some normal looking hangers which open... if your risking memory issues as is though ignore this statement.

try B9 they have some normal looking hangers which open... if your risking memory issues as is though ignore this statement.

I don't have memory issues, but I'm no longer using B9. The parts aren't stocklike enough for my tastes, and I'm trying to keep the mods I'm using as stock as possible.

And none of the B9 payloads fits a stock 2,5m part. There are a couple of older mods with cylindrical cargo bays, but they don't look very good.

Of course, I can just use the newly released KSO, but I like to design my own shuttles with a bit more freedom.

Errm, yes they do, HL bays fit 2.5m parts.

You mean this HL bay?

YqAX6eI.png

I wouldn't quite call that a fit. Sure, I could use an adapter, but it would look really ugly, and I would be better off using the B9 cockpits, which are the only ones that fit well with the B9 bays. The S2 bay is a better fit, but it also looks way better with the S2 cockpit it was designed to fit into. So I guess what everyone here seems to be saying is that I shouldn't use the SXT cockpit, and should just stick with B9.

Anyway, I'm sorry I stopped by to drop a suggestion. I already derailed the thread enough. Please ignore whatever I've said.

I wouldn't quite call that a fit. Sure, I could use an adapter, but it would look really ugly, and I would be better off using the B9 cockpits, which are the only ones that fit well with the B9 bays.

Actually, there's no B9 cockpit that fits with HL bays. All B9 planes using a HL fuselage use a HL front adapter, which tapers to 2.5m. And they do look quite good, BTW.

Not derailing at all, I'm planning some cargo holds. I'm busy this week, so I'll try to get round to responding properly over the weekend, and hopefully get some new stuff released.

take your time :P i've just been trying to get 1.25m parts to look 1.25m instead of 5m... so i know how tough it can be. so relax take your time and don't forget the cake.

I'd like to chip in here and make some requests, Lack, since you're working on new stuff. :) Well, requests and/or ideas, anyway.

1. Regarding cargo bays: How about versions of all of the bays you already have, except the doors open in a more low-profile fashion, i.e. popping open slightly, and then the doors slide down INSIDE the bay, along the side walls. This would allow more freedom to attach parts to the outside surfaces, at the expense of a slight reduction in interior space. :

1a. Also, perhaps a selection of bays designed to open on the side (yes, I know, they can be rotated). I mean that instead of 2 doors that open wide, make it one single door that opens out to become a ramp (the inside face of the door being designed to be flat and smooth so as to function as a ramp), with the floor of the bay being on the 'side' where the hinge is. This would allow a ship to land, and then the bay door opens out to touch the ground so that a rover can drive directly in and out. I see this as being most useful in 2x2, 4x2, and 4x4 sized bays, with the door on the 4x2 being on the short '2' side. :) Ooh, for that matter, maybe some bays with a door/ramp on one END! Or, even better, just make a hinged door with extending ramp that can attach to the end of a current cargo bay or even the 'engine fairing' parts. Although, it would be better to have a dedicated part with a flat floor, IMO. Basically just a hull section without ends, a tube. :) Once again, I'm seeing this as being most useful in 2x2 and 4x2 sizes.

2. Also, I'm always looking for more and better cockpits and command pods. How about a new series of more sci-fi-ish parts, designed to look like SPACESHIP cockpits? Much like your first and second series of pods, but with some new and varied designs. Perhaps something for the 2x2 hull shape? Or maybe a new 4x2 horizontal design. Yes, there's the 4x2 Hog cockpit, but it's kind of... well, plain, and to me it really only looks good as a rover cockpit. And I don't mean just rescaling the smaller 2x1 and 1x1 parts, I could do that myself if I wanted to. Anyway, sorry if I seem demanding, I'm just trying to make my point. :)

3. Finally, we (I) can always use more adapter parts, especially now that you've introduced new hull sizes. 1x3, 1x4, 2x2, and apparently a 2x6 fuel tank that says in the description that it 'fits the 2x6 hull part', of which there is no such thing as far as I can tell. :) So, like I said, all sorts of adapters to blend all of these various new pieces/parts together would always be welcome.

Okay, anyway, all of the above are requests, and/or food for thought, whichever you prefer. :) As always, I look forward to whatever you come up with next, my friend.

Later, Lack. :D

Can I ask a question on cargo bays/rover bay? How do you put stuff in them? Do you still need to put a docking adapter or decoupler IN the bay?

Yes. The best cargo bays have a smaller attach node slightly farther in than their main one which these can be attached to.

Hint hint Lack :wink: . . .

You mean this HL bay?

http://i.imgur.com/YqAX6eI.png

I wouldn't quite call that a fit. Sure, I could use an adapter, but it would look really ugly, and I would be better off using the B9 cockpits, which are the only ones that fit well with the B9 bays. The S2 bay is a better fit, but it also looks way better with the S2 cockpit it was designed to fit into. So I guess what everyone here seems to be saying is that I shouldn't use the SXT cockpit, and should just stick with B9.

Anyway, I'm sorry I stopped by to drop a suggestion. I already derailed the thread enough. Please ignore whatever I've said.

you could copy the folder/part and just rename it then make it smaller... it's a pain in the bum to find the model, config and mesh for it but it does mean you can make the cargobay smaller...

Hi, how could I modify the greenhouse to use it with TACLS? has somebody done that?

Just look into the TAC LS folder for whichever generator you want (carbon scrubber, water purifier, w/e). Copy the relative modules of each (from their respective config files) and either put them directly in the greenhouse config or download Module Manager and make a new config file like this:

@PART[2x1Greenhouse]
{
[Copy over each of the modules you want]
}

Put that new config in either LLL's folder or the one for TACLS.

PS: Alternatively, you can get my "optional config" which includes many neat little fixes and addatives, including the one above.

Edited by BananaDealer

you could copy the folder/part and just rename it then make it smaller... it's a pain in the bum to find the model, config and mesh for it but it does mean you can make the cargobay smaller...

nevermind. the game hates me messing around with nodes and definitions...

i can resize them but they have a gap where they should attach normally but if i try to modify where the node is i get a "script error" and i'm not that smart in computer language to fix it so i just decided to forget about it.

i sugest using the other cargobays suppiled. if you don't like it then i'm sorry you'll have to go find one or make one yourself.

Here's an idea; Rover fuselages! Take a standard circular fuselage, flatten a side, shift the COM as far towards the side you flattened as possible (to shift the COM closer to with wheelbase), and you've got the perfect piece to build a rover with. Alternatively, a radially attached piece that has the same effect, with the upside of not requiring seperate new parts for fuel tanks, monopropellent storage, and batteries.

Lack have you got the magical torque fixed yet?

And no it's not the bug that causes things to spin at low orbital velocities because when I decouple the base from the top of the LEM it stops spinning (it only spins when attached together)

And I've tested it with other vehicles and they don't spin

:P

Not derailing at all, I'm planning some cargo holds. I'm busy this week, so I'll try to get round to responding properly over the weekend, and hopefully get some new stuff released.

Great to hear that cargo bays are coming eventually. :)

Edited by DevL

hey check this out... i made a spaceplane (more like jet) that has 4 R.A.I.P.E.R. engines and looks badass!

link is here. if it doesn't work please suggest another image sharing site because imgur is ****

http://imgur.com/a/DtHJq#0

Just use your imgur link like this to make an album embedded

[imgur]DtHJq#0['/imgur]

(but without the ')

Also it would have been nice if we could actually see the spaceplane XD, it's a bit dark

Just use your imgur link like this to make an album embedded

(but without the ')

Also it would have been nice if we could actually see the spaceplane XD, it's a bit dark

[imgur]DtHJq#0">Javascript is disabled. View full album

thanks and i have to RE-create it now... i oversaved it with a crap plane ARG! i keep doing it :(

yeah sorry about the pics i'm a photographer so i have that ever annoying urge to say "this is no good AGAIN!" to most of my pictures but i'll quickly re-build it and get back to you with some SPH pics and some inflight pics...

the plane(ship) itself is hard to get off the runway (keeps sverving to the left or right then barrel rolls across the runway) and even worse to land (only ever landed it once... at the speed of 300m/s) and it uses cheaty fuel generators and B9 and firespitter parts.

so all in all it's purely just for show because i was bored (i finished career) i'll try making a double aircraft carrier with wheels and rockets to get off the ground next... see if i get frustrated or angry first.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

i can't re-create it :'( the thrust seems to stay at 90 (when full throttle on runway) when it says the engines give out 170 in atmosphere.... GRRRRAGH!

i have infact made the Raven's (name i gave it) big brother/sister.

(B9 and LL parts mix so well!)

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by AntiMatter001

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.