What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Only glorious serial staging was used on this rocket!

You seriously need to YouTube that launch. Having played with NovaPunch 5m parts for a while now, I always thought "who could POSSIBLY need more than five meters of rocket??"

What're you pushing at the base there, like 20? Need a kerbal next to it for scale!

You seriously need to YouTube that launch. Having played with NovaPunch 5m parts for a while now, I always thought "who could POSSIBLY need more than five meters of rocket??"

What're you pushing at the base there, like 20? Need a kerbal next to it for scale!

24 meters, 29 with the boosters.

Already posted the recording of the test launch of the booster itself, , but since you asked. :)

I tried to build a heavy-lifting SSTO using the new RAPIER engine. Tried. I present to you the HSTp-1 Atlas, the biggest flying brick since a delivery truck bound for Shady Steve's Discount Brick Emporium had an unfortunate encounter with one bound for the Rockomax Conglomerate warehouse:

WdFYYoll.png1xEb3s1l.png

In the foreground of the first picture is an unmanned station core which I was using as test cargo. I figured that if it couldn't at least get that to orbit, the plane was a failure. Spoiler alert: it didn't, so it was.

I didn't take any screenshots of its actual crashes, but might I say they were spectacular. I'm not abandoning it yet -- I think there's still hope of making a usable craft out of this design -- but as it stands, it has a better chance of success cooking breakfast for the crew than it has of ever seeing space.

Omaigerd I did! I successfully landed on Mars and returned. You would not believe how close to zero the fuel and supplies was O_o

Like... This close!

lowSupplies.png

I thought I had stocked up enough on fuel and supplies, but Mars threw me a curve ball. The return took place when Mars was the furthest away from the sun, so the return took more time than I thought it would.

Will post video... soon

Edited by maccollo

Did lots of short hops around Kerbin to different biomes with the Goo. Still rubbish at landing accurately, but getting better. Then I landed on the Mun again, WITHOUT tipping the lander over this time.

I've been playing with KSPI recently, having a great time with the expanded science. Since I maxed out the impactor experiments on Minmus and Duna I decided to send one to Gilly. Jeb and Bob brought along six seismic survey units and a pair of expendables (didn't want to bring more or it would lag terribly) and will do some additional science in Eve orbit. I also sent along a robotic lander for Eve proper with them. Bill is commanding a science mission to Moho orbit, bringing along a lab to do SCIENCE near the Sun (the ship with the centrifuge). They'll also rendezvous with an earlier Moho probe that was thoughtlessly sent without an antenna and retrieve the science for transmission.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

No lag even with FRAPS running! Do you have a supercomputer or something?!

I the footage up most of the time to make things appear more dynamic.

The first stage lags a bit, but it's not to bad, but that's without launching a complicated payload. The mars launch lagged to all hell.

Speaking of which.

http://youtu.be/mh1-VZ8Bu34

Every phase of this mission after LEO came uncomfortably close to failing. This isn't like the moon where it's the same every time. Mars is inclined and has an elongated orbit, so the delta V requirement is different each time. The transfer stage to Mars and then back to Earth both came within 100 m/s of the delta v budget. That's 100 m/s out of 20350 m/s O_o.

Edited by maccollo

Not so much in the game as around the game to find some parts I would like to use in a spacestation.

Still grumpy about my inability to built a stable spaceplane under FAR and DRE.

And surfing the web, finding this and getting blue about very probably never going up there by myself.

Threw together a quick ion probe (my previous distaste was clearly born of too large a probe, and ions are rather ideal for this mission anyway) and launched it on that same old Aleph Tank launcher. It's technically outdated technology, but it does lift the Aleph Station fuel tank module to orbit without using any of it and still having plenty left to deorbit, so when I need to launch something smaller, further and don't want to design a new lifter, I throw it on that. The goal? To do science extremely close to the sun.

1lvC62.png

Launch went basically perfectly, managed to get a sun periapse of about 0.2 Gm before using any xenon at all. So, with the 1600 units of xenon, the four Z-400s and the many solar panels, I may be able to transmit orbital data from all over the place. It has gravitics, thermal and barometric instruments and the lightest of antenna. Might check if the sun has an atmosphere using the barometer, which was really only put there to balance the probe out.

zbzTFS.png

So, that IonSun probe there is 20 days from periapse, the Laythe probe is 100 days from encounter... why not mess around with spaceplanes? Still haven't gotten the hang of turbojets - the change to higher tech seems to have made my flights almost worse. This, for example, didn't really get anywhere.

5awQLZ.png

Then I tried out the Mk2 fuselage a little, and built a spaceplane that fell short of orbit, but managed a suborbital. I'll try adding more fuel, I've had that problem with nuclear engines before - underestimating their fuel usage, that is. Might stick a couple of additional intakes on, too.

FjrMvD.png

This plane starts off tipped as far back as it will go: trying to pitch up more will destroy all the engines if you don't wait for takeoff. Fortunately, it takes off without needing much runway to accelerate, as you can tell from the speedometer below. This is a takeoff speed, not coming in to land.

cnhflz.png

After some failed attempts, I finally managed to rescue Kirrim from Minmus. It took me a very long time and two different rescue ships (the first one had no RCS and ran out of electric charge), but the moment I got the ******* to grab the ladder was one of the most rewarding moments I've had in this game.

I attempted to build, fly, and land a jet-powered plane (with a rocket booster - why not?)

It's certainly ugly, but mostly functional.

[imgur]Q9Ftv[imgur]

Hmmm....where's your center of lift relative to your center of mass when you're coming in to land? I'd wager the CoL is further forward than the CoM at that point, which would explain your pitch problems at low throttle. You might want to take a look at what they're both doing at different angles of attack.

I've started my first station (Called AX1) at 300K around Kerbin. I plan on using it as a refueling & personnel exchange station. Right now its just an empty hitchiker container and some jr & senior docking ports. I'm going to stack some other stuff onto it as well. This will give me practice in rendezvous and docking. I also mistakenly sent Jeb up in an experimental probe orbiting Kerbin in an odd orbit and when I send my standby rescue craft its first mission will be to get Jeb and return him to Kerbin and im going to put some other oddball on the experimental probe... It would be an absurd burn to go from this experimental probe orbit to AX1 (about a 45deg inclination change).

I've been talking too much about Eve landings recently, so I ended up building a new lander, trying to improve upon the previous mission. This time I have enough delta-v to land basically anywhere, stronger connections for the drogue chutes, real landing legs instead of girders to soften the impact, and enough TWR for the upper stages.

eve_lander_test_1.jpg

The lander has three core stages, two rings with a total of 9 pairs of asparagus boosters, and a ring of solid boosters to help it take off from Kerbin without dropping other stages.

eve_lander_test_2.jpeg

Parachute tests went really well, so it's possible that this time I won't need to slow down with engines before deploying drogue chutes.

eve_lander_test_3.jpeg

Landing is still a bit problem. The basic structure can withstand heavy abuse, but Aerospikes are too heavy for their connections, and they may fall off if I don't soften the impact with engines.

Ladders and support ships are still needed before I launch this to Eve.