What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I fiddled with spaceplanes more or less all day today, moving on from what I did yesterday. It took many design revisions, but eventually I came up with something that I was quite happy with: could easily make a 100x100 km orbit with a few tons of payload despite my terrible piloting skills with plenty of delta-V left over for maneuvering and returning. Now, to do it all again but bigger and better...

Plus, it looks really cool when you deorbit over the terminator:

EiJQe3e.jpg

I did the Deep Diver Challenge, after two disqualified tries because I didn't read the rules. :D

Also, my signature no longer fit inside the actual signature box, so I had to copy and paste the whole thing to a post in the Kerbal Network subforum, said post is accessible in the link in my signature. The post will hold much more stuff than my actual signature did.

Doing lotsa stuff today. I just finished a range test of Jeb's jet, I'm calling it the "Skywrangler".

Here he is back at KSC after a somewhat successful test (I.E. I ran out of fuel and had to glide the rest of the way).

d3592569a9f89e9ec84b1ecd785409e9.png

The darn thing is actually pretty good on gas. Here's a map of my route; I landed on that island before coming back.

f4f271f45f48f3436daa8cca4e033080.png

What kind of range would you put on this route? trying to figure that out.

Made my first spaceplane in 1.0.5 sandbox. Actually my first one since 1.0.2, since I mostly did rocket stuff in 1.0.4.

DaseVMa.jpg?1

Either SSTOs have gotten a lot easier since 1.0.2 or I've gotten a lot better at building them; with 6 Whiplashes and 3 Vectors, the creatively-named Mark I is much less of a monstrosity than my attempts at non-TweakScaled Mk3 SSTOs in 1.0.2. Admittedly it can't actually do anything useful once on-orbit, but it had plenty of surplus fuel so adding docking systems, a passenger cabin, or a payload bay shouldn't be too hard.

TYuHnBa.jpg?1

Only after it had made orbit did I notice a small design flaw.

CfKLE0T.jpg?1

Reentry went as well as could be expected...

3jnaPyx.jpg?1

...but it made a safe landing in spite of the missing chine.

I still wish we had some 2.5-meter supersonic jets and intakes (among other things), but at least Mk3 SSTO spaceplanes seem to be possible these days with a (mostly) civilized number of parts.

Finally got around to launching an interplanetary mission, to Eve, without bothering to wait for a launch window because impatience:

tMuFuFA.png

Got an inelegant science-lander thingy (bottom right) to visit Gilly and either land or crash-land on Eve, and a scanning satellite with a liquid-fuel stage to reach Gilly + a ludicrously high delta-V ion engine for whatever else I end up using it for.

Meanwhile, my mission to farm a little more science from Minmus turned into Three Stooges nonsense. I sent two kerbals and 3 tiny probes away from Kerbin, then realized they had no parachutes and no way to disconnect the pod (but they did have a heatshield, uselessly stuck in the middle of the rocket). So I sent a modified version after them, with one kerbal in a 3-seater pod, and the ability to return home without exploding. Both ships made it to Minmus, but that's only the beginning...

The probes popped off and landed just fine, but it turned out they had no batteries other than the 10 EC in the probe core, and I hadn't put on enough RCS thrusters, so they could only translate on 2 axes. They had docking ports, but the mothership wobbled so much that docking was almost impossible, especially with the inadequate RCS. So, no refueling from the stupid amounts of fuel in the mothership, and I had to send kerbals out to collect the science from each device manually. Good thing I brought extra probes... And somehow I was orbiting retrograde.

Eventually, while juggling two probes with barely any fuel left, racing to avoid leaving either landed in the dark to die of power loss, I was forced to launch both towards the mothership at almost the same time. And, due to a combination of idiocy and all the vehicles having the same name... I accidentally flew one probe towards the other instead of the mothership. By the time I realized this, I was down to a few units of monopropellant. So, I inched it closer to the other probe, switched to the one that still had fuel, and after considerable amounts of Kraken-induced docking port magnet wobbling...

8fHkOKk.png

I proceeded to waste the last of my liquid fuel by firing both sets of engines in opposite directions, but managed to make a rendezvous with the mothership with RCS, and the very unintelligent pair of probes made it there safely, just in time for Kerbinrise:

jy6nmDb.png

Not having much use for the fused probes with 10 units of monoprop between them, I smashed them into the surface after retrieving the science. Things went better after that; landed the last probe on the pole, somehow managed to dock it again, dropped the kerbals off in their rescue boat (after a ridiculous retrograde rendezvous), and they all made it home safely (with the science, of course). I even managed to do a powered landing with the overengineered and under-parachuted vehicle they left behind, landing the probe back on Kerbin safely. Other than the exploded engine, the very exploded transfer/reentry stage, and being embedded in the ground...

UPJoH0W.png

Finally managed to create something reasonably like an Ithacus/Pegasus SSTO, Mine's rather smaller, with a 2-man lander can as the command module and a Hitchhiker can as the passenger section. Stability on the way up has proven to be the main issue, and thus far my Mk 3 design can reach space but only on a sub-orbital trajectory, but it's a whole lot better than I was able to manage in earlier versions of KSP. I'm currently using 6 aerospike engines, am going to try a mix of those with Sabre engines next.

Today I finally figured out why Remote tech didn't work out for me the first time I tried the mod. Omnidirectional antennas won't allow a connection to Mission control unless it's on the active vessel (the one your controlling at the moment). Had put up a relay system in 1.0.4 that I just couldn't get to work. Well now I know why. It might be a very basic thing, but I was a big revelation when I figured it out.

I intercepted a stranded kerbal in an inclined, eccentric orbit.

Without any tracking station upgrades.

I eyeballed my orbit to match his ellipse, got the intercept range low enough that it showed up in ship view (so under 100 km, I think), then dead-reckoned a 2km intercept by pointing my ship in what seemed the right direction to counter the icon's movement across the starfield, got my intercept velocity down to about 100m/s, and swapped to the stranded kerbal and had him chase after the rescu craft, waving franticaly.

I ended up in the emergency ward today after enduring hours of excruciating pain from the moment I woke.

This didn't stop me from Kerbaling...

Ck4teCu.jpg

Craft thread - MV Ady Gil Replica

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/139605-Begun-the-Whale-Wars-have%21-Sea-Shepherd-MV-Ady-Gil-Posting-from-the-emergency-ward?p=2297143#post2297143

Tried making the Serenity in KSP, now that we have the cargo ramp and bigger engines. Unfortunately due to the fact that the ramp is clipped into the top layer of the plane, it starts to oscillate, which results in decapitation of the Serenity (which is more serious than losing the primary buffer panel). I will try to find a solution.

-- quick edit--

If you know the solution, please let me know!

9D2DE1ADD977C80E35891483A7C779559405B5CB

66AF5C223FD108CBC1AEE60FACF31AB5CFFC6FAE