What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Achieved my first manned RP-0 rendezvous.

fny66Pf.png

I actually *ALMOST* had them docked. Unfortunately my RCS was pretty badly balanced and I just couldn't get them quite there. For a few minutes I actually had them touching noses but just not perfect enough.

6frMWdc.png

At any rate, I'm going to be taking a break from RP-0.

Finalized the design for the Journeyman probe. That'll be phase one of VENTURE. :D

Yes, there will be gratuitous screenshots from this mission. Journeyman 1 & 2 launch on day 72, bound for Sarnus and Plock-Karen respectively.

Ak77qPO.png

Edited by Captain Sierra

Well, due to very sudden, and for Mission Control unexpected, budget constraints (read: lack of time to play KSP) not much have happened lately.
Project Orpheus have suffered setbacks. It was planned to move testing forward by using the first successfully orbited Orpheus_X5 as compatibility test with Nomad as well as an unmanned descent into Eve. Unfortunately, before docking it was discovered that the last lifting stage of the Magma_A MkII superlifter couldn't be decoupled, due to that another component locked them together. Mission Control was very surprised by this, while Bob sighed heavily. Unfortunately there was no other option than terminating the very expensive Orpheus_X5.

screenshot2980j.jpg

Budget was stolen from healthcare and education, and an Orpheus_X6 was built and launched. It very narrowly made it into orbit. Magma_A can't do it, Magma_B don't fit together with Orpheus in the 32-bit client. Magma_A Mk II is a special modification to give Magma_A a bit more umpf, and can just about do it with very carefully managed climb.

There we are, and another day we will try docking Orpheus and Nomad.

screenshot2983j.jpg

1 hour ago, Bubbadevlin said:

It is a fully stock converting VTOL.

That's awesome... but how? I can't recognize the part you used for hinges.

Or... I kinda' see now. But sill don't understand.

Edited by Evanitis

25 minutes ago, Evanitis said:

That's awesome... but how? I can't recognize the part you used for hinges.

Or... I kinda' see now. But sill don't understand.

Well, i will explain it fully when i release the craft, however it works by having a spiral of Ant engines which moves. Surrounding that inner core is a structural fuselage that is kept from rotating on the central core with breaks. The structural fuselage is decoupled, and held in place by your typical wheel bearing. The structural fuselage acts like a sort of "skin" allowing me to stabilize the central axle, but at the same time having it be the same craft. The entire thing then turns by having little cubic struts which the air breaks collide with, spinning the main axle and in turn the engines. This means that while the craft is technically two crafts, the engines and body are all one craft, and you never have to swap to the other craft

If you actually understand that, then great, sorry, i am bad at explaining, and its really kinda complex 

A request to add fuel storage to the Minmus facility led to experiments with a delivery system capable of Kerbin return in a bid to cut down on the growing amount of scrap metal which is causing a slight eccentricity in Minmus orbit. Initial testing proved successful with the main body able to return home, although re-entry testing was not carried out.

screenshot4_zpse3bgh2u6.png

screenshot8_zps8elmlwbu.png

A slight miscalculation in the weight/available traction ratio meant that even with the fuel transferred to the return unit and sent on its way the tank couldn't be positioned.

screenshot7_zpsda4dzgte.png

The question now is wether to simply stuff an orange tank in a Deliverance mk2 or pull the damm thing into position with a succession of ground winches.

36 minutes ago, Bubbadevlin said:

If you actually understand that, then great, sorry, i am bad at explaining, and its really kinda complex 

Thanks, I actually did. Very nice solution. It's a lot harder to spot and understand the mechanic than on that stock helicopter I saw.

So, how about them rescue contracts in career?

15ZP2ka.png

I don't get how the Astronaut complex can only hold 12 Kerbs at tier 2. I mean, it's not like each kerbal has his own luxury condo built into the complex. (Or do they?)

Edited by Kuansenhama

I built a hydroplane. For those who don't know what that is, it's a jet- or piston- powered boat which goes so fast that it skims and bounces across the water (planing). With the afterburner on, it actually got up to a fairly comparable real world speed of roughly 140 mph. Sadly, it didn't create the glorious rooster tail of its RL counterparts.

Edited by Gwtheyrn
correction

When I told the engineering team that I wanted a plane with "vertical takeoff and landing" capability, I really should have been more specific.

ZToTp3W.png

4FSriGX.png

K8h79Bt.png

W7UELIa.png

Still, this will save a fortune on runway maintenance.

Edited by Mock Turtle

Did my first (just a tiny bit irregular) space-shuttle mission. A 42t fuel pod delivered to a circular orbit beyond Minmus and back home. Let's hope the STS Challenge comitee finds both the craft and the landing acceptable. Both were pretty much borderline cases.