What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

1 hour ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

Using a game that's probably about 5 versions behind on my school computer, I tried to launch a three-manned mission to Jool and back using only an orange tank.

Long story short- it exploded.

Stick one of the short 2-meter fuel tanks (an "X200-8") between your engine and the orange tank and see if it still 'splodes...twas a problem with how heating affected with certain engine/tank combos back in the day. Orange tank/Mainsail was utterly notorious.

31 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Stick one of the short 2-meter fuel tanks (an "X200-8") between your engine and the orange tank and see if it still 'splodes...twas a problem with how heating affected with certain engine/tank combos back in the day. Orange tank/Mainsail was utterly notorious.

The problem with it exploding was decoupling. I split the 2.5 m orange tank into four 1.25 Nerv engines then put decouplers under it then put another spilt adapter on those, that's what made it explode.

(Hope that wasn't too confusing, it sounded confusing to me)

On 12/12/2016 at 7:55 PM, dangerhamster said:

Sorry for the above blank quote, My tablet browser really doesn't like this forum and wouldn't let me do anything at all after I accidentally hit "quote"

Today I stole was inspired by a Mk3 craft from Torio on KerbalX.  As it's a pain connecting my games machine to the internet, I built my own version based on the 2 pictures. I was quite pleased with the results as the pictures didn't really show all the details.  It took a couple of tweaks but now flies really well.

I've also been completing some contracts as, having committed to 15 already, no more were appearing in Mission Control.  

What is it with pilots needing rescue at mountain skimming heights around the Mun and Minmus? Who launches these craft and why can't they conduct their own reduces??  I feel we should be told! :wink:

Edited by Clipperride

This is happening right now!

h6lWUH2.png

Jeb is approaching a 26km periapsis around Slate where he will capture for 500 m/s. Was quite surprised at how low it is TBH. :P A Clean Slate, otherwise known as Astro Explorer IV, will be the first spacecraft to get to one of the OPM planets and land on one of them, specifically Slate. That 4 ton lander packs a lot of Delta V and if needed, Jeb can leave the seat and use his jetpack to get to orbit. The only problem is, there is no probe core on the main ship and even if there was, it would need a seat. So this is going to have to be VERY close.

But that's it for now.

Fire

Edit: And landed!

jP4zE6q.jpg

Edited by Firemetal

On 17/05/2013 at 3:06 PM, Xeldrak said:

So, what did you do in KSP today? I'm working on my project to touch down on every object in the system without mechjeb, so everything is done by hand. I launched a rocket (Project D-Man)to Duna yesterday and today I landed on Duna . After taking off, I realized that I could land on Ike too. This way I don't have to visit the Duna-system again. However - it seems I did a slight miscalculation and only reached Ike orbit....with a 30 km apoapsis.

So, I converted a space-tug I had in storage into a interplanetary towing service and left for Duna. Yeah, it has mechjeb, because I did all the landing allready and its better than just leaving my faithfull kerbals in Ike orbit (my project - my rules :wink: ). So both ships met in Ike-orbit, where I accidently triggered the last stage seperator on D-Man just after docking. However after a few months of waiting for the right planetary alignment - the D-Man capsule is on its way home :D And yes, I did not have to attend any lectures today - so there was plenty of time for KSP :wink:

So, what about you?

i am working on various asteroid related projects, based on some inspiration i found from some isaac arthur videos, and while i was doing that, one of the moons of kerbin grabbed onto an asteroid and tugged it into orbit around kerbin, im not messing with you guys i didnt put that rock there http://imgur.com/a/2iiSi

edit: 2 were pulled into orbit naturally, i just found another one orbiting on almost the same path as the 1st, so neat how that happened, just so cool

Edited by noobsrtoast

767B9068141B8C1F4258B1E7253B3827D52025A5

Mun base! Despite being low part count, being closer than 400m to the big one (supplies and such) has a massive impact on FPS, no idea why. Timewarping instantly removes lag, so maybe it's the weight and landing gear, maybe it's the inflatables, no idea... playable, at least.

A tickertape parade was scheduled for Jeb, Bob, and Bill as they succeeded in pushing themselves home from the Mun! They joyously rode around the space center to the thunderous applause of all the KSP employees. They will enjoy a much needed vacation for a couple weeks before I send them up again.

Much was learned from their trip, and we continue to gain science from the Surface Experiment Package they left on the lowlands. We have learned how to build the PackRat Rover and use a new Seismic Accelerometer science instrument. Both things are quickly being stuffed into the Mun 2 launch vehicle for the next expedition by Val and a couple of other Kerbalnauts chosen at random.

In the meantime, engineering has been busy building the Minmus Flyby 2 mission. A redesign of the heat shield should result in a successful return to Kerbin. It is currently sitting in LKO ready to be sent off on its way.

From seeming disaster to tickertape parades. I love KSP!

5 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

I read that button description as "Arm Cannon".  

I'm a "Power Bomb" player hehe :cool: Just cause they clean the room in a second.

Also I promise to a co-player on KerbalX to share my kind of a Pegasus-XL launcher and so restart to work on. I made it under 1.0.2 and at this time just the Wheesley turbofan was available. The carrier was so underpowered that I just kept the launcher called Chrysaor (the brother of Pegasus), then... why not trying the Goliath? I mean, I never think about it!

And the result is encouraging.

Here is Chrysaor :

8XfQWLL.png

Grcwccp.png

Its carrier, called Kalliroe (the wife of Chrysaor) is by far the ugliest airplane I ever build in KSP! A shame as I always loved the Tristar.

But at least it made its job now :

jCcaEpR.png

Less than 100 parts. It's an obligation for my 13 Gb space available laptop...

GI5JqaE.png

Aaaannnd...

ldzmLMc.png

HERE WE GO!

VciHmPX.png

First I noticed an embarrassing typo in Jeb's last flag and by extension my last post which had been helpfully pointed out :). A mini mess indeed.  I didn't correct it.

then I brought home my big three from Minmus.

the. I did some more simulation testing of my Duna Ascent Vheical only to find that it could not make orbit (possibly because of a bad ascent profile).  Likely culprit is tha the Dunatian atmosphere was eating thrust and isp from the mono prop thrusters far more than I'd expected.

my second generation DAV test landed with chutes and rockets in simulation and then took off achieving orbit on its own.  It is a two stage rocket meaning that it's only good for a single return.  No pictures yet as I'm not done fiddling with its aesthetics.  I'd like to deliver it to Duna on the same rocket as the Duna habitat which I haven't designed yet. 

I need to figure out how long each team will be on the surface and if I'm going to keep anyone in orbit.  I want to have team one go straight to Duna while team 2 overseas a small Ike mission and is available to help remote pilot a rover to team one if something goes wrong.  Team 2 would then collect the Ike team and head to base 2 on DAV 2 or an appropriate lander.

i want to keep the bases compact and nice looking but have habitations and supplies for 5 kerbals for an extended time on Duna.  I'm playing with a few ideas for how to do that and more importantly how to land that.

I got 180 tons into Kerbin Orbit with 5 mainsails.

And 16 Kickbacks, but come on. It had a TWR of 0.6 for a disturbingly long period of the gravity turn.

No pics as it'll be in the next video, but it's actually 3 craft: A surface driller, a transport ship, and an orbital refinery. I know hauling raw ore to orbit isn't all that efficient, but it's easier to decide what I want in orbit than on the surface, and its easier to construct things in orbit as well.

Yesterday I "built" a Kraken-drive by accident. Just tested some stuff on Eve and suddenly the Kraken attacked in a split-second.

eydy6e2y.jpg

BOOM. Only the Tank survived the skirmish.

tkj7h5ul.jpg

WOW look at the speed :o

"Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the FL-T800 Fuel Tank. Its continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before.."
(Can u hear the music?)

Conclusion: Do not use physical time warp on Eve :sticktongue:

14 hours ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

The problem with it exploding was decoupling. I split the 2.5 m orange tank into four 1.25 Nerv engines then put decouplers under it then put another spilt adapter on those, that's what made it explode.

(Hope that wasn't too confusing, it sounded confusing to me)

Ah - I think I understand; you either had the worthless NERVA sheath collision on staging problem, and/or the its-not-as-secure-as-you-think-because-you-can't-make-things-merge-once-they've-been-split problem. My solution from those days was to put a Modular Girder XL directly under the orange, then slap a quad of BZ-52s or Cubic Octagonal struts on the underside of the tank and stick my NERVAs on the end of them, and attach the mess to the booster via the Girder. And then strut the living crap out of the whole thing...

Here - I even made an imgur album a long time ago (november 2013, so ca. v. 0.22) detailing the process. It might be useful or not.

(1.1.3, FAR to go) I took the latter part of my day off on Monday to catch up on sleep and do some Christmas shopping, and wound up not playing the game until yesterday afternoon. I started that session with an evaluation of my current technology for its viability for a trip to Duna. It looks like most of what I've got could do Duna with little or not adjustment as is - the Piper Alpha 7 refineries being a notable exception, since they don't carry sufficient fuel for a successful Duna landing and don't at present incorporate chutes. I may ultimately make a few tweaks to some of the others just to be on the safe side. It is looking like I'll be going with an armada instead of a mothership when I go. Thirteen separate craft will be quite the challenge...

Once that was done, I went ahead and loaded Val, Jeb and Buremy up into a new Superfortress 7 passenger ferry and shot it into LKO, dubbing the craft Laggin' Dragon upon orbital insertion; Dragon is the replacement for Big Stink, which was lost a couple of days ago. Laggin' Dragon made its way to the Kerbinport space station, where Jeb was reunited with his ferry craft Strange Cargo and Buremy likewise was reunited with Next Objective. Next Objective had been previously loaded with tourists and VIPs headed to Minmus, so the craft shoved off from the station and made the burn for the minty moon, where it will arrive in twelve days. Meanwhile, Strange Cargo was dispatched to Mün to pick up a quartet of refugees needing transport back to Kerbin. It should arrive in just under two days. With a fresh junk-and-Kerbal mission to Minmus, a second Bill Clinton 7a grabber probe was dispatched that way to end my day.

This morning I had an overnight shift and played the game for a few hours. Not much was done; I sent the Old Bessie 7 fuel hauler craft at both the Munport and Minmusport space stations to the Piper Alpha and Deepwater Horizon refineries respectively, conducting precision landings and refueling both craft. They were then sent back up to their respective space stations to await the arrival of the incoming ferry craft and refuel them when the time comes. During the process of refueling the craft at Deepwater Horizon, I fulfilled part of a contract to mine 600 units of fresh ore from Minmus. After I had returned both craft to their respective stations, I switched over to Kerbinport and was promptly awarded the rest of the contract - the ore hauler Nostromo was docked to Kerbinport and had 1100 ore in the tanks, which was enough as far as the game was concerned. Makes me glad I hadn't processed it yet. Finished my morning by refueling Laggin' Dragon with stores from an Auk III tanker spaceplane still docked to the station, then landing the plane successfully at KSC 09. Came within a hundred meters of the surface near Mount Killakerbal there about 60 klicks west of KSC - which was pretty hairy - but otherwise had an uneventful landing. Laggin' Dragon is slated to go to Duna when the time comes, and in the meantime she's available for missions if any arise, though I'll keep her berthed at Kerbinport for the time being.

I need to play with how I'm going to pack/ship/store this but this is the base configuration I'm considering for my Duna mission.

2va05j8.jpg

The greenhouses can supply in excess of 100 days of supplies for a 5 Kerbal team and its roomy enough to supply more than 90 days habitation for the same team (I think the numbers were 115 and 97 though the 115 doesn't fully consider the greenhouses productivity.  I need to add RCS to the pieces and test landing again with them docked to each other, using RCS, and in slightly different configurations.  I have enough supplies for well past its Hab value, switching a second greenhouse (and science lab) for more crew quarters would be much better.

My current idea (which needs testing) is to ship the pieces tightly packed in a payload rocket.  Assemble using an Orion crew capsule, and land it all as one piece.  The simulated test above used a base that had no docking ports and was pre-assembled.  Adding RCS will help with control during descent and assembly.  It won't need heat shields since it will be assembled in orbit.  I would prefer to be able to remote assemble everything but I might need to rely on crews to strut things.  That's on tomorrow's to-do list along with working out a work rover for the base and fixing aesthetics on my Duna Ascent Vehical.

To do:

1. Sim alternate configuration with increased Hab space and docking ports.
2. Sim "packed" configuration with orbital assembly.
3. Launch "Packed" configuration for tests on Minmus (sub-note: Teach Jeb to spell Minmus correctly).
4. Rebuild DAV so that I'm pleased with its look.
5. Finalize "Hermes" design.
6. Build work rover for Duna base.
7. Figure out how to get Base, Orion orbital tug, DAV, and Rover into few launches.
8. Start working on the KOSMOS mission.
9. Don't miss Duna window (T-100 days)

Theobles' Third is now orbiting Mun at the correct inclination.  In about half an orbit, it should have a rendezvous and he should have sufficient dV to make a Kerbin injection burn.  The idea now is to capture Theobles' Capsule, and Theobles' Second and stop spending money!!  Some back at KSC have begun to question the value of one random Kerbal's life.

Another two Klaw Return Vehicles have been launched.  The first to recover a spent Hammer SRB in Munar orbit, and the second to recover some as yet unknown bit of scrap from Kerbin orbit.  I do wish these wildcat space programs would liquid off or get it together...

Val made a safe return from Kerbin Prime Station.  Turns out her Mk1 and Mk1-2 Capsule combination is very slippery.  She landed far, far beyond her intended splashdown point.  Her spirits are high, despite the long trip home and the Station's fairing destroying all of the HG-5 relay antennas.  Luckily, all of the C-16s and C-16-Ss survived.  Kerbin Prime Station is ready for its first crew!  (and a new communications module)  Future expansions are planned, which will include additional living and storage space, a solar array, reboost engines, fuel storage, and eventually a proper habitation and observation ring.

On 12/13/2016 at 3:44 PM, Martian Emigrant said:

The Dark Arts are interesting. But I think I will stick to "Normal" rocketry.

ME

What is this witchcraft?  I see no engines!?

Edited by HalcyonSon

1 hour ago, HalcyonSon said:

What is this witchcraft?  I see no engines!?

Yes, it is "Witch Craft". A "Kraken Drive". I didn't invent the tech. This is the engine:

fAXcL88.png

Both parts of it are floating next to the ship. I forgot it's forbidden and used "Warp to next manoeuvre" the engine phased out of the fairing. The engine is actually "Debris" and has it's own trajectory.

Here is the craft since you seem interested:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9wauxldo5uwfcq3/Kraken Cracked v2_1.craft?dl=0

Place the ship on the Pad or Runway. Press "space", Engage SAS on :radial: Radial out, press "G" (Gear).

You will float like a toy balloon. Over 600m or 1000m if the drive hasn’t gone crazy on it's own. Disengage the gear for a moment the re-engage. Sometime it will engage if you jiggle the ship a bit with the SAS. As you get really fast select :prograde: Prograde. Do not use "Warp". Ever.

I am getting tired of the technology. I made a simpler engine but very unstable. Can't quite "Pin" the how and why. It doesn't seem to be ultimately usable. I will probably play a bit more with it. But unless I happen on a breakthrough...

ME

Edited by Martian Emigrant

Set up some coms sats. Was trying to develop a Nuclear space plane capable of traveling to the moons of Kerbin for multiple rescue contracts. Was having a very difficult time achieving the DV required. Last attempt was to use 3 NERVs. but the TWR wasn't high enough at ~.44 when the air breathers cut out to lift it into orbit.

56 minutes ago, Martian Emigrant said:

I made a simpler engine but very unstable. Can't quite "Pin" the how and why. It doesn't seem to be ultimately usable. I will probably play a bit more with it. But unless I happen on a breakthrough...

You tickle the Kraken's tail and expect stability? Those are dangerous grounds upon which you trod. :wink:

Started a new save, eggbox one version, got as far as my first rocket off the pad before a bug rendered the game unplayable (unable to select part or return to the space centre, basically button 'B' stops working - buttons still 'click' but the message "no target" displays sometimes and thats it).

have now given up until I here this utter shambles has been fixed.

Amazing, highly addictive game, utterly ruined through basic functionality not working reliably presumably down to a lack of testing on someones part.

Ho hum.