What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

PART TWO: To the Mun & Launching Munar Orbiter/Refueling Station!

So my earlier "test ship" (after not playing KSP in months) went so well, I decided to take it to the Mun!

zxyAsbs.jpg

Didn't capture the transfer itself (pretty standard stuff) but looks good in a steep inclined orbit (aka, I didn't get the equatorial orbit quite right and didn't want to re-do it).

However... running on fumes when I got there, it was time for a REFUELING MISSION!  Why not take advantage and make it an orbital station for Munar operations?

More photos below:

Spoiler

KbRhiHu.jpg

Lots of thrust & DV - surprisingly nimble for a heavy craft.

nmkSihz.jpg

Punching through the atmosphere

K4JGilt.jpg

Stable orbit and ready for Mun transfer

PKpw5UW.jpg

After some docking jiggering, dropped the engine stage and ready to refuel the Spirit of Jebediah.

trfvZXQ.jpg

Docked, refueling, and orbital surveying completed. Now I think we need a lander mission!

Vy5golz.jpg

Edited by scottadges

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

My airship is north of the great crater, and as for what is on the mountain..

Hide contents

That is a tracking station, one of the anomalies in the game.

Huh.  I just assumed they weren't "real."  Guess I figured I would have seen one when I went on a week long flight around a good chunk of Kerbin.

3 hours ago, Maelstrom Vortex said:

i upgraded the fusion power plant on kerbin to 16 GW output in intersteller extended, hooked up to 3 orbital relays.. and then took out my "pleasure craft" to see just how far the thing would now go on just atmopshere.

Can now hit altitudes between duna and Dres at mach 10. Thought I had gone retrograde at one point, but was actually going so fast out of atmosphere that I hadn't actually gone fully around kerbin to be retro-grade oriented.

your game lags a lot, you should look into how much  junk you have in orbit and remove anything you dont need. this happened to myself when i had 25 asteroids and  endless space junk. once i cleaned this up the lagging completely stopped.

Mocked up a new version of the Norge.  (You can read the adventures of the original version here.)

0Fulmgl.png

The new version has a landing deck on top...  Whether it remains depends on whether I can master this little beast:

Ld3yhKe.png

Something I am not having a great deal of success with.  I'm a planner and an engineer by nature, not a pilot.

4 hours ago, invision said:

your game lags a lot, you should look into how much  junk you have in orbit and remove anything you dont need. this happened to myself when i had 25 asteroids and  endless space junk. once i cleaned this up the lagging completely stopped.

Already working on it. Part of it is the streaming and the fact I had constant downloads from the GOES satellite running to my stream and the internet to twitch has been somewhat unstable lately for some unknown reason.

Edited by Maelstrom Vortex

well im dumb

i looked in misson control and saw a plant flag on duna, so i went to see where it was in orbit, wasnt in best spot but doable. so i made a rocket and pile drive through dunas atmosphere using it as my only source of slowing down, heat shield did a great job and i slowed down enough to come down and land.

feeling victorious i get out the ship, plant the flag  and then.......i noticed i never accepted the mission FML

11 hours ago, anti_con2 said:

trying to get to minmus but forgot which phase angle to launch at if I do a direct launch from kerbin, can someone tell me what a good phase angle for a direct launch to minmus?

If your node is at the six-o-clock position (looking down at Kerbin's north pole), you can burn for Minmus when it's anywhere from 1:30-3:00. Generally it's best to burn for Minmus at the ascending/descending node, about 900 m/s prograde and 300 normal (at the descending node) or anti-normal (at the ascending node). That said, you can do an initial prograde burn and then do a second burn on the normal axis at the ascending/descending node later if necessary. How that all translates into exact math, I couldn't say; that's just generally how I do it. I will say that the closer Minmus is to the 1:30 position, the less time it takes to get out there - I think the quickest I've gotten out to Minmus in the post-0.90 era is six days.

5 hours ago, invision said:

well im dumb

i looked in misson control and saw a plant flag on duna, so i went to see where it was in orbit, wasnt in best spot but doable. so i made a rocket and pile drive through dunas atmosphere using it as my only source of slowing down, heat shield did a great job and i slowed down enough to come down and land.

feeling victorious i get out the ship, plant the flag  and then.......i noticed i never accepted the mission FML

Can you pull the flag, go accept the contract, then re-plant the flag?

I started a new career on my modded version of ksp, that adds in a entire universe. Around 10-12 galaxies, and extreme amounts of planets stars and other stuff. Surpisingly, its not as laggy as I thought. 9-20 fps.

Continued on with my ocean-based study of Kerbin.  So far I'm up to my third vessel, with the fourth still in the design phase.  I'm also finally back online, so now I can share a few pictures.

cFOnAY2.png
The first vessel, the RV-1 'Zulu'

b5Du0iX.png
The upgraded sister ship, RV-2 'Pancho II'  (the first one had some... issues and had to be scrapped)

1BQ12K9.png
The faithful amphibious Science Truck helps our intrepid explorers find suitable spots to conduct experiments.

csJLYWf.png
It can also tow an optional Science Trailer to shore.

i39OCLv.png
I also made my first ever submarine, creatively named 'Mini Science Sub.'

Ov5BNmw.png
The newest vessel, the RV-3 'Jumanji' is capable of carrying all above listed auxiliary vessels, as well as a small helicopter.

bBiVzBg.png
Most recently, we ditched the helicopter and the sub to help reduce part count and general clutter.  Current mission: continue northwards to the ice caps... for science!!!

Edited by Slam_Jones

Did some shuttle missions to move scientists around and finally put a research lander on the Mun.

Finally unlocked enough tech that tonight I will probably spend tonight designing some kind of mining rover and tanker to deploy to Minmus, then some sort of tanker/tug expansion for the station there.

Then I'll be able to fuel manned missions to Duna. :-)

GxsbLis.png

Today, I built a 525 meter ladder.  With the launchpad elevation, it probably reached around 600m. At 400m of elevation, the ladders lost traction and Tedhat Kerman (RIP) began sliding down the ladder at physics warp speed, and lost half of the vertical speed no warp. Tedhat reached the top, and fell to his death. Then I decoupled the ladder and destroyed the launchpad and half of the associated structures.

Moral: Space ladders are fun

I learned my previously featured indestructible rover is not only almost indestructible but also has auto pilot capabilities. I was playing last night and took a minute to look away at the forums. While I thought my rover was sitting still when I get back to my game I have found my rover (it so happens) is conveniently rolling down a mountain side at over 40ms towards its destination. 46km journey ugh! 

37026636092_81e3d08af8_b.jpg

Well, I was like cool, lets play this out. Lets let it drive its self. It made it another kilometer before the rover decided it was time to hit the emergency break.

37056499681_df16e47313_b.jpg

While some how I can roll off a mountain, not touch the controls, and never wreck. I somehow manage to flip on the same hill three times on the way back to base (thankyou for quick saves).

I was going to finish up one of my station modules, but had a flash of inspiration to employ a trick I learned from Ven's Stock Part Revamp. This is the original model that I made for Pathfinder's Mule payload module:

DSBkcim.png

When you have DSEV installed along with Pathfinder, this is what the Mule will look like:

mOAehO2.png

Now I don't have to make another part! :)