What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Ooops! Megan wasn't very careful when putting her lander down... a bit too hard of a landing. Make that a 'planting'. Problems! To make matters worse, while out on EVA to investigate the extent of the damage, she slipped and fell between the lander's main fuel tank and side auxiliary tanks. She ended up impaling herself on a piece of... rebar?... ouch! That's going to leave a mark for sure.

She appears a bit panicked, ya think?!
SASV3de.png

Edited by LordFerret

1 hour ago, Pine said:

BTW, if you guys want the transfer angle from Soonah to Titanus, it's here:

Hide contents

JsVphpV.png

Thanks! That's about what I had approximated, but it's nice to have some confirmation.

On 7/28/2016 at 5:24 AM, Randazzo said:

Ran a Duna/Ike mission from start to finish with lots of time warp.

vMbQD7yh.png

41LsYK4h.png

Ht3TzaHh.png

UIrRN3oh.png

And my new wallpaper:

u5QRBQsh.png

What mod is that command module with the large door from?

11 hours ago, drh1961 said:

First time KSP user here.  What I did today in KSP is basically survive my first two stage rocket launches. Yesterday I was not surviving. Then today I discovered the drogue chute...

I recommend career mode for beginners. Because there are few parts at the beginning, so it isn't confusing.

Managed to get the ship from my 1.05 game imported into my 1.13 Current game , had to delte the landing gear an engines before I did the import , but now it flies again .

By pure luck when doing a video an uuing Camera Tools I got these two pics .

Mill%20Moon%202.png

Mill%20Moon%201.png

15 hours ago, LordFerret said:

The game has been fine (term used loosely) up until now... but starting today, this afternoon, I notice some graphics weirdness going on. Like... what the... ?????

Qw4UJ6Q.png

ewuTcQH.png

8-bit KSP! 

Took a slimmed down version of the Eve Redux, named the Eve Aero to the purple planet for a return mission.

kS5Caiy.png

526f7Th.png

rjN5vin.png

YJJ6bsz.jpg

KMezKUU.jpg

The image of the launch appears to show that the pilot has gone on vacation, but this was due to game remaining focused on the base section, that contain the ISRU components and an empty lander can, rather than the departing ship. Not what you want when taking off from Eve, but thankfully swap active ship keys came to the rescue.

Gilden is now sitting happily in a near 170km orbit.

Edited by purpleivan

On 26/07/2016 at 11:59 AM, Alchemist said:

I launched a satellite. From KSC2. Delivering the rocket by a plane.

This is making me think about taking another crack at my "Plan - B" challenge, but aiming a little further than Mun this time.

I still really want to airdrop my rocket at the KSC2, but I might have to give up on that as your launcher delivery method looks so much more reliable.

I did the my first legit Mun mission in a while. I even managed to get a rover down on this one. Unfortunately, something's fishy with the command seat, and it won't let me have my kerbal back. Good thing I brought a spare.

cHmxEFy.png

I believe I can FINALLY call the "Duna-Ike Invasion Fleet" mission a success--and more importantly, COMPLETE! (20 launches. 16 separate interplanetary craft, some targeting Duna-not-Ike, several targeting Ike-not-Duna.  All in ONE TRANSFER WINDOW.  I think I can safely say that a project of that magnitude is something less than entirely sane--at least, in a career game.)

The original goal had been all-stock except for a couple visual-beautification mods.  In the end, I added KAC (for what I trust are obvious information-management reasons) and KAS (for pipes, since working around the limitations of stock docking ports is too much 'work' and not enough 'fun' for me anywhere except the tabletop-flat KSC grounds and Minmus Flats).

But I am now set for fuel in Duna-Ike local space forever.  7 of those 20 launches were dedicated to this:

http://s570.photobucket.com/user/srpadget/library/Ike Fuel-Refinery Outpost?sort=2&page=1

Yes, it's more complex than it might strictly need to be.  But I hardly ever design for aesthetics, and I rather like the appearance of those tanker trucks.  :-)

Edited by Srpadget
Dangit, I still can't seem to insert screenshots reliably

2 hours ago, Srpadget said:

es, it's more complex than it might strictly need to be.  But I hardly ever design for aesthetics, and I rather like the appearance of those tanker trucks.  :-)

Fotillas do my heart good :)

-------------------

I myself wasted the day getting this totally silly and unnecessary thing to oribt.  It can get there with 1000m/s to spare, which is just too little to do anything useful without refueling.  So it's a failure.

Mk4 SSTO 01

Mk4 SSTO 02

13 hours ago, CanOmer said:

I recommend career mode for beginners. Because there are few parts at the beginning, so it isn't confusing.

But then you have to manage funds and stuff. I'd think Science mode is better.

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

I myself wasted the day getting this totally silly and unnecessary thing to oribt.  It can get there with 1000m/s to spare, which is just too little to do anything useful without refueling.  So it's a failure.

1000 m/s is enough to get to Serran. Since your plane has mining equipment you can refuel and return. Or is that not important to you? (Serious question, not being rude or anything)

Anyway, what I did. I made a variant of my seaplane and replaced the pontoons with drop tanks. Now it has enough delta-v to get in orbit around Kerbin! :D My first ever chemical SSTO spaceplane. Oh well. I could probably make it to orbit without ditching the drop tanks, but then the CoM/CoT would be off-balanced.

On a related note, if you use decouplers to ditch something at launch, is it still an SSTO?

After my last carreer save melted, I kinda got burnt out on KSP. I took an extended break, but I started missing it. However, I needed something new to reinvigorate my KSP experience. So, I decided to try out 64k, and oh man, everything is fun again!

1suKYGQ.png

7isFC0P.png

UpJle3g.png

vqybOzs.png

aVTDurA.png

Aside from the gameplay changes that make getting to space an actual challenge, 64k lends a sense of scale that you just don't get in stock. I never realized what I was missing, and I can't wait to visit the other planets!

4 minutes ago, Brownhair2 said:

1000 m/s is enough to get to Serran. Since your plane has mining equipment you can refuel and return. Or is that not important to you? (Serious question, not being rude or anything)

Yeah, the point was to get to Serran, refuel, and return.  But 1000m/'s ain't quite enough.  More like 1500 is what I need.  About 1200 to transfer and the rest for enough orbital maneuvering and atmospheric flying to land on a nice, flat, extinct ocean floor.  This thing doesn't quite do it.  I think I'll scale it down and try again.

14 hours ago, CanOmer said:

I recommend career mode for beginners. Because there are few parts at the beginning, so it isn't confusing

On the contrary, I would recommend Sandbox to the beginners because they can attempt getting into orbit using Probe cores (or suborbital trajectories using Manned capsules) - without much in terms of risk.

Career mode, on the other hand, does have fewer parts but the risk of accidentally killing a kerbal is higher, as well as the fact that funds, rep, contracts, and science are a thing. Sure, there's not much, and it's a pretty straightforward objective to build your first rocket, but it can also be risky if the player decides to open chutes too late, or forget to place them on at all (or just plain doin' it wrong).

Anyway, that's besides the point. We're supposed to be talking about things we did today in KSP:

I built (yesterday) a probe that looks similar to Pioneer 10 (and/or 11) and today I flew it past Jool onto an interstellar trajectory...

Of course, that's the only thing I was able to do today in KSP, and I do have video footage of a huge chunk of the mission. I don't have footage for the ascent, though, but the ascent was rather boring, and given that it was already longer than 45 minutes (47, to be exact) it would just have made the video way longer than it needed to be.

I will try to get a link up sometime soon, but it may come tomorrow due to the fact that it's taken me about two hours to edit, and render the video (in HD) - and it really hasn't finished rendering.

Here's a shot from the mission, though:

qiBnwOP.jpg

1 hour ago, Red Dwarf said:

After my last carreer save melted, I kinda got burnt out on KSP. I took an extended break, but I started missing it. However, I needed something new to reinvigorate my KSP experience. So, I decided to try out 64k, and oh man, everything is fun again!

Aside from the gameplay changes that make getting to space an actual challenge, 64k lends a sense of scale that you just don't get in stock. I never realized what I was missing, and I can't wait to visit the other planets!

Welcome to the club, 64k has a way of doing that to you. Soon you'll swear you'll never want another scale again, then RO starts calling to you. 

And also ZOMG is that a Brig from Nausicaä in your sig?? Details, man!

Also also: great looking 64k ships :cool:

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

1 hour ago, Geschosskopf said:

Yeah, the point was to get to Serran, refuel, and return.  But 1000m/'s ain't quite enough.  More like 1500 is what I need.  About 1200 to transfer and the rest for enough orbital maneuvering and atmospheric flying to land on a nice, flat, extinct ocean floor.  This thing doesn't quite do it.  I think I'll scale it down and try again.

Whatever floats your boat. Or lifts your planes. Or whatever.

I need to start doing these posts later; that way I don't need to keep posting whenever I do something.

This was more yesterday, but the Emerald! Who has an hour to fly around building speed? I wanna go to space now. The name of the game is overkill:

Emerald.png

That's seven engines.

And then the Wanderer, which is today. My first SSTOs were air-breathers designed to be used on planets and moons with oxygen. Then I made the Duneshifter (see above), which could be used on planets without oxygen and could honestly be replaced by a rocket. So I decided to go all the way.

Wanderer.png

Air is overrated. Thanks to its vertical landing legs it can land anywhere! And it has drills, so you can hop from planet to planet refueling and never have to send another craft to refuel! At least, that's what I want it to do. It's still a WIP.

Variants of the Investigator probe arrived at Duna, Ike and Gilly to match the prototype already down on Eve.

The Ike mission went flawlessly.

screenshot153_zpsknvfedup.png

At Duna there was momentary confusion when the cameras were activated.

screenshot150_zpsrnqfuqfh.png

A combination of low Kerbol and ice causing a brief crisis of the navigational inexactitude variety.

Meanwhile on Gilly, forewarned by tales of a strange forcefield the designers had first checked if there was a nearby forest moon with some teddy bears to help out before deciding that appealed to the wrong demographic and came up with the landing assert-o-tron package.

screenshot154_zpsszmqvopx.png

Meanwhile back home it was discovered that the lander flying training missions to Mun and Minmus had been lugging two crates of rover parts and solar panels for about five missions. And letting them burn up on re-entry.

This is why it is important that you pack your own luggage before going on a trip abroad. M'Kay.

Oh, and more crater bashing. Because reasons.

screenshot148_zps8j5kzxtl.png

A lot going on in a short space of time... thank goodness for Kerbal Alarm Clock to keep me on schedule!

After 336 days on-orbit, the Station Alpha crew splashed down in Horus T-1; Horus T-2 will carry the next crew to the Skylab-type research station in a few days.

The probe Ptah B-3, already on orbit for some time, changed orbits for a new remote sensing mission by contract. 

The center "S0" section of the main truss for the KSS space station was successfully delivered and installed.  The port and starboard main solar array sections are nearing completion; once they are installed, KSS will be crewed and will begin operations (though there will still be a few modules to deliver here and there).

Horus 22 picked up Adzer Kerman, stranded in LKO, and headed for Minmus to investigate an anomalous reading; mission commander Brooke Kerman made an almost pinpoint landing on the slopes of the minty moon within easy reach of what appears to be yet another monolith.  Initial scans were made, and the main EVA is scheduled for today.

Hathor 2 arrived at Eve and decelerated into a polar orbit to map the areas Hathor 1 could not observe.  After completion of that mission, Hathor 2 will be re-purposed for an extended mission to Eve's small satellite, Gilly.

Sekhmet 1 had a good burn on its way to Moho and passed out of Kerbin's sphere of influence; the next event for it will be a course correction in 105 days.  Sekhmet 2 is still parked in Kerbin orbit, awaiting its more-economical transfer window in 10 days.