What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

7 minutes ago, Servo said:

I continued work on my X-15. Aerodynamics are a pain, especially minimizing drag. If I start about 8km and 300m/s (well within the capability of my B-52), I can make it to mach 3, but I was hoping for mach 5.

Z81cAG3.png

Nice, I've always wanted to simulate the x-15 flight, still not done it.

Edited by Triop

A contract asked to test a X-44 M.A.T.T.O.C.K. Engine on the surface of Kerbin (It is like RAPIER but for mk2 planes, in part mod "mk2 expansion") 

Instead of making a probe with the part test it and test it and take bak in few minutes I decided design a light SSTO with it. And I take the opportunity to train my new 2 Kerbals to a 1 start promotion.

Fsecori.png 

After the 1 orbit voyage. The plane take off with at only 60m/s speed up to 650m/s in a climb of 15º to 12000m It give me 500 delta-v in orbit, and land at less than 30m/s with flaps, easy to fly...

I check the for a new contract and I found an stranded Kerbal. I check the orbit and I found that is almost at the zenit KSC, I rush to the Hangar I I found the ship that I just used. I take with a free seat and had a very quick flight to intercept the new Kerbal.   

zhAdreF.png

Take orbit just at the place of the part, take the new Kerbal in an small EVA to the SSTO, and land at KSC in less than 45 min... I think that is the stranded that was less time in the space in this game. 

12 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

Low gravity means a lack of traction on the wheels, hence the difficulty getting up to speed, difficulty slowing down, and difficulty ascending steep slopes.

Goddammit! Friction: Override, friction value 5.0. With that even on Gilly rovers get good acceleration (can actually achieve escape velocity just by driving over even terrain).

Turning is another matter, and if you get your speed up, you'll be staying airborne 80% of the time so braking becomes tricky, but I really had no problems traveling Mun at 50m/s in 2x phys-warp in a small rover on ruggedized wheels.

I finally finished my Star Wars Rogue ONE U-wing craft and video.  Like all my designs this one is totally stock, click the link below to download the craft file and ENJOY!

DOWNLOAD THE U-WING CRAFT FILE HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uhf9ydfm6a26oei/U-Wing.craft?dl=0

DOWNLOAD THE LANDING PLATFORM-TIE STRIKER FILE HERE:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2ljpweezzagnoy/Landing Platform - Tie Striker.craft?dl=0

Jett

She fly's.....

screenshot179.png

All made possible by MechJeb and drone delivery vehicles...The crew is not happy... no one packed a disco ball for the activity module party night...

screenshot181.png

Not exactly to design specs, as I had to re-position some modules after crashing into the big solar panels, just be replaced in last delivery  8)

On 1/10/2017 at 10:06 PM, regex said:

Finished up my KSP Dakar 2017 run, pretty happy with the vehicle all things considered, and the course is awesome fun!

wtZVlvL.png

Try doin' it in a KF hoverkraft! I'll leave the video on this thread (as well as the Dakar thread) once it's complete

(1.1.3) Yesterday began at the Minmusport space station, where the ferry ship Next Objective had arrived at the tail end of business on Wednesday. Engineer Danuna Kerman boarded the station's Spamcan 7a lander along with tourists Megayne and Franbella Kerman. After departure, they were sent to pick up Pilot Lemsy Kerman from a high retrograde orbit for contract; rendezvous with his crippled ship went well and afterwards the Spamcan was sent down to the moon's surface. Danuna and Lemsy conducted flag-planting duties before the lander returned to the space station. Next Objective was refueled and the occupants of the lander were transferred back into the ship. Also embarking aboard Next Objective from the station was Pilot Buremy Kerman, the current capsule commander of Next Objective, who had given up his seat during his last visit in exchange for another refugee from Minmus orbit. After Next Objective departed the station, the Old Bessie 7 lander assigned to Minmus went down to the Deepwater Horizon refinery and picked up a load of fuel to store in the station's reserve tank in anticipation of the arrival of Strange Cargo.

The Bleepity-Bleep 7g probe arrived at Minmus and was placed in its final disposition. While making the final burn, I noticed that I had received a message stating that a tourist had made a successful flyby of Minmus; the only ship scheduled to enter the Minmus SOI was Strange Cargo and she wasn't supposed to arrive for another five hours, but I checked anyway - after I had made some course corrections using Protractor the day before, I had failed to reset the KAC alarm on Strange Cargo's arrival, and as a result she was there five hours ahead of schedule and was past periapsis by the time I noticed. A quick burn put her in orbit and rendezvous operations began. Next Objective arrived at Kerbin about the same time that Strange Cargo was affecting her rendezvous with the station; I attended to the aerobraking maneuver before resuming docking operations. Things were going well right up until I accidentally hit the left-Shift key on Strange Cargo about forty meters from the station. Slammed into the station and knocked the docking port off of Strange Cargo; KJR probably prevented a much more catastrophic event. Still, with no way to dock to the station, I felt that a revert was in order.

Revert put me all the way back to Old Bessie getting ready to land near Deepwater Horizon...

So yeah, I lost about half my day yesterday. But stuff happens. At least this way I can put Strange Cargo into orbit sooner, right?

8 hours ago, Sharpy said:

Goddammit! Friction: Override, friction value 5.0. With that even on Gilly rovers get good acceleration (can actually achieve escape velocity just by driving over even terrain).

Turning is another matter, and if you get your speed up, you'll be staying airborne 80% of the time so braking becomes tricky, but I really had no problems traveling Mun at 50m/s in 2x phys-warp in a small rover on ruggedized wheels.

How did you do that?  I can't seem to time warp while I'm driving a rover.

So last night screenshot, 29kps of dv at kerbin orbit, 9.2kps on duna encounter. Still 6kps short. Back to the drawing board we go. Retrograde missions are challenging. May actually make a challenge once i get a successful encounter.

Image of the final required burn at duna vs what i had in the tanks:

bDhVjV1.png

8 hours ago, algwat said:

She fly's.....

screenshot179.png

All made possible by MechJeb and drone delivery vehicles...The crew is not happy... no one packed a disco ball for the activity module party night...

What mod did the modules and solar arrays come from?

9 hours ago, Sharpy said:

Agreed, I don't seem to have trouble with rovers on the Mun, with settings like you describe.  As to earlier points about rover missions, yes they can require patience. I recently did a six-contract tour of the south polar surface.  Took days, but the mix of routefinding, visuals, and a feeling of new and unique exploration was a refreshing one.  

32 minutes ago, HalcyonSon said:

How did you do that?  I can't seem to time warp while I'm driving a rover.

Alt+.

That's phys-warp. You can apply it always, it goes only up to 4x (while lowest "normal" warp is x5) and it makes physics misbehave - things getting wobbly, stretchy, bouncy etc. You need a really firm, solid craft to operate at 4x confidently.

Also watch out to apply it while NOT holding any accelerate or turn keys. Alt+these means "trim", a permanent application of given adjustment. If you let go of all controls and your rover starts accelerating all by itself in a flat terrain, you most likely did alt+. while holding the accelerator and set a trim on accelerator. Use alt+x to clear all trims.

10 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Alt+.

That's phys-warp. You can apply it always, it goes only up to 4x (while lowest "normal" warp is x5) and it makes physics misbehave - things getting wobbly, stretchy, bouncy etc. You need a really firm, solid craft to operate at 4x confidently.

Also watch out to apply it while NOT holding any accelerate or turn keys. Alt+these means "trim", a permanent application of given adjustment. If you let go of all controls and your rover starts accelerating all by itself in a flat terrain, you most likely did alt+. while holding the accelerator and set a trim on accelerator. Use alt+x to clear all trims.

I'll double-check, but I recall getting a message that "Warp is not available while moving across the surface."  

Just now, HalcyonSon said:

I'll double-check, but I recall getting a message that "Warp is not available while moving across the surface."  

That's for normal warp, plain . without alt. You should be glad for that message. The moment normal warp kicks in the game stops checking for collisions with the surface. A very nasty surprise driving a rover over Minmus highlands (above 3000m, where KSP lets you switch normal warp on).

I was researching some high speed aircraft. This little unnamed thing, inspired by a design posted by someone here in the forum, was able to reach Mach 5 without any rocket propulsion. The 2 rapiers are on atmospheric mode. (In fact, the airplane doesn't carry any oxidiser).

VTiqitD.jpg

Edited by Freds

1 hour ago, Sharpy said:

Is that just clever mk2 clipping or did you combine some other mods to achieve that bulkhead profile?

(disregarding the obvious MK4 in front)

Mk2s arranged in sixfold symmetry around a core, with Bac9's procedural wings for the flat ends.

Spent the entire afternoon in excel trying to do ephemeries (sp?) for the Kerbol system. An earlier thread gave inspiration to a maneuver: Dropping out of Minmus orbit to low perikerbin for full use of the Oberth effect on an interplanetary mission. However, I need to know exactly when to drop out of Minmus orbit to have the correct orientation for my orbit, so here we go. Eccentric anormaly from mean anormaly came out fine, but true anormaly threw up an error, and VBA is not exactly the most helpful of its kind.